Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test drove a Genesis 3.8 6MT

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a Genesis 3.8 6MT

So, with nothing to do for a few hours this afternoon, I decided to stop at a local Hyundai dealer and drive this thing. Let me tell you, it was GOOD. For what it is and where it came from, it's really good.

Suspension: I expected the suspension engineering to be sub-par, considering the car is Hyundai's first shot at a rear-drive sport coupe... Wrong. For a heavy (3,3xx) car, it doesn't behave like one. Body roll was very minimal, the car exhibits a good balance with almost no understeer on corner entry, and you have to provoke oversteer with a hard input at the wheel, otherwise it doesn't seem to exist at all. I pushed the car hard from apex to exit multiple times at full tilt and was shocked that I couldn't make it step out under power without intentionally upsetting the chassis. I came away impressed. The steering lacks feedback but has good on-center feel and is quick, but far from nervous. Not bad at all. .

Power: The 3.8L version I tested had 50 something miles on the odo. It didn't feel like 340+ hp or 295 lb-ft, but this could have been due to it's curb weight and/or a green engine that hasn't loosened up, the latter very likely as acceleration always improves after break-in. Anyway, the engine feels gutless below 4,500 rpm but really pulls up top. It reminds me of the S a lot when it comes to power delivery. I think I would like it more after break-in. And the torque gauge in the center stack has to be a joke and nothing more than a vacuum gauge..

Looks: Everything looks good except for the horrible front bumper and fake hood vents.

Interior: Material quality is fantastic compared to a lot of other makes. Japanese-quality. Same with the fit/finish. The shifter needs to move back a few inches to fall at-hand. Leather quality is better than my AMG.

Transmission: Good enough, as far as shift feel and feedback, to make a 350/370z/G coupe feel like trash. Same with clutch take-up and engagement. Not even close to the S, however (what is?).

Price: Worth it if you're into the market this car falls into. After it's a few years old and depreciated with low miles I think would be the best time to grab one. For the 33K sticker it's a lot of car and I think you get your money's worth. However, there are better offerings for just a few thousand north..

My thoughts
Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Great value, especially considering that alot of folks are getting below sticker. And at 33k, it's fully loaded with just about anything youd want minus parking sensors and memory package. Only thing that makes me hesitate to buy one, new IRS mustang with a 400+hp engine.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Great value, especially considering that alot of folks are getting below sticker. And at 33k, it's fully loaded with just about anything youd want minus parking sensors and memory package. Only thing that makes me hesitate to buy one, new IRS mustang with a 400+hp engine.
Could've walked out the door with the keys to this one for 29k

In 4 years, 15k
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM

I test drove the 2.0t r-spec before I picked up my s2000. I respectfully disagree about the transmission feel. The throws felt long and completely vague to me, which was honestly a deal breaker. If I'm buying a manual car, I want to enjoy the act of shifting...

I liked most other things about the car, but was also concerned about long term reliability about the transmission and chassis (they're had A LOT of transmission problems, and many people had chassis issues such as broken spot welds. Hyundai also seems to enjoy ignoring issues with wastegate rattling noises). As I know myself well enough to know that I would completely void the warranty with mods, I figured it wasn't worth the risk..

Who knows, if they prove to be reliable I may pick one up as a daily in a few years. As I mentioned, I was overall impressed with the car but not sold 100% on reliability and shifter feel.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by lleron
I test drove the 2.0t r-spec before I picked up my s2000. I respectfully disagree about the transmission feel. The throws felt long and completely vague to me, which was honestly a deal breaker. If I'm buying a manual car, I want to enjoy the act of shifting...

I liked most other things about the car, but was also concerned about long term reliability about the transmission and chassis (they're had A LOT of transmission problems, and many people had chassis issues such as broken spot welds. Hyundai also seems to enjoy ignoring issues with wastegate rattling noises). As I know myself well enough to know that I would completely void the warranty with mods, I figured it wasn't worth the risk..

Who knows, if they prove to be reliable I may pick one up as a daily in a few years. As I mentioned, I was overall impressed with the car but not sold 100% on reliability and shifter feel.
What year was the one you had driven? I'm not sure if there have been any changes made to the 13', but it honestly wasn't bad. The throws are a bit long but overall it's night and day better than a couple of other recent cars I've driven and/or owned in the last few years. I'm pretty sure Hyundai manufactures their own transmissions in-house and doesn't use a supplier like Aisin or ZF. I could be wrong. Either way, it's not a car that I'll own anyway unless it's bug free after a few life cycles..
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not the best idea to go flogging a motor with only 50 miles on the odometer...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 AM

I didn't bounce it off the limiter or hold it at high revs. You're correct, break-in miles should be applied with care . I drove the car a whole 13 miles and did a couple of rolling pulls. It'll be fine...