Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about going to the dark(er)side

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thinking about going to the dark(er)side

As many of you know, I currently drive an E85 Evo 8 and love it.

But the more and more I read about the R35 GTR, the more intrigued I am. I'd love to buy a used 2009, do some minor bolt-ons, and tune it on E85 for almost 600 whp that I can daily drive and take to the track without having to adjust anything, and also be able to retain my Evo and turn it into a track-only monster.

I know Cosmos has a GTR, anyone else had experience with one?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
As many of you know, I currently drive an E85 Evo 8

also be able to retain my Evo and turn it into a track-only monster.
What are you waiting for? You can have monster 4 banger PLUS Godzilla on steroid. But if I was in your situation I would buy Audi R8 convertible. You already have a mini Godzilla. I would get one sexy convertible to go with mini Godzilla. I love Audi R8 convertible and that's the main reason why I would get one over GT-R.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by madkimchi
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1373957991' post='22668340
As many of you know, I currently drive an E85 Evo 8

also be able to retain my Evo and turn it into a track-only monster.
What are you waiting for? You can have monster 4 banger PLUS Godzilla on steroid. But if I was in your situation I would buy Audi R8 convertible. You already have a mini Godzilla. I would get one sexy convertible to go with mini Godzilla. I love Audi R8 convertible and that's the main reason why I would get one over GT-R.
Well, to be honest, one of the things stopping me is that I can get a really nice 08-09 Z06 for $15-20k less than Godzilla. Z06 is a RWD, 6 speed, 7L all motor monster and lemme tell you, I love an awesome, high-revving V8 in a badass chassis like the Vette. Also, the Z06 uses a lot less consumables/maintenance than Godzilla, and is probably more reliable (Godzilla has transmission problems from what I can see...)

I love the Audi R8, but I'd never buy an Audi. Plus the performance blows for what you pay. :\
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this debate every day - C6Z vs GT-R. I apologize in advance for the book below.

Have you driven both the C6Z and the GT-R? I think once you drive both the answer will be quite clear as the cars are very different. The z06 being way different from the Evo.

I came from an Evo 9 and 10, but have since switched over the world of big V8s. There's just something about not having to wait for the turbo(s) to spool that really gets me going - to have mountains of torque just sitting there waiting to be unleashed the split second you put the pedal to the metal. The Vette will cruise on the freeway at under 2000 rpm, and even then there is some grunt to get the car moving.

With turbo(s),the rush from having 300 lb-ft of torque at the wheels generated within a few hundred RPMs is another form of massive fun, but at this stage in life I prefer V8 and its instant N/A power. YMMV. Even though my base Vette would get completely humiliated by a GT-R, to me it's more fun more of the time because of the clutch pedal and its V8 characteristic and SOUND. The GT-R is too controllable and too efficient, at least that's what my wallet likes to tell me. All kidding aside, I like that the Vette requires a bit more skills to tame when you open it up. RWD + low center of gravity ftw.

If you haven't driven a Z06 though, be aware that it feels a bit floaty and does not feel as sharp as the Evo and GT-R, even though it's a very capable car. The Vette's steering is also quite numb at lower speeds. I had a pretty big learning curve with my base Vette when I first got it. You kind of have to learn to trust it the first few times you take it to the mountains because it doesn't communicate with the driver as well as the Evo/GT-R, until you come to learn the car and how it behaves. The Vette's steering wheel size, steering feel and chassis response also make the car feel much heavier and bigger than it is, and this applies to the Z06 I drove as well.

The Z06 isn't completely bullet-proof - it has a rocker arm issue, you can read more about it here (CLICK). <-- that thread is a sticky on the vette forum I wouldn't own a C6 Z06 out of warranty unless the issue has been remedied. I'm paranoid. If you're going to modify the LS7 though, this won't be an issue as long as you address it along your mod path.

Just as a side note, and I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is important to you - a heads/cam C6 Z06 (basically full bolt-ons in N/A form) will have trouble with a full bolt-on E85 GT-R on the freeway. From a stop the GT-R would pull the Z06's face off if it had one. The Z06 will also need to be driven to its limit while one can almost sip on coffee while tapping the upshift paddle in the GT-R if it weren't for the violent G-force generated by its brutal acceleration. With the GT-R its performance can be repeated every single time thanks to the DCT. If you want to dominate everything out there, the GT-R is a no-brainer. Big powered Vettes = no traction on the street, which means less fun than stock more of the time IMO, unless you're on the freeway most of the time. It's the main reason I haven't supercharged my base coupe yet.

