Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR

Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in a very similar boat financially/career/age wise. When my wife and I graduated from school and began our careers making decent money, I realized I had no interest in modifying cars for the sake of modifying cars (if that makes sense). I have developed a new passion for the "driving" experience that I get from cars, and that being said, I finally began tracking like I always dreamed of while in college. Maybe that is similar to the journey you are on.

The way I see you, you have consciously embraced the fact that having a certain car with whatever mods will simply get boring after a while, whether it be 3 months, 6 months, a year etc. Maybe what you are looking for is the driving/racing experience of cars, which is something that is endlessly evolving. It is more of a journey that has no true end goal, but rather journey itself provides happiness. With building nice show cars/buying nice sports cars, there is an end goal, and when you finally get there, it all ends and gets boring (pretty logical right?). With driving/racing, that doesn't necessarily exist (at least for me, if you are competing, that's a different story).

Back to our life similarities, you could probably afford to start tracking a car if that is what you want. For me, I have have about $20K into my s2k (including the car at $14K), which has shown to be a reliable track/weekend car. Thanks to Honda, we can really track the heck out of this car in stock form (with a few preventative mods depending on the year of the car), which keeps tracking very affordable. All I have done to mine is safety (roll bar, seats, harnesses) and it has truly taken my passion for cars and driving to the next level.

In my opinion this also separates two different types of car people: 1) People who like buying fancy car stuff, driving nice cars, etc. 2) People who have a passion pushing their machines to the absolute limits, while doing some soul searching in the process. Neither is better than the other in my eyes, everyone is different. It's about what YOU want from it. I could personally never own a sports car and not want to track it every weekend. When it comes to commuting, my 1986 toyota pickup gets me to work perfectly fine everyday .
Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by profit_child
Originally Posted by kix' timestamp='1431536422' post='23611587
I've owned both. a 2013 GTR and a 2013 991 C4S.

Here's my take.

GTR

At least once in their life everyone should own a high horsepower car that is properly built from the factory. It's an experience that is beyond what anyone can say here. True tires/rotors are expensive. I replaced all 4 tires at 10k miles and the brake rotors at 20k and this was with very spirited street driving (no track days). I ended up selling it because after 25k of ownership it just went numb for me. Fast car, great chassis, gobs of power but I got bored of it

Porsche

Again... another car you should own at least once in your life. There's a reason why a Porsche is a Porsche and you will NEVER understand it until you OWN one (not test drive). It's a car that grows on you during ownership and really really fast. Think of marrying your girlfriend and finding a reason to fall in love with her all over again the next day. It's that good. IMO the two best Porsches to get is the NA S/GTS or GT3. I'd stay away from the Turbo because the flat 6 sounds too muted on that. Anyways what I've appreciated in my Porsche is the simple fact that it is over 50 years of perfection. Spend more time in her and you'll notice how damn balanced and smooth the engine is, how amazing the suspension is, how etc is etc is. In life we always get denied having perfect things - that's why I dont have a supermodel wife. However, with a Porsche I do have one of the things on the earth that is near perfection.
aawesome info! exactly what i was looking to find!

Great Info. I agree. The GTR is fast and power is very accessible but that's about it. I mean you are not trying to break some track record or something, so I got bored of the GTR after a few 0-140mph runs. And it is not really a looker too.

The Porsche is just like what kix mentioned. It grows on you and that you will enjoy the car more and more. I have never own a Porsche before but I feel the same way with my NSX. I am on my six years of ownership, and I still enjoy the NSX as much or more than when I just purchased it.

I wish one day I can afford a new GT3 so I can pass it onto my kids.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, the thoughtful responses in this thread go to show how great S2ki is. No flaming, just great advice and positivity.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

It isn't even a debate, given your age, financial position, and just the rediculous cost of ownership (they are one of the most expensive cars to insure and maintain), buying a house and keeping the S is a MUCH smarter financial investment for your future. Hell sell some of those parts for an even better down payment. If your not quite ready to buy a house then save for one. With marriage comes lots of other life events that cost $
Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd say go for it. Right now, you are in the position to do it. Once you're married and have kids, it will be harder to do this.

Is it the smartest thing to do? Probably not.

Just some breakdowns of what I spent in the 4 years I've owned the GTR.

