Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are they aiming at the S2000?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by jjaypal' timestamp='1361240091' post='22346480
bottom line.... S2000 is irreplaceable
Until you can afford a new Boxster S.
not really. Our S are only worth on avg. $17k on clean examples. So do I get rid of this gem for only $17k? why get rid of it for something so similar (2 door, convertible, 2 seats, basically a toy car, no lives are depended on, unless you really do need that extra oomph, extra stopping power, extra bling) no, it's not worth it, at least for me. So my answer was to keep it and get another car. hence it really is irreplaceable even for people who can afford the BoxsterS.

new boxster is for people who doesn't have the S2000, who has not been spoiled by S2000's fun, value, and reliability factor. I'm sure their money is well spent. Not as well spent as a S2000, but still well spent.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Sorry - no way an FR-S or BR-Z is going to beat an S2000 from a roll, given equal drivers. It doesn't make any sense except that someone didn't know how to drive the S2000. You're talking about a car that's 0.7 to 0.9s slower than an S2000 in the 1/4 mile and is down 40 hp. The S2000 doesn't have a particularly great launch characteristic so that means the difference is in acceleration once the cars are hooked up and rolling. Weight differences are not big enough to change anything and while aerodynamics are in play from 60 mph and on, it still won't be enough to offset 40 more hp.
Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1361305889' post='22348555
Try a freeway roll.

Don't ask me how I know.
Where it would get killed even MORE than in this video because the s would hit vtec that much faster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_hZqvY5RM
love the internet videos. I actually have both cars. The BRZ/FRS pulls on my TUNED s2k from a fwy roll.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
love the internet videos. I actually have both cars. The BRZ/FRS pulls on my TUNED s2k from a fwy roll.
Love the local ft86's who race me. I pull on every one of them like they're nothing. My car is stock drivetrain and I destroy even 335i z4's. You can claim what you claim and have your track experience, but what I've seen between the two is vastly different. Apparently the brz is just so much better than it is on paper (even though I've ridden in one for 30 minutes of great wreckless driving with a friend back in CO) having the most under-rated 160whp motor ever. Glad Crawford just nuked their brz with the turbo kit. Seems apparently you can't turbo the FA without actually building it.

You like your car, but it's hard to tell because no one ever seems to push their s all the way to that slippery limit where you're almost out of control, which is much easier to do and much more predictable in the ft86. I don't give driver confidence any vow of meaning though. Just because you puss out and don't want to chance ruining your car because it doesn't (incoming marketing hype term) "Inspire Confidence" doesn't mean you're racing the cars at the same limits. We need a truly 10/10ths experience from someone like Rylan who is a well respected member and awesome driver driving each stock for stock and giving times only (I don't care about opinions on how things felt) before I'd be okay accepting a BRZ as anything close to an s2000.

Off topic, in your other thread I've been meaning to ask about the whole aero discussion that came up. Do you consider a simple hard-top a heavy aero mod?

Things not to read in this post, because they are non-existent: Anger, angst, hatred, etc. I'm simply desiring more comparisons with real data to back it up from the high end people with excellent reputations who are actually capable of extracting max performance.

I really wish they would do a video like head 2 head from MT with these two cars, even if the s is out of production.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Then you're either picking the one spot where the S2000 has to shift an extra time and the FR-S doesn't or else your S2000 is extremely weak or you're a bad driver. Sorry, there's just no other way to put it. The cars are not so different that you can not only absorb but beat a 40 hp deficit. It's completely illogical. BRZ/FRS doesn't break the rules of physics, as some would like us to believe.

200 hp < 240 hp, every time, and a roll negates most of the effect of disparities in weight, which are negligible anyways.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1361309005' post='22348693
Love the local ft86's who race me. I pull on every one of them like they're nothing. My car is stock drivetrain and I destroy even 335i z4's. You can claim what you claim and have your track experience, but what I've seen between the two is vastly different. Apparently the brz is just so much better than it is on paper (even though I've ridden in one for 30 minutes of great wreckless driving with a friend back in CO) having the most under-rated 160whp motor ever. Glad Crawford just nuked their brz with the turbo kit. Seems apparently you can't turbo the FA without actually building it.

