Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test drove a '10 Cayman S

Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove a '10 Cayman S

I recently took a new '10 Cayman S for a test drive--it had the PDK transmission w/ sport chrono package. This car is so sweet in every way--the mid engine setup handles like a dream and the sound right behind your head is fantastic! The dual clutch tranny is great, and it's the only thing that will not make me too sad to lose a clutch pedal (never thought I'd say that). I was also pleasantly surprised with the interior space and found myself more comfortable (a S2000 owner is probably the only guy you'll here say that about a Porsche! I am 6'2" though so any extra room helps) I'm in love with this car, and think I'll be placing an order for a '11 this summer (it is nearly impossible to find one in the right color with the right options--Porsche cut down on production unfortunately!)
I've loved my S2000 for the 15 months I've owned it, but I've always longed for the P-car so I think it's time to take the plunge. The CS is really the only car that would make me change though, as the S2K is such a fun car to drive. My S2000 will be looking for a new home sometime in the fall I think!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy! You can't go wrong with a Boxster.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm 6'2" also and got tired of being sandwiched in there, and the noise. A coupe S2000 would have been outstanding.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM

I've said it before, the Cayman S is an awesome piece of kit. It's the refined, grown up version of the S2000.

I'm not a fan of the suspension damping in my friends 07 but apart from that I can't really fault it. The 2010 comes standard with LSD and more power I think so that should transform the car nicely.

One thing I did like about the PDK transmission (drove a 911S) is that it "creeps" like an auto transmission when you release the brake and doesn't have that harshness other dual clutch transmissions have like in Ferraris etc. that suddenly "thud" into life when releasing brake and accelerating off. Makes daily driving much easier.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Join the club!

Make sure you get Sport Chrono, trust me.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jbird,Jun 17 2010, 09:59 PM
One thing I did like about the PDK transmission (drove a 911S) is that it "creeps" like an auto transmission when you release the brake and doesn't have that harshness other dual clutch transmissions have like in Ferraris etc. that suddenly "thud" into life when releasing brake and accelerating off. Makes daily driving much easier.
good info
Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xmatt,Jun 18 2010, 12:26 AM
Join the club!

Make sure you get Sport Chrono, trust me.
I agree the "sports" mode function is invaluable because the reguler setting has way too much throttle lag built in (on purpose I suspect). The throttle lag essentially feels like they had slip a pillow between your right foot and the fun pedal... taking a lot of fun out of the car despite its power.

There is a much cheaper alternative to the Sports Chrono option though. The Sprint Booster is a $320 plug n' play gadget that does exactly what the Sports Chrono does: advances throttle input recognition. It makes the engine respond immediately when you tell it to, not a moment later. It may not sound like much but it makes a world of difference in driving enjoyment. I currently have this on 2 cars.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Jun 18 2010, 07:33 AM
I agree the "sports" mode function is invaluable because the reguler setting has way too much throttle lag built in (on purpose I suspect). The throttle lag essentially feels like they had slip a pillow between your right foot and the fun pedal... taking a lot of fun out of the car despite its power.

There is a much cheaper alternative to the Sports Chrono option though. The Sprint Booster is a $320 plug n' play gadget that does exactly what the Sports Chrono does: advances throttle input recognition. It makes the engine respond immediately when you tell it to, not a moment later. It may not sound like much but it makes a world of difference in driving enjoyment. I currently have this on 2 cars.
Yeah, I have heard good things about the Sprint Booster. I'll say a few words in favor of the OEM option though:

It does more than just quicken the throttle speed. As I understand it it also changes the fuel map to be more track-oriented (acceleration and deceleration), removes the "soft" redline in favor of a hard fuel cut, and reins back traction control to allow some slip while still being there in case things get seriously out of shape. Plus, you know, no warranty questions, etc.

And I kind of like the little lap timer clock too.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitely be getting the sports chrono---a must have especially w/ the PDK. One other advantage of it over the booster is the launch control w/ the PDK

Unfortunately the LSD is still NOT standard, but Porsche does offer it as an option ($1000---should be standard on the Cayman IMO!).
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM

On the LSD, that's actually one where I might suggest considering the aftermarket option. I got the Porsche unit, and I have no problems with it, but recently there was some discussion on the Porsche boards about it being a pretty weak unit that will need to be rebuilt pretty frequently. Other options like the Quaife LSD are highly respected and really robust.

Quick Reply: Test drove a '10 Cayman S