One thing I've read about the GT-R that would probably drive me nuts if it were my only car - the tranny downshifts quite slowly if you want to drop a few gears at a time (I forgot to test this out when I drove the 2012). Say if you're on the freeway in 6th gear and you want to drop it into 3rd in a split second to either pass someone or to experience WOT at a moment's notice, it takes some time for the tranny to do so. I personally like my car to be ready to go at all times. Not sure if this has been remedied for the newer GT-Rs, I would love to be corrected by GT-R owners.

I would skip 2009 GT-Rs with the LC1, and if you must then check to see how many times it's been launched (search GT-R lc1). Also, to my knowledge most GT-R tuners would suggest building the tranny at 600whp, IIRC. gtrlife.com/forums is a great board with lots of info.

If I were you and the Evo is staying, I'd get a Z06 since you already have an AWD/turbo fun car. The GT-R to me is the grown up version of the Evo that's much better at everything - throttle response [turbo spool], ride quality, interior quality/amenities, handling, etc. The Evo's advantage is its raw driving experience from having a clutch pedal, and the feeling of its lightweight chassis.

Sorry for the book, beats the hell out of working through the night. Ah well back to the grind.

Whatever car you decide to get, be sure to post pictures and your reviews here

Edit: corrected the link to vette forum
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^I'm not in the market for either car, but you sir wrote a fantastic comparison. Brownie points for you.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Get the GT-R it basically costs you nothing to drive that car for a year or two. The 09s have appreciated slightly from 2011 prices. You'll probably lose the least on the GT-R. Z06 will drop after the c7 Z
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
I have this debate every day - C6Z vs GT-R. I apologize in advance for the book below.

Have you driven both the C6Z and the GT-R? I think once you drive both the answer will be quite clear as the cars are very different. The z06 being way different from the Evo.

I came from an Evo 9 and 10, but have since switched over the world of big V8s. There's just something about not having to wait for the turbo(s) to spool that really gets me going - to have mountains of torque just sitting there waiting to be unleashed the split second you put the pedal to the metal. The Vette will cruise on the freeway at under 2000 rpm, and even then there is some grunt to get the car moving.

With turbo(s),the rush from having 300 lb-ft of torque at the wheels generated within a few hundred RPMs is another form of massive fun, but at this stage in life I prefer V8 and its instant N/A power. YMMV. Even though my base Vette would get completely humiliated by a GT-R, to me it's more fun more of the time because of the clutch pedal and its V8 characteristic and SOUND. The GT-R is too controllable and too efficient, at least that's what my wallet likes to tell me. All kidding aside, I like that the Vette requires a bit more skills to tame when you open it up. RWD + low center of gravity ftw.

If you haven't driven a Z06 though, be aware that it feels a bit floaty and does not feel as sharp as the Evo and GT-R, even though it's a very capable car. The Vette's steering is also quite numb at lower speeds. I had a pretty big learning curve with my base Vette when I first got it. You kind of have to learn to trust it the first few times you take it to the mountains because it doesn't communicate with the driver as well as the Evo/GT-R, until you come to learn the car and how it behaves. The Vette's steering wheel size, steering feel and chassis response also make the car feel much heavier and bigger than it is, and this applies to the Z06 I drove as well.

The Z06 isn't completely bullet-proof - it has a rocker arm issue, you can read more about it here (CLICK). <-- that thread is a sticky on the vette forum I wouldn't own a C6 Z06 out of warranty unless the issue has been remedied. I'm paranoid. If you're going to modify the LS7 though, this won't be an issue as long as you address it along your mod path.

Just as a side note, and I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is important to you - a heads/cam C6 Z06 (basically full bolt-ons in N/A form) will have trouble with a full bolt-on E85 GT-R on the freeway. From a stop the GT-R would pull the Z06's face off if it had one. The Z06 will also need to be driven to its limit while one can almost sip on coffee while tapping the upshift paddle in the GT-R if it weren't for the violent G-force generated by its brutal acceleration. With the GT-R its performance can be repeated every single time thanks to the DCT. If you want to dominate everything out there, the GT-R is a no-brainer. Big powered Vettes = no traction on the street, which means less fun than stock more of the time IMO, unless you're on the freeway most of the time. It's the main reason I haven't supercharged my base coupe yet.

