Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test drove a '10 Cayman S

Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I also tracked my Cayman S for the first time this weekend. I did a two-day PCA DE and it was an absolute blast. The CS understeers at the limit, but is very forgiving and stable.

On the second day, I was passing 997 Carrera S drivers of similar experience level and only getting passed by GT3s and 997 Turbos.

During my final session, I was chasing a 997 GT3 driver who was only slowly edging away from me each lap. He was only pulling significantly on the straights, while I managed to make up some of the lost ground in the tighter sections. While I can't argue that the CS outhandles the GT3, I can say that the CS inspires confidence to push pretty hard in the corners.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xmatt,Jun 21 2010, 12:14 PM
Really? I ordered my 2010 in July '09 and got it the following January. I've heard that supply has gotten nothing but worse since then. But maybe they're opening the taps on the 2011s?
Ya from what I've seen--the 2011 orders on planet 9 so far have said they've been quoted 3 months
Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

The Cayman is the only thing that could get me to sell my S2000 and it might some day. But the more opportunities I get to travel, the less interest I have in spending money on cars. The cost of the car would eat into Italy, or Galapagos, or Australia, or Ireland, or Peru, or Belize............

Probably means I am getting old. Next thing you know I will be posting on the Buick forum.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait till your face starts sagging like your profile pic
Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's 2010 CS on the track a few weeks back...

FOR ME PERSONALLY, the S2000 is still the more fun car to drive. The sound of the engine, the gearbox, the tossability...(my S2000 is slightly modified)

No question, I could go faster in the CS if I pushed it (didn't want to as it was my friend's nearly brand new car). Honestly, it felt like I was pussy-footing around the track but when I did speed checks at apex/exit points, I was going nearly as fast as in the S2000 at the limit without any of the drama.

Is the CS faster? Yes. Is it a better street car? Probably. Is it more fun to drive? Versus my slighted modded S2000, not for me.

If I really thought it through, I could see the sport shifter kit and an aftermarket exhaust probably fixing a lot of this...but I'd rather not have to spend all the money to find out.

Now, if they made a track oriented RS/Clubsport model...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^personally I think the Cayman S's exhaust note is one of the best of any sports car and I have a hard time seeing an inline 4 matching it, regardless of mods.

Congrats on the car man. I've driven one close to the limits and was amazed. At the moment its definitely the car I see myself replacing the S with.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM

Don't ever go test drive a Porsche unless you're prepared to buy one.

I made that mistake once, when the 987 Boxster S just came out. Salesman threw me the keys and said "have fun".

It took every last ounce of willpower to resist dipping into my savings to buy one.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Why did Porsche cut down on production? I really like the Cayman S. I bet it handles really nice.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Jun 18 2010, 08:33 AM
I agree the "sports" mode function is invaluable because the reguler setting has way too much throttle lag built in (on purpose I suspect). The throttle lag essentially feels like they had slip a pillow between your right foot and the fun pedal... taking a lot of fun out of the car despite its power.

There is a much cheaper alternative to the Sports Chrono option though. The Sprint Booster is a $320 plug n' play gadget that does exactly what the Sports Chrono does: advances throttle input recognition. It makes the engine respond immediately when you tell it to, not a moment later. It may not sound like much but it makes a world of difference in driving enjoyment. I currently have this on 2 cars.
Good info! This definitely widens the selection on second hand Boxster S/Cayman S.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jun 26 2010, 12:46 PM
Good info! This definitely widens the selection on second hand Boxster S/Cayman S.
I wouldn't call incorrect info good info!

Spring booster doesn't:
- change rev limiter (soft to hard)
- change PCM settings to allow greater slip angles
- provide option to change maps (I preferred non-sport for heavy traffic and parking lots)
- no timer on dash

It's not a bad alternative to Sport Chrono in a used car, but SC is worth the extra $ to me.

Quick Reply: Test drove a '10 Cayman S