Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of buying this C5 Z06

Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of buying this C5 Z06

It's probably the best time to pick up one of these
It's a 2001 Corvette C5 Z06, has around 20,000 miles on it, it seems to be very clean, haven't driven it yet, but thinking seriously about getting it.
the sticker price is $27900.
what do you guys think? I have some concerns, I am not a Corvette expert, is the price fair, if not what should I aim for?
how is the handling ? is there anything I should look for when test driving it?
this is first MY, I think it has the sub 400hp motor, any reliability issues?
I know there are a lot of Corvette owners on this forum, or at least people know enough about them to give good advice, either tell me go for it, or stay away, I am not in a hurry to get one, and there will always be more for sale if this one is not worth it.
what do you guys think?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems a little overpriced for a 2001. Ask the C5Z06 guys on the corvette forum. I would look for 2002 or newer. You can buy a used C6 around $30K.

here is a nice 03z with 50k.
2003 Z06
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Aug 31 2008, 07:24 PM
overpriced. I woul look for 2002 or newer.
+1
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I would rather buy MY02-MY04 unless I could find a white MY01.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Aug 31 2008, 07:24 PM
overpriced. I woul look for 2002 or newer.
whats a good price for this one? are you recommending 2002+ just for the engine or there are other things ?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mzk784,Aug 31 2008, 09:34 PM
whats a good price for this one? are you recommending 2002+ just for the engine or there are other things ?
Column lock

more column lock

Required reading

"New for 2002 Z06

LS6 engine (Z06 model) receives 20 horsepower increase, to 405 hp, and receives 15 foot pounds more torque for a total of 400 lbs. ft. of torque
Pre-cat deletion
Revised rear shock valving
Aluminum front and rear stabilizer bar links
Aluminum transmission cooler case
Magnesium wheels no longer available (coupe and convertible)
Z06 wheels are now cast aluminum, not forged aluminum
Head-Up Display (HUD) now standard
Cam/Valve/Spring change
Electron Blue exterior color

Model Lineup Engine Transmission
Coupe 5.7-liter V8 w/ 4-speed automatic (S) 350 hp (LS1) 6-speed manual (O)
Convertible 5.7-liter V8 w/ 4-speed automatic (S) 350 hp (LS1) 6-speed manual (O)
Z06e 5.7-liter V8 w/ 6-speed manual 405 hp (LS6)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Release: June 20, 2001
CHEVROLET BUILDS THE QUICKEST Z06 CORVETTE EVER, AT 405 HP, AND REFINES COUPE AND CONVERTIBLE
DETROIT - For nearly 50 years, the Corvette has had a special place in America's garage. Crafted from a precise blend of power, performance, style and comfort, Corvette's success has been based on a willingness to embrace advancing technology while remaining true to its heritage. Today's Corvette exemplifies this philosophy like no other.

More Power
Last year's introduction of the Z06 Corvette, based on the former hardtop model and the legendary 1960s Z06 option package, is aimed at true performance enthusiasts at the upper end of the high-performance market. And now, an extra boost of 20 hp, to 405, makes Z06 the quickest production Corvette ever.

This upgrade to the LS6 engine's output is the result of new hollow stem valves, a higher-lift camshaft, a low restriction mass air flow (MAF) sensor and a new low restriction air cleaner design. Eliminating the PUP converter from the exhaust system enables better flow of spent gasses and reduces vehicle weight, without compromising Corvette's NLEV (National Low Emission Vehicle) status.

Suspension Upgrades
The Z06-specific FE4 High-Performance suspension system features a larger front stabilizer bar, a stiffer rear leaf spring and specific camber settings - all calibrated for maximum control during high-speed operation. The 2002 model year Z06 also has new rear shock valving for a more controlled ride.

Although retaining the same design and color finish, the unique aluminum Z06 wheels are now produced using a cast rather than a forged process. The magnesium wheel option for Coupes and Convertibles is no longer available.

Maximum Agility
The foundation of Corvette's agile handling is hydroformed frame rails. Its four-wheel independent front suspension features cast aluminum upper and lower A-arms. The Z06 and models equipped with the available Z51 package now have aluminum front stabilizer bar links for lighter weight. A transverse leaf spring system is used for the independent rear suspension.

All Corvettes have the second-generation Active Handling system as standard equipment. The system features dynamic rear brake proportioning to prevent rear wheel lockup; rear brake stability control to assist the driver in maintaining control under light braking and high acceleration conditions; integral traction control calibrated to allow drivers to experience the vehicle's power and handling while maintaining control over excessive wheelspin. It also has an on/off switch and a "Competitive Mode" which allows the driver to disengage the traction control feature without giving up Active Handling's other benefits.

Additional Refinements
Now standard on Z06, the Corvette's Head-Up Display (HUD) projects vehicle speed and many other gauges digitally on the windshield ahead of the steering wheel, enabling drivers to keep their eyes on the road. HUD remains an option on Coupes and Convertibles.

For 2002, the transmission cooler case is constructed of lightweight cast aluminum, replacing the previous stainless steel design.

Corvette's exterior color palette adds Electron Blue, replacing Navy Blue Metallic previously offered on Coupes and Convertibles. Electron Blue also takes the place of Speedway White as one of five choices on the Z06."
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

$28K is too high, albeit the mileage is good. You can get a more recent model for that money.

Btw, that shifter is funky.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM

I think you should shop around more.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM

Remember you can typically negotiate at least a couple grand, they are expecting this. If you could get it under 25 it would be a fair deal. I'd also go for an 02+ because in the future these are the models everyone will want=better resale while owning a better car.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Aug 31 2008, 07:50 PM
$28K is too high, albeit the mileage is good. You can get a more recent model for that money.

Btw, that shifter is funky.
I agree. That whole center console is funky as well. Straight out of an late 90's Astro Van. At that price I would say no. For 28k there are so many new or like-new cars you can get that perform amazing. But if one has an absolute hard on for the C5 then go for it.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying this C5 Z06