Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about getting an e46 m3

Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an e46 m3

Anyone got any feedback/personal experience owning an e46 m3? I am looking to purchase in the next 6-9months, there's quite a lot of manual e46 m3 goes for 28-35k

I am thinking of replacing my S with the m3, i am not looking for a better racing platform but a better commuter/people hauler. I found myself not able to take the S to the track as much as i could because of work, but i still enjoy wrenching on my own car with every chance i have.

G35 and evoX also made my list but the infiniti was just really boring and the evoX's image might be too agressive for my age. On the insane side of me there's the elise and 997(but again, it doesn't really help with the room situation lol)

any insight, pointer and thing to watch out for?

thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two. One was stolen (2003 vert) and the other wrecked (2004.5 coupe.) While they were decently fun cars, mine were both utter pieces of sh!t. They did nothing but visit the dealer. The first one was 8 times in 3 months, the second 19 times in 9000 miles. All visits were unscheduled.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Dayam
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM

m3 is known for that
Old 05-06-2009, 03:58 AM

m3 is known for that
Known by who? Where do you people come up with this stuff. I can only speak from my personal ownership experience but mine is closing in on 100K miles with no issues to speak of. The E46's in general were plagued with crappy adhesive on the inner window liners and they tend to come undone...mine was replaced twice under warranty until I just got some uber glue and fixed it myself. My car had the voluntary 'service bulletin' performed by BMW when they were experiencing some bearing issues but the car has been pretty much flawless. It can be a slightly rough ride but is a great DD IMO. Maintenance can be pricey...you pay a premium for the M badge, every 30K miles or so the car needs an 'Inspection' according to BMW and they run $1,200-2,000 depending on what's being done. My car is a 2003 6 speed...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by derryck,May 6 2009, 03:58 AM
Known by who? Where do you people come up with this stuff. I can only speak from my personal ownership experience but mine is closing in on 100K miles with no issues to speak of. The E46's in general were plagued with crappy adhesive on the inner window liners and they tend to come undone...mine was replaced twice under warranty until I just got some uber glue and fixed it myself. My car had the voluntary 'service bulletin' performed by BMW when they were experiencing some bearing issues but the car has been pretty much flawless. It can be a slightly rough ride but is a great DD IMO. Maintenance can be pricey...you pay a premium for the M badge, every 30K miles or so the car needs an 'Inspection' according to BMW and they run $1,200-2,000 depending on what's being done. My car is a 2003 6 speed...
Uh, well, you see, since there is not an an institution through which such costs are collected and analyzed (lets say the average nationwide expenditures of 1996 Lincoln Towncar owners on planned and unplanned maintenance and, just for kicks, the standard deviation of such expenditures) people do the next best thing. They ask their mechanics, people at local autocross meets, or, like the OP, post on a message board.

And face it, there is a reason a loaded 2004 325 sells for about the same as a run of the mill accord of the same year.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a year of ownership (2002), I only had two issues with mine:

1. Windshield wiper regulator (covered under warranty)
2. Passenger window regulator (warranty again)

Big deal - those were cheap fixes anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM

Ahhh yes..here say is a great way to base your car buying decisions. I love people who perpetuate ignorance and those that endorse them. Who neeeds experience when you can tell some story about your brother's friends cousins sisters car that may or may not be accurate. As I mentioned my only real contribution here is that I've owned the car in question for about 6 years. I'm sure asking opinions on the Honda S2000 forum rather than an M3 forum will provide excellent first hand experience. I don't think anyone is talking about a 325 or a Lincoln Town car...do you have a real point to make here or just adding to the BS?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plan on a rear suspension overhaul around the 50k to 60k mile mark if it is from the salty norther states. I have done 4 this year already. The rear shocks (the shocks have no rebound or compession left) and mounts are done and there is usually a broken spring. The springs can be changed in about 20 minutes per side. The bushings on the lower rear control arms (forward and up in the body)go bad making the car handle like shit. I have the tool to change those. Then you do the front struts while your at it and usually one of the bearing plates are bad. Also look for bad belts and idler pullies. Try to find one that has had service 2 done and records of service.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

It's a known fact that BMWs tend to need a little more tlc/trips to the dealer to get things fixed vs. say a toyota. Granted, not fair to compare a sportscar to a mass produced, comparably low tech camry, but still. As mentioned, there is a reason why BMWs tend to devalue fairly quickly as do Mercs and Audis vs. their lexus or even acura counterparts.
I won't posture that the bmw engines are unreliable (some will argue that... and can do so convincingly), as far as drivetrain goes it does seem pretty much sound, it's just all the stupid little things that seem to cost an arm and leg to repair.
I will say that with a car like a BMW, you should expect to pay some additional tlc money for the car, and most of the owners do, so when they do have to get something fixed they tend not to make a big deal about it. You then bring in someone who's used to hondas and toyotas, and well you get the point. I mean a wiper regulator going bad? Has anyone ever had one go bad on any of their cars?
And here is my heresay story, and I'll just use one because I know the owner very well, very anal retentive, religious with maitenance, drives the car to and from work, no track days, old guy. His M3 needed a starter, tranny, and one other thing I can't remember. He loves the car to death and all was covered under warranty, but still.
These stories aren't rare, and that's what makes it questionable for a prospective buyer.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an e46 m3