Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking Of An Evo

Old 07-19-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The decision between an Evo and STI purely depends on your personal preference. STI = a little faster, nice interior, 6 speed while EVO = a little better handling, has an audio system, 5 speed..

My decision was based on what I could afford and looks just because they were comparable. To each his/her own, I did not really like the look of the STI compared to the Evo.

Although I hang out with a ton of STIs, Rexes, and I have grown to really like the STI.

I have known 2 Evos with clutch replacements out of like 7 or 8 Evos around this area. Mitsu only "warranties" their clutches for like 12K anyhow so count on getting an aftermarket clutch eventually....at least if you plan on launching, auto-xing, dragway racing, etc.

Both have it's issues, I really think it's a tossup to personal preference....
Old 07-19-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LilJapnBoy,Jul 19 2004, 05:23 PM
The decision between an Evo and STI purely depends on your personal preference. STI = a little faster, nice interior, 6 speed while EVO = a little better handling, has an audio system, 5 speed..
2005 STi has audio system now (6 disc cd), nicer interior (saab) and also better handling.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:02 AM

Get an 05 STi.... you wont regret it.

If money is an issue, then a 04 STi will work out just fine too...

that's what I did... it came with a music system and all too...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an XT
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 AM

Does anyone know the 1/4 and 0-60 times for the STi? My friend was asking me about them but I do not really know much about them aside from them being fast. I would check at i-club but I can not find that site anymore. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:06 PM

I believe the 1/4 is 13.0 or somewhere in that area and 0-60 in about 4.5 with the right launch of course.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:09 PM

i believe most people who needs to have their clutch repaired under 15k mi are driving their evos agressively (hard launches at every stop light). i traded my '01 s2k for an '03 evo this march. yes, i missed the 6 speed, the vtec, and open air, but that all is nothing compared to the evo's quick steering, good handling, the low end torque, and a turbo!!. not to mentioned that if you launch your evo correctly, it'll throw you back to your seat.

the standard 5 spd evo is not too much different from the 6 spd evo mr due this fall. they have really close gear ratio. however, if you really want a top of the line evo, check our the mr. it is lighter, has a bigger turbo, bilstein shocks and suspension, bbs wheels, ACD, 6spd, and etc...did i mentioned that it pulled a .98g on the skidpad?

5k mi on my evo so far, and not a single problem...
Old 07-19-2004, 01:29 PM

The clutch issue is blown way out of proportion. My EVO has 20k on the dial and the clutch is still fine. I do launch it from time to time but I don't abuse the car. Sure, if you're at the 1/4 mile track every weekend and doing 6000 bombs then of course you're going to go through clutches.

Here's my review. The car has been great. No problems other than: cheap paint and brake pad transfer (solved by a few 80-0mph runs). The interior is nice and simple. Plenty of room in the back seat for even 6' 6" folks....actually I wouldn't say plenty but my father-in-law did fit without any issues.

Would I buy it again? Don't know. I'm a "grass is always greener on the otherside" kind of guy and there has certainly been days that I wish I got an STI, but I also don't regret the purchase. I'm sure that if I jumped over to the STi that there would be plenty of things that I would miss with the EVO. If I could I'd own every car but that's not in the cards.

There is no such thing as a perfect car...every car has a trade off. With the EVO, the interior plastics, paint quality, and gauges are certainly bad but the car drives SO nicely. It is by far the most fun car to drive that I've owned. When sitting in the driver's seat...everything that relates to driving is exceptional: seats, steering wheel, steering ratio, gear ratios, pedal placement, and feel of the road. The EVO shines as a "drivers" car....and I believe this is why it won the majority of the comparisons. In the end it's up to you to figure out what compromises you want to make.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVO 8 Do it!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

nice post abusive wombat. I agree that the clutch, clutch line, etc... is totally blown out of proportion...my car should have died over a year ago if all that was true.... hell i drag raced it with under 500 miles on the clock to a 13.4.

The only thing I would have done differently was waited it out a little now that I know how horrible resale is..... probably 5 months in you could have gotten a nice slightly used one for $27k.

it is definatly a great car.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of An Evo