Tires - 1400 a set
Trans fluid - 600 + labor
Diff - 230 + labor
Oil changes - 160. Last time I paid I think it was $120.
POS - 600 - This is dependent on what needs to be done.

Of course, this also depends on how much you drive the car and what not.

If you can find a trusted GTR mechanic, you can save money on the labor and POS.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info guys... Some of you go on about future ect. And I do hear you on this. But i work to have what i want. lets not forget we are all car guys... I understand its important to plan for the future, invest, and be stable if anything happens. Which i have always done, and wouldnt change. I have a savings and investments and other hobbys. This decision would meer come down too if i want to pay 400$ a month for a car note, for a 911 S (997) or GTR. Or not to have a car note and keep what I have thats all.

Mileage Sad to say i hardly would drive it. Not worried about Maintance too much I put 2,000 miles on my S in 2014... I would make a good purchase if i would ever move on for the S but no rush. And do all my own work that can be done from my garage.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ludeguy13
We are in a very similar boat financially/career/age wise. When my wife and I graduated from school and began our careers making decent money, I realized I had no interest in modifying cars for the sake of modifying cars (if that makes sense). I have developed a new passion for the "driving" experience that I get from cars, and that being said, I finally began tracking like I always dreamed of while in college. Maybe that is similar to the journey you are on.

The way I see you, you have consciously embraced the fact that having a certain car with whatever mods will simply get boring after a while, whether it be 3 months, 6 months, a year etc. Maybe what you are looking for is the driving/racing experience of cars, which is something that is endlessly evolving. It is more of a journey that has no true end goal, but rather journey itself provides happiness. With building nice show cars/buying nice sports cars, there is an end goal, and when you finally get there, it all ends and gets boring (pretty logical right?). With driving/racing, that doesn't necessarily exist (at least for me, if you are competing, that's a different story).

Back to our life similarities, you could probably afford to start tracking a car if that is what you want. For me, I have have about $20K into my s2k (including the car at $14K), which has shown to be a reliable track/weekend car. Thanks to Honda, we can really track the heck out of this car in stock form (with a few preventative mods depending on the year of the car), which keeps tracking very affordable. All I have done to mine is safety (roll bar, seats, harnesses) and it has truly taken my passion for cars and driving to the next level.

In my opinion this also separates two different types of car people: 1) People who like buying fancy car stuff, driving nice cars, etc. 2) People who have a passion pushing their machines to the absolute limits, while doing some soul searching in the process. Neither is better than the other in my eyes, everyone is different. It's about what YOU want from it. I could personally never own a sports car and not want to track it every weekend. When it comes to commuting, my 1986 toyota pickup gets me to work perfectly fine everyday .
Great info man! will ponder..
Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 AM

How come whenever a thread about "Should I buy this car" it turns into an investment lesson/priority mentor session? I think the OP just want some opinion on the GTR and 911.

OP, you kind of lead someone people to tell you what you should do with your money by telling them how much you make and such, so it does not help your case.

Anyway, get the GTR if that was your dream. If not, skip it and don't look back. Have you even driven one yet? Go drive one and you will know.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by HGL1668
How come whenever a thread about "Should I buy this car" it turns into an investment lesson/priority mentor session? I think the OP just want some opinion on the GTR and 911.

OP, you kind of lead someone people to tell you what you should do with your money by telling them how much you make and such, so it does not help your case.

Anyway, get the GTR if that was your dream. If not, skip it and don't look back. Have you even driven one yet? Go drive one and you will know.
AGREEDDD BUD, yes i have driven a 2015 :/ have not driven a 2011... It is VERY different. VERY Fast. VERY Big. felt like i was at home playing Gran-turismo... As for PORSCHE i have a driven a 2014 cayman, and cayman S,an a 2006 911, and 2008 911 S.. All of which i prefered the cayman S by far with PDK. 911 S was Great I did feel the engine behind the rear axle and after driving both back to back at a family BBQ i did prefer the cayman roadster feel.. THAT PDK! GOD I LOVE THAT PDK!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about an M4? With a JB4 it can run with GTRs on the freeway. Not the best sounding car though but YMMV. It's kind of between the GTR and the Porsche IMHO

Sorry for the OT... it's just that I have a boner for one

Pls proceed with regular programming

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR