Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For those of you with a newborn/infant...

Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am in the same dilemma,(except my son is 2 months old) need an economical car, so am thinking about getting a Honda fit. what so you guy think about the car itself?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Oct 2 2009, 05:45 PM
I became an Uncle 9months ago. AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. My issue is crawling into a car to take the child in and out.
This.

My back is wonked from having to take my son in and out of the car. As much as I've been holding off, I think a minivan is in my near future.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!

I started a thread w/ a similar intent 3 or 4 weeks ago. As our son got bigger, we noticed how much more of a PITA it is to get him in and out of the Jetta or M3 vs. the Ridgeline, which kicked off the search for a more kid-friendly hauler that's not too much of a gas guzzler.

We've pretty much decided that the new Subie Forester XT Ltd. is what we want. It's just the right height, w/ wide-opening rear doors, for loading kids in and out, and the backseat has a lot of legroom, which means plenty of room for car seats w/o compromising front passenger legroom. None of the smaller SUV's we've tried could compare in this aspect, though we still haven't found an Equinox on a lot.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Any small car will generally work (Civic or larger). We use a Civic with two kids and still have plenty of room.

Biggest thing is to make sure the baby seat fits in the back without rubbing against one of the front seats. You can fit just about anything else (big stroller, playpen, etc, etc) in the trunk or on the rear floor.

That said, a small SUV is probably the best overall - easy to get kids in and out of, moderately fuel efficient, and a little safer overall as well. A CR-V (or Forester or Equinox or RAV4 or Rogue) will probably do just fine as well. Or, Honda Element if you like a more active lifestyle with a bit of funk.

A Mazda5 may be the best of both worlds but it's pretty bland inside.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM

we get along fine with a civic ex 4 door with our 1 child.

Of course 4 doors makes things easier, but everything we carry fits fine in a civic, even when we spend $250+ on a grocery run. Stroller, car seat, diaper bag, even portable playpen for going to grandmas house. Unless you are moving or you just want a new car, the accord would be fine (unless it is a coupe).

Congrats on the little one on the way. What a blast! Get ready for the ride of your life, and sleep now.....while you can.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM

sliding doors are a God-send. if you never have you might never miss em, but once you have them...it makes a huge difference, IMO. i have a 4 door car and an odyssey. When I had my first kid I thought it would be fun to drive him around in the evo. After comparing getting him in and out all the time vs the odyssey it's an easy choice. I have also take him in and out of a Pilot again the odyssey is much, much easier. I bit the bullet and couldn't be happier. Good luck. Kid/s are awesome.

PS: honestly the sliding doors and extra room are better for when the kid/s are small. The car seat you have to take in and out with them in is very hard to get out of 2 door car and even a 4 door car especially when parked close to people. The sliding doors don't have that issue.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 AM

hey guys thanks for all the advice. my wife and i are both very very excited and very very nervous!

we'll be test driving alot of cars in the near future, and see how it goes...

-c
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 AM

When my kids were young (before school) we had a CRV and it was perfect. When they got in school it was to small and we moved to the Pilot/MDX because you simply need more room (especially if you move around their friends).
Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

For one kid, you don't NEED an SUV, but you do need space. My wife and I opted for a CR-V. The cavern opening makes getting things in and out much easier. Also, shopping with a regular car becomes a hassle. Trips to Costco become more difficult when before you pull into the parking lot, your trunk is already 1/2 filled with a stroller, diapers, etc etc etc. Get a crossover, or at LEAST a 4 door wagon.

Quick Reply: For those of you with a newborn/infant...