You like your car, but it's hard to tell because no one ever seems to push their s all the way to that slippery limit where you're almost out of control, which is much easier to do and much more predictable in the ft86. I don't give driver confidence any vow of meaning though. Just because you puss out and don't want to chance ruining your car because it doesn't (incoming marketing hype term) "Inspire Confidence" doesn't mean you're racing the cars at the same limits. We need a truly 10/10ths experience from someone like Rylan who is a well respected member and awesome driver driving each stock for stock and giving times only (I don't care about opinions on how things felt) before I'd be okay accepting a BRZ as anything close to an s2000.

Off topic, in your other thread I've been meaning to ask about the whole aero discussion that came up. Do you consider a simple hard-top a heavy aero mod?

Things not to read in this post, because they are non-existent: Anger, angst, hatred, etc. I'm simply desiring more comparisons with real data to back it up from the high end people with excellent reputations who are actually capable of extracting max performance.

I really wish they would do a video like head 2 head from MT with these two cars, even if the s is out of production.
Pulling on N55 Z4? I call BS right now.

Crawford's engine is already built. They're always breaking things on their car; I've yet to see it go home NOT on a flat bed the (6?) times I've seen it, except at SLB.

I don't know where your whole "confidence inspiring" rant is from; we're talking strictly straight line here. Paging Krazik. Apparantly I don't know how to push a car 10/10ths.

Just how a AP1 vs AP2 drag race is affected by the roll speed, so is a S2k vs BRZ, in this case, an AP2.

10mph: AP2
20mph: AP2
30mph: AP2
40mph: AP2
50mph: AP2
60mph: AP2
70mph: AP2
80mph: AP2 (barely; BRZ will reel it in)
90mph: BRZ (AP2 will pull a fender, and then BRZ will reel it in)
100mph: BRZ
110mph: BRZ
120mph: BRZ (BRZ will pull a length, and then AP2 will reel it in)
130mph: AP2 (BRZ will pull a fender, and then quickly fall back)
140mph: AP2 (BRZ tops out at 147)

Going back to your aero question, S2ks are flying bricks (but smaller bricks than STis, and Evos.)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Then you're either picking the one spot where the S2000 has to shift an extra time and the FR-S doesn't or else your S2000 is extremely weak or you're a bad driver. Sorry, there's just no other way to put it. The cars are not so different that you can not only absorb but beat a 40 hp deficit. It's completely illogical. BRZ/FRS doesn't break the rules of physics, as some would like us to believe.

200 hp < 240 hp, every time, and a roll negates most of the effect of disparities in weight, which are negligible anyways.
So that's why we pull on stock STIs and Evos every time right? I mean, 240 < 300 and 240 < 280.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Going back to aerodynamics, the BRZ hits the same Vmax at Auto Club Speedway as my S2k. It enters the front straight over 5 mph slower, and is down 40 hp. Care to explain? It's just flooring the gas pedal and shifting twice.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going back to aerodynamics, the BRZ hits the same Vmax at Auto Club Speedway as my S2k. It enters the front straight over 5 mph slower, and is down 40 hp. Care to explain? It's just flooring the gas pedal and shifting twice.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1361312096' post='22348880
Hey, not you!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Pulling on N55 Z4? I call BS right now.
Thought you'd like that . My car is gutted and weighs ~2400lbs now without me in it (I'm only 160). My drivetrain is 100% stock though.

Crawford's engine is already built. They're always breaking things on their car; I've yet to see it go home NOT on a flat bed the (6?) times I've seen it, except at SLB.
Yeah, but their sti engines hardly ever broke (at least the customer built ones).

I don't know where your whole "confidence inspiring" rant is from; we're talking strictly straight line here. Paging Krazik. Apparantly I don't know how to push a car 10/10ths.
I was talking more in general how you seem to feel an s modded the same as a brz will result in brz winning, which I still doubt. I have no idea who you are or what your record is, but let's take the recent Megan race. How did you do in that?

90mph: BRZ (AP2 will pull a fender, and then BRZ will reel it in)
I have yet to START a race from already such high illegal speeds. Not saying it doesn't end up there every time, but holy cow, who starts from there x.x

Going back to your aero question, S2ks are flying bricks (but smaller bricks than STis, and Evos.)
Yeah I figured, but I was wondering if you considered an s2000 with a hard top to have aero mod or not. Convertibles, especially when required to race down, suck it up hard core in that department. A hardtop s would be probably the only thing I compared to another hardtop car. It's such a big handicap if not.

Quick Reply: Are they aiming at the S2000?