Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test Drove 350z Performance Edition

Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove 350z Performance Edition

All I have to say is ----- No Thanks! ----- I will keep my S2K.

Mushy - Thats what it felt like. The shifting, clutch, handling, ride - Mushy
Old 04-12-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try another you'll be suprised
Old 04-12-2004, 10:39 AM

i had the same experience, i did not like the build quality at all and the way it drives. i do appreciate the lowend torque but that is all.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM

Love the asthetics on the outside. The seats are nice but most everything else in
the interior was a big disappointment. The paintwork was marginal, the plastic inside rattled right off the showroom floor and the gearbox was clumsy. The exhaust note however, was a treat and the handling, despite the weight, was competent but nowhere near as razor sharp as the S2K. The low-end torque was there (as expected) but overall, it didn't strike me as something that would inspire me to trade...not even close.
Thanks to Nissan for bringing the Z-name back but this effort falls just a bit
short for me. It would be a tougher call if I was considering either of these two cars for the first time because the "no torque" concerns would carry more weight than they do now (after owning this car for more than two years, I no longer subscribe to that worry) and other positive factors of S2000 ownership don't reveal themselves until
well into the break-in period but overall, I think you'll find more Nissan owners trading
their Z's for S2000's than the other way around. I just get the sense having met a fair share of Z owners that they chose the 350Z over the S2000 (for those who were comparing the two) because it wasn't so EXTREME a sportscar which for me, is
one of the POSITIVE factors I enjoy most about Honda's effort.
Still, a damn good car but not a great car as I feel our S2000 is. I suspect
that sentiment is just the opposite down the hall.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ
Love the asthetics on the outside.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:48 PM

The exhaust sounds great stock, if only one could hear it while sitting inside. I owned a 350z prior to the S and was disappointed by how I felt detached while driving. Exhaust was overly muted, even with the windows down and while it handled nicely, it's still a large and heavy car so it didn't feel go-cart like, unlike the S. Torque was definitely its strong suit.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 44Runner
Old 04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
R11

I think the 350Z looks great.... from the straight on side profile. Other than that it doesn't do much for me. Particularly the rear end which is (appropriately enough), butt ugly . OK, maybe not butt ugly, but at best totally blah and uninspiring. By taking away the nice sloping fastback roofline the 350Z roadster has no redeeming physical qualities to me. The exhaust note is quite nice though.

ron
Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Regarding the convertible version of the Z (closer comparison aesthetically to the S)... I really don't like the rear deck lid on the Z. Besides that, I like the fact that the shape is unique, but I find the S2000 way nicer to look at.

Possibly, I'm biased.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:41 PM

i love them Zs.....i know i will be a bit disapointed with them if i do test drive em
but seeing one on the streets gets me all fired up
if i didnt want a good looking convertable SPORTS car i would have gotten a Zcoupe....never the roadster though....they look way too ugly with the soft top up

Quick Reply: Test Drove 350z Performance Edition