Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR

Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by profit_child
I have a good savings were i could buy the r35 outright if i really really really wanted too... but i wouldnt...
I could buy 10 of them outright....but I still wouldn't. Hell, if I dumped all of my assets tomorrow, rented a tiny apartment, and ate nothing but ramen noodles, I could technically swing a 918 Spyder. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. Just sayin'...

I won't say anything else to dissuade you. Proceed with caution if you go down this road.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey. YOLO man. What happen if you die tomorrow?

But, don't get the GTR. You will be bored with it in 2 weeks. I got bored of it in one day.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a savings for a house...
In addition to an emergency fund with 6 months to a year socked away?

I understand the concern for the future retirement ect.
What have you done? Are your 401k contributions maxed? IRA(s)? Taxable account(s)? Are those all projected to provide the amount you need for the number of years you need in retirement and accounting for future dollars/inflation/etc? Definitely start early on all of this as it helps with leveraging compound interest.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

You might want to look into the consumable part pricing on the GTR. Tires, brakes...transmissions (if you track the car).....
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HGL1668
Technically...you only die once...you live every moment until then.

YODO!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM
kix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned both. a 2013 GTR and a 2013 991 C4S.

Here's my take.

GTR

At least once in their life everyone should own a high horsepower car that is properly built from the factory. It's an experience that is beyond what anyone can say here. True tires/rotors are expensive. I replaced all 4 tires at 10k miles and the brake rotors at 20k and this was with very spirited street driving (no track days). I ended up selling it because after 25k of ownership it just went numb for me. Fast car, great chassis, gobs of power but I got bored of it

Porsche

Again... another car you should own at least once in your life. There's a reason why a Porsche is a Porsche and you will NEVER understand it until you OWN one (not test drive). It's a car that grows on you during ownership and really really fast. Think of marrying your girlfriend and finding a reason to fall in love with her all over again the next day. It's that good. IMO the two best Porsches to get is the NA S/GTS or GT3. I'd stay away from the Turbo because the flat 6 sounds too muted on that. Anyways what I've appreciated in my Porsche is the simple fact that it is over 50 years of perfection. Spend more time in her and you'll notice how damn balanced and smooth the engine is, how amazing the suspension is, how etc is etc is. In life we always get denied having perfect things - that's why I dont have a supermodel wife. However, with a Porsche I do have one of the things on the earth that is near perfection.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

If you are into modding cars, which it certainly looks like that is you... That is not going to end by going to GTR or any car. You are not one to leave something as is, nothing wrong with that, but keep that mind calculating your budget.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HGL1668

But, don't get the GTR. You will be bored with it in 2 weeks. I got bored of it in one day.
tru that!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kix
I've owned both. a 2013 GTR and a 2013 991 C4S.

Here's my take.

GTR

At least once in their life everyone should own a high horsepower car that is properly built from the factory. It's an experience that is beyond what anyone can say here. True tires/rotors are expensive. I replaced all 4 tires at 10k miles and the brake rotors at 20k and this was with very spirited street driving (no track days). I ended up selling it because after 25k of ownership it just went numb for me. Fast car, great chassis, gobs of power but I got bored of it

Porsche

Again... another car you should own at least once in your life. There's a reason why a Porsche is a Porsche and you will NEVER understand it until you OWN one (not test drive). It's a car that grows on you during ownership and really really fast. Think of marrying your girlfriend and finding a reason to fall in love with her all over again the next day. It's that good. IMO the two best Porsches to get is the NA S/GTS or GT3. I'd stay away from the Turbo because the flat 6 sounds too muted on that. Anyways what I've appreciated in my Porsche is the simple fact that it is over 50 years of perfection. Spend more time in her and you'll notice how damn balanced and smooth the engine is, how amazing the suspension is, how etc is etc is. In life we always get denied having perfect things - that's why I dont have a supermodel wife. However, with a Porsche I do have one of the things on the earth that is near perfection.
aawesome info! exactly what i was looking to find!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will also say this about the financial side of things. High end sports cars are NEVER a good idea from a financial point of view. Running costs are much higher than all of the boring crap normal people buy (Camry, etc) and 99% of the time they depreciate in value. You will lose money on it. It is not an investment and if all you care about is dollars and cents, then drive your Camry to your 8-5 job, have 2.5 kids, save everything you own and by all means stay far far away from sports cars.

You make a decent amount of money and it sounds like your life is *currently* pretty lean (low cost) - which is good. Unfortunately you have some potentially large costs just over the horizon (wedding, children, house). What you do from here is YOUR decision and not anyone else's. Depending on how much money you have saved and can save in the near future, I'd say you could probably swing a $40k sports car. Sell the S2000 and its parts for $25k, add $15-20k to that, and you're done. Going for a $60k sports car might be a bit of a stretch, but it's a calculated risk and a tradeoff of in terms of what matters most to you. This needs to be a decision that you're completely on board with and willing to commit to. If you're willing to make the right sacrifices and you REALLY want it, I say go for it. If you're one of these people who has automotive ADD and just wants a new toy every 6 months, I would strongly recommend just sitting it out. Buying an expensive car is a whole nother ball game from just buying car parts because you're bored.

I was in a similar situation as you earlier this year. I was looking to upgrade to a Cayman. I test drove a few older models, a few newer models... one thing led to another and I wound up purchasing a brand new car. I spent more than I had originally intended, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized this was something I wanted to do. I wanted to buy something very special for myself that was going to be with me for a long time. The new car will be a very long term acquisition for me - think decades, not months or years. Because of that, I was willing to make sacrifices to buy something I really wanted. I would get hurt pretty bad financially if I turned around and sold it within the first few years.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the s2000 for a GTR