Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about a bike...

Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure what type of riding your going to do but a friend of mine said the 250 is scary on the interstate because it doesnt have the HP. Also heard they are backordered right now. Id say look into the ninja 650r.

As far as riding, my first bike i ever owned was a hayabusa when i was 5'10" 140lbs. All it takes it self control and leave your ego at home. Ive been riding for 5 years and 2 of them on the track with no crashes. If you have a chance to do a trackday, I learned more in those 2 years on the track than i ever would have on the street. After the busa, ive had a 600 and recently got a 1000, it all comes down to self control, respect for the bike and stay ahead of yourself. Out on the road always think of what could happen and how you could avoid it. Ride as if your were invisible to everyone else.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM

It's all about the suzuki SV650 for the first bike.. although it is a 650cc bike, its a v-twin, so power wise they are in between the 250's and the 600cc inline 4's. They are really nice bikes, and most people won't grow out of them too soon (if ever). You can get them with or without plastics for whatever suits your tastes.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jun 3 2008, 04:54 PM
How did you break your hand?
I kept held on right until I made contact, I was holding the clip-ons so tight that I snapped the left one clean off, as I was getting up I still had it in my hand. I guess the energy went into my hand .

Anyways, SV650 is a good bike like another person said. And I believe once you take the msf course, you should be fine with plenty of bikes as long as you take the time to grow accustomed to it.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanabe, nothing exactly wrong with your advice but cruiser style motorcycles do NOT make great beginner bikes.

Yes they tend to be low to the ground, easy to foot-paddle. But the typical feet-forward position does not give you as much control over the m/c as a "standard" pegs-under-seat m/c. You have more difficulty to rise off the seat, or even just shift weight to the pegs, over rough (railroad tracks) or loose (dirt/gravel) terrain.

Common 'cruiser' bucket seats make it harder to shift weight side-to-side. We're not talking hanging off here but a small motion really helps keep the bike more upright.

And at the end of the day cruiser seating is harder on your back (and often arms) than standards or even slightly sporty bikes. Every road surface change sends a shock straight up your spine instead of flexing at your waist a little or rising on the pegs.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
jah

Originally Posted by TraviS2000,Jun 3 2008, 12:42 PM
I definitely don't want to be dumping money in to repair the bike...just want something to get me through the learning process safely and without a lot of money.
most modern japa bikes are highly reliable anyways, you will not have repairs on anything you buy new/used. there is a big turnaround on sportbike ownership so good used bikes, gear is easy to buy.
your mother showed you how to drive, this you do it to your self.

you will have to do maintenance and good to get used to doing it right off the bat. especially for a sportbike, the concept of taking it back to the dealer is ghay:
-clean oil the chain
-oil + filter
-tire pressure
-verify / look for fasteners coming loose
-if available for your new bike, buy some frame sliders.

to do this you might consider getting a rear bike stand, maybe a used digital torque wrench, metric sockets and something to fit the wheel axle fastner(s). working on a bike is easy compared to a car.

a new rider can have joy on larger bikes to:
-it really depends on the individual, knowledgeable people you have around you. i would not attempt this alone; do some cornering at a local race and or offer to help out somehow. you will see lots of bikes, experience the maintance process, measure your self against other riders.
-reasonable to assume the first street crash will include a cage driver not watching and turning into your path. otherwise most new riders first drop the bike in the garage, shame to use a new bike for this.
-safety gear has improved but only works if you know about and wear the stuff
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jah,Jun 4 2008, 08:16 AM
most modern japa bikes are highly reliable anyways, you will not have repairs on anything you buy new/used. there is a big turnaround on sportbike ownership so good used bikes, gear is easy to buy.
your mother showed you how to drive, this you do it to your self.

you will have to do maintenance and good to get used to doing it right off the bat. especially for a sportbike, the concept of taking it back to the dealer is ghay:
-clean oil the chain
-oil + filter
-tire pressure
-verify / look for fasteners coming loose
-if available for your new bike, buy some frame sliders.

to do this you might consider getting a rear bike stand, maybe a used digital torque wrench, metric sockets and something to fit the wheel axle fastner(s). working on a bike is easy compared to a car.

a new rider can have joy on larger bikes to:
-it really depends on the individual, knowledgeable people you have around you. i would not attempt this alone; do some cornering at a local race and or offer to help out somehow. you will see lots of bikes, experience the maintance process, measure your self against other riders.
-reasonable to assume the first street crash will include a cage driver not watching and turning into your path. otherwise most new riders first drop the bike in the garage, shame to use a new bike for this.
-safety gear has improved but only works if you know about and wear the stuff
I plan to do all the maintenance on the bike myself...as I already do it all myself on the S2000. Between my knowledge of cars...and my roommate that builds bikes for Harley I think we'll have all the bases covered.

I am already used to driving like I am invisible to other drivers. My first car was a del Sol and now I'm in a S2000...so I am use to being small, overlooked, and neglected. I realize that it will be much worse on the bike but I already drive with the mentality that others are idiots and I have to watch out for myself and their stupidity.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

Okay, I've pretty much decided on getting a Ninja 250 to learn on and resell in a year or two when I'm ready to move up. I CAN'T find any. Everyone is sold out and the places that do have them are asking MORE than MSRP on USED bikes. This is BS...so many people looking for them because of gas prices. I'm going to wait until this fall/winter and I'm hoping there will be a lot more for sale from everyone who bought one because of gas prices and deciding they don't like them/riding/etc...

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM

I suggest against the 250. I started on my r6 and did just fine. As long as youre not an idiot you'll be fine.

I think the learning curve is faster on the 600 simply because you can put more confidence in it. When I rode a girl that I know's ninja 250 it felt like a bicycle and I did not trust the turn in at all. On a 600, however, it feels much, much better.

Do what you want, I dont want to influence a decision that may end you up with a broken wrist

I will tell you though, if you end up with the 250, you will wish you just went ahead and got the 600 in two weeks.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3vilmonkey!,Jun 21 2008, 01:01 PM
I will tell you though, if you end up with the 250, you will wish you just went ahead and got the 600 in two weeks.
I recently took the MSF course last month, and I asked my instructor the same question - 250 or 600 for a beginners bike? He told me the exact same thing.

If you're a competent guy and you drive responsibly, don't waste your money on a 250.