Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about going to the dark(er)side

Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When do you go to the track?

#totallycallingyououtRiley

Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1

When I have time, which is never. :\ But I'd like to go later this year. Also, Fontana Speedway is having an event on August 11-12th... hmm
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1374640911' post='22683767

When I have time, which is never. :\ But I'd like to go later this year. Also, Fontana Speedway is having an event on August 11-12th... hmm
ACS sucks. It's like driving on the freeway - just step on the gas pedal the whole time. It's really about "how big are your balls?" Are you willing to flatfoot it through turns 1 and 2 all the way up to the chicane?

I've stopped going to the ACS events. The fee more expensive than all tracks in SoCal, and the consequence for error is almost always a concrete wall waiting for you. The only thing ACS has going for it is proximity - but even then, that's not enough to get me to go there. I'd actually rather run the auto-x events they host there than run the Roval (which i've been on on 4 separate occasions).

Back to the topic on hand - get the Z06. You already have an FI AWD car. Also, as far as driving the cars 10/10ths... I agree that they both take a lot of skill to drive 10/10ths - my perceived difference is this. It's a lot easier to drive the GTR 7/10ths than the Z06; however, driving the GTR 10/10ths might actually be harder than the Z06 mainly due to the fact that it's probably a lot more difficult to actually feel the limits of the GTR at 10/10ths and you don't realize that you're exceeding them, whereas the Z06 will be more communicative about those limits via slip angle etc. etc. (my perspective is based on STI vs. S2K, which I've owned/experienced on track and I equate that comparison to the GTR vs. Z06 - in the end it's all speculative and on paper since i've driven neither).
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do ACS. Make either BW or October with SV in las vegas You can bring the gf and make a vacay out of it.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
The car is pretty easy to drive a 7/10 but when you are 10/10 on a track flogging it that's a whole different story. The car is so fast and the limits are so high that when you're on the ragged edge it let's go in a pretty spectacular fashion when you go over the threshold. In a RWD car you know when you're starting to get in trouble earlier on.

Yes it's easier to drive than a Z06 with the same power, but since when did having a car that was harder to drive become more fun? To me the advancement in engineering and the ability to push the limits are a good thing. To me skittish handling is a bad thing, look at high level motorsports like F1. Teams are trying to map the ECU in ways to mimic traction control to keep the power coming off corner exit in check. I doubt that makes the car less fun or engaging, just makes it faster and easier to drive fast.
Thank you! I am getting tired of reading about how people think that the GT-R takes no talent to drive. I'm willing to bet that 9 times out of 10 those same people are just regurgitating what others have said online, and haven't actually driven one themselves. I wish there was a way to let all the haters take one to the track, put everything in "R" mode, turn the traction control off, and have them try to post chart topping lap times. I keep reminding people of Mario Andretti's famous quote: "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." If people think that they have maxed out the car chances are they aren't even close. The car can be every bit a handful as any other car. It is an absolute blast to drive. No soul? Nissan has had their hands on the Skyline since 1966. How is the R35 not a labor of love for them? It's a deep rooted product of theirs that they pour blood, sweat, and tears into. No third pedal option equals not engaging? Wrong. Not having to deal with the clutch and rowing your gears manually just means that you can be MORE engaged on the other tasks at hand - going faster, being more consistent, finding better lines. Who doesn't want to pretend to be their favorite F1 driver while flicking the paddles? AWD is less fun than RWD? How is being able to power out of turns sooner and harder less fun?

Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM

^ good rant...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1374166792' post='22673693
The car is pretty easy to drive a 7/10 but when you are 10/10 on a track flogging it that's a whole different story. The car is so fast and the limits are so high that when you're on the ragged edge it let's go in a pretty spectacular fashion when you go over the threshold. In a RWD car you know when you're starting to get in trouble earlier on.

Yes it's easier to drive than a Z06 with the same power, but since when did having a car that was harder to drive become more fun? To me the advancement in engineering and the ability to push the limits are a good thing. To me skittish handling is a bad thing, look at high level motorsports like F1. Teams are trying to map the ECU in ways to mimic traction control to keep the power coming off corner exit in check. I doubt that makes the car less fun or engaging, just makes it faster and easier to drive fast.
Thank you! I am getting tired of reading about how people think that the GT-R takes no talent to drive. I'm willing to bet that 9 times out of 10 those same people are just regurgitating what others have said online, and haven't actually driven one themselves. I wish there was a way to let all the haters take one to the track, put everything in "R" mode, turn the traction control off, and have them try to post chart topping lap times. I keep reminding people of Mario Andretti's famous quote: "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." If people think that they have maxed out the car chances are they aren't even close. The car can be every bit a handful as any other car. It is an absolute blast to drive. No soul? Nissan has had their hands on the Skyline since 1966. How is the R35 not a labor of love for them? It's a deep rooted product of theirs that they pour blood, sweat, and tears into. No third pedal option equals not engaging? Wrong. Not having to deal with the clutch and rowing your gears manually just means that you can be MORE engaged on the other tasks at hand - going faster, being more consistent, finding better lines. Who doesn't want to pretend to be their favorite F1 driver while flicking the paddles? AWD is less fun than RWD? How is being able to power out of turns sooner and harder less fun?

Sorry for the rant.
I'd love to send a link to everyone I know who hates on the R35 so they can read this post. Couldn't have said it better myself.