Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Third Generation Prelude

Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Generation Prelude

I own a 1989 Honda Prelude, and I am interested in a S2000. I don't know much about the S2000. Honestly I only recently became interested. I got the sixth anniversary edition of D Sport Magazine. Along with it came a "free dvd". They talked about C-West and them having a S2K that was fastest in it's class. They said internal wise, the block was much stock. I guess I should get to the point now.

I know that there is a major difference between an old Prelude and the S2K. I was just want to here it from the people that know the car the bast. What are the advantages and disadvantages in comparing these two impressive compact sport cars?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both a 2005 S2K and 1998 Prelude.

I can say in terms of handling, the S2k is so far ahead of the 'lude it's crazy. It handles more poorly than my 2003 Celica. FWD just isn't as much fun, especially in older models.

Also, the power difference is crazy when you hit vtec.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 AM

I owned an 88 prelude a long time ago. Basically, if you like your lude, you will LOVE the S2k. The Lude handles like a little go-kart especially with the 4WS, and then the S2k just takes it another 5 levels.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 1995 4WS Prelude and I thought it was a great car, despite being 10 years old it drove and handled perfectly, the 4WS gave it great nimbleness, especially going around roundabouts and the lane change ability was great. The S2000 takes it to another level, it's change of direction is just brilliant and getting back into the Prelude after driving the S2000 demonstrates that the cars are worlds apart. I took a corner in the Prelude and couldn't believe how much body roll there was despite the Prelude being capable of out handling a lot of modern day cars.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 PM

Before I say this, I want to let everyone know I'm not talking smack. I don't care about the Sh***y fourth gen Prelude. I am talking about the Third Gen only. The third generation has no body roll. I can't even tell I'm going around a curve most of the time. The third gen is lacking some power. This is why I plan to do the H22A swap. Back to the point.

I want to here the disadvantages to this car.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, no Prelude would be considered a sports car by an unbiased party.

I had a '97 or '98 Type SH (the Shitty fourth gen LOL) and loved it - it outhandled any fwd car I've ever driven thanks to the great ATTS diff.

But...it was still fwd, and no sports car. It was a great, fun, and economical dd, though.

Since you asked to "here" the disadvantages, "hear" is what the S2000 has on a 3rd gen 'lude:
- more power w/ higher redline
- less dated styling
- rwd
- lsd
- convertible top
- better shifter
- better brakes
- better handling
Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Expeditious Racing,Sep 1 2008, 02:01 AM
What are the advantages and disadvantages in comparing these two impressive compact sport cars?
I'm not really sure you can compare the two. One is impressive and the other is not.

Disadvantages of the S2000 is what you're after? Slight lack of low end torque and luggage space is about all I can come up with.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Expeditious Racing,Sep 1 2008, 12:01 AM
What are the advantages and disadvantages in comparing these two impressive compact sport cars?
Sorry, but the Prelude, especially an '89, had never been a sports car. This is like comparing an apple to an orangutan. Everything is different. The only disadvantage I can think of going from Prelude to S2000 is room.

I owned a '99 (shitty, as you say) Prelude SH and liked it a lot. Btw, I have a feeling you're still a kid, so I'd recommend keeping the Prelude.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Sep 1 2008, 04:22 PM
Btw, I have a feeling you're still a kid
A very immature one at that based on the 4th Gen comment but let's not forget...he ain't talkin' smack.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Expeditious Racing,Sep 1 2008, 01:03 PM
Before I say this, I want to let everyone know I'm not talking smack. I don't care about the Sh***y fourth gen Prelude. I am talking about the Third Gen only. The third generation has no body roll. I can't even tell I'm going around a curve most of the time. The third gen is lacking some power. This is why I plan to do the H22A swap. Back to the point.

I want to here the disadvantages to this car.
Awesome attitude

The S2k will wax a stock prelude in handling, and you think the lude has no body roll..
Lacking power? I think you meant no power.

Ok you want to here some disadvantages over hear huh? less room, less room, umm...less room. That's about the only disadvantage I can think of. oh yeah tires will cost a few bux more for the S2k than the Lude.

Quick Reply: Third Generation Prelude