One thing I've read about the GT-R that would probably drive me nuts if it were my only car - the tranny downshifts quite slowly if you want to drop a few gears at a time (I forgot to test this out when I drove the 2012). Say if you're on the freeway in 6th gear and you want to drop it into 3rd in a split second to either pass someone or to experience WOT at a moment's notice, it takes some time for the tranny to do so. I personally like my car to be ready to go at all times. Not sure if this has been remedied for the newer GT-Rs, I would love to be corrected by GT-R owners.

I would skip 2009 GT-Rs with the LC1, and if you must then check to see how many times it's been launched (search GT-R lc1). Also, to my knowledge most GT-R tuners would suggest building the tranny at 600whp, IIRC. gtrlife.com/forums is a great board with lots of info.

If I were you and the Evo is staying, I'd get a Z06 since you already have an AWD/turbo fun car. The GT-R to me is the grown up version of the Evo that's much better at everything - throttle response [turbo spool], ride quality, interior quality/amenities, handling, etc. The Evo's advantage is its raw driving experience from having a clutch pedal, and the feeling of its lightweight chassis.

Sorry for the book, beats the hell out of working through the night. Ah well back to the grind.

Whatever car you decide to get, be sure to post pictures and your reviews here

Edit: corrected the link to vette forum
This is one of the best posts I've ever read on any forum. Thanks for the awesome compare and contrast on both cars.

I have driven neither, which is something I need to do. The 2009 GTR's can be updated to the latest transmission software so that they have LC1-4 etc.

And I totally agree with you about having a clutch/shifter being very important to enjoyment, along with the instant torque of a V8 (torque at 1500 RPM is insane on the LS7).

This is funny, but your post makes it even harder to decide between the GTR and Z06. Maybe in the next year I'll just buy both, if it's feasible. That'd be a dream garage for me... Evo 8, GTR, and C6 Z06.

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Get the GT-R it basically costs you nothing to drive that car for a year or two. The 09s have appreciated slightly from 2011 prices. You'll probably lose the least on the GT-R. Z06 will drop after the c7 Z
I've noticed that. It's insane that the GTR originally MSRP'd for $70k. The depreciation seems to be very very low on these cars. 2011-2014 have gotten big price increases (2014 is $100-105k MSRP... an increase of 30k+ in 5 years!), so the only out of pocket costs for me would be tires, brakes, and maintenance. That's pretty nice.

And yes, I'm afraid of the Z06 dropping 5-10k later this year after C7's come out, which is why I would probably want to hold off on it...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

A buddy of mine is one of the big GTR tuners in Boston area. Certainly the performance speaks for itself. His car is amazing. For me, it's a little light on the looks, but that's personal. Your two cars would be kind of close to each other. I'd go for wider cross section of vehicles. Perhaps trade in the Evo for something much different and get the GTR.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
I've noticed that. It's insane that the GTR originally MSRP'd for $70k. The depreciation seems to be very very low on these cars. 2011-2014 have gotten big price increases (2014 is $100-105k MSRP... an increase of 30k+ in 5 years!), so the only out of pocket costs for me would be tires, brakes, and maintenance. That's pretty nice.

And yes, I'm afraid of the Z06 dropping 5-10k later this year after C7's come out, which is why I would probably want to hold off on it...
That's exactly what im doing this winter. Either picking up a GT-R or R8, depending what i find @ auctions; etc. Their both cars you can keep/drive for 6 months-1 year and sell for the same price you got it. Im buying it under my dealer license tho so i don't pay sales tax

Also if your only going to keep the car 1-2 years, you can find a GT-R that has most of its' maintenance, brakes, tires; etc, done already. So by the time you sell it you won't really have spent much on consumables/maintenance.

It's funny b.c once you hit the near "exotic" or "exotic" market, and you buy used, your true cost of ownership is lower than buying a brand new 3 series, if you can buy right. A friend of mine is a dealer who buys a new exotic every 6 months & hasn't spent a penny on maintenance or loss in value. Basically buys em, drives em, sells em. longest he kept a car was 8 months lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude a z06 c6 is already dropping in price. There are mass pre orders of the c7! Every Vette guy knew the c7 was coming a long time ago. Your looking at $39k w low miles! Go higher miles and have cash for mods!

Quick Reply: Thinking about going to the dark(er)side