Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of getting a 50th anniv Corvette... opinions?

Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you get a deal you cannot pass up on those two cars...just do it. I wouldn't worry too much about resale value if your heart's set on one of those cars. If you get a really good deal, who knows you might not loose too much when it comes to selling that car.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:56 AM

If you buy the 50th anniver. vette at MSRP you are paying $8,000 or more in DEALER PROFIT. You will not get this back. If you know someone who will sell at invoice, buy it and you will just get a little killed on resale.

If you drive this car for a long time the seating position is not comfortable, but with the power seat you can adjust them so they are tolerable.

If you want a comfortable convertible get the "jag" or mercedes SL 500
Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Saab9-3

Yeah- I've had both of those in mind while looking for a new car. That is why I hardly ever buy American and why I have never bought an Audi. I have no affinity for German cars- it was simply the style and comfort of the A4 that drew me to it. I'm looking for a more comfortable car than my s2k (which is why I didnt mention an '03 cobra 'vert).
what about an m3 convertible?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by weaseler

what about an m3 convertible?
Nice cars, but a little expensive. It could easily end up being $65k otd.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:43 AM

ouch! I had thought the m3 was in the price range of a corvette... I guess with the 'vert you take a big hit.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 AM

an M3 coupe is in the same range as the vette, but the droptop adds a few grand, and then the options add up real quick. BMW is notorious for expensive options.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M3 price is close enough to the Z06 to call it even.

I'm in the same camp that says, buy the Z06. I think the 50th anniversary model is a cool idea but not at any gouged price. If you buy any new car "for a few months" you're getting raped financially.

Hard to believe but GM offers 0% financing over 5 years. That makes it hard to resist. The Z06 is fast.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:51 PM

A few thoughts.

1) There's plenty of good and bad to say about C5's but IMO, they're cool cars. I don't own one for many reasons but the biggest are: (A)I'm uncomfortable spending that much $ on a car and (B) as an all around package I still like my S2K better than anything else I've driven (under $40K).
2) The suspension system on the 50th anniversary is apparantly amazing. I've not driven one but Autoweek and other trade rags that I actually think know what they're talking about (not C&D) think so, anyways.
3) I like the simplicity of the manual top on the C5 'vert and despite having to get out of the car to put the top up or down, I'd actually prefer that top (with its trick hard boot) to our heavier, more likely to break, power top in the S.
4) The c5's that I've driven (again not an anniversary) all went like stink (esp. the 385bhp Z06 I drove), stopped well, sounded awesome, and handled pretty well once I got used to how big the cars are.
5) You will get your ass handed to you in depreciation if you're thinking about buying this car for only a few months. As Shyong pointed out earlier, the subvented interest rates that Detroit is offering on its products is going to (and already is) butcher resale values on new cars (esp. those Detroit models). Any new car you drive off the lot depreciates like a freaking stone the minute you pull onto the blvd. but when you're cost of buying a new one is 0% interest and a used one is 5.0% interest you effectively kill your second hand market. This is something that will bite Detroit in the ass. Mark my words.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:54 PM

i don't know if i missed it but, why are planning to buy a car and sell it in a few months. just curious. I would think if you are willing to look at an audi a4, then the 330i convert might in the same ballpark. The m3convert is too expensive, a friend of mine got one for $62k- and that was with only some of the options.

From a short term investment standpoint, the vette is by far the worst. i would go for a used vette instead.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:16 PM

I am now thinking about getting the removable-top coupe. If I can get it at about $4k under MSRP (with discounts I have), will it be worth it? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys have been helpful.

Regarding the 330ci, I used to have one and I wasnt hugely fond of it.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a 50th anniv Corvette... opinions?