Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test drove an '08 "base" C6 coupe

Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering you can get the C6 on very deep discounts I think the dealer offer is actually fair.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have a C6 and enjoy it..... welcome to the darkside (as quickag says)..
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Aug 15 2008, 09:39 AM

Those who have driven a Z51 package; how different is it from a base one?
Is that Z51 package really worth it?
Brakes, transmission, coolers, etc?

Thanks for reading my humble review.

Dan
I haven't driven the base suspension, so I cannot comment of feel.

However, the Z51 package includes:

Transmission Cooler
Engine Oil Cooler
Power Steering Fluid Cooler
Bigger Sway Bars
Stiffer springs
Manual transmission comes with different gearing than stock
Larger cross-drilled brake rotors

All that for $1500 is a STEAL.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think $21k for an '07 is way low...

Geez...the S2000's value is dropping like crazy...

Even with 0%, the Vette comes to $625 a month @ 72 months w/ $0 down. That's still a substantial car payment, IMO.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 PM

I think you guys are right.
A Z51 package is a must w/ the Corvettes.
Before asking the dealer to give me more $$ for my S, I have to think over if I'm making the right decision.
Ugh..

Dan
Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Aug 17 2008, 10:22 AM
Before asking the dealer to give me more $$ for my S, I have to think over if I'm making the right decision.
Ugh..

Dan
Maybe because you have a hardtop a Vert isn't important to you.For me that was the single thing I missed most when I gave up my S2k for the C6.To me the coupe is beautiful but the C6 vert looks out of balance and was way too pricey. There is too much wind buffeting after 50mph with the Targa removed which was unacceptable for my taste .I also hated removing the top( Chinese fire drill).Although I got fast at it I was so used to pushing a button (even doing it at a stop light) that I just left the top on.
If it's more power you want you should consider getting the Kraftwerks supercharger.Man that thing is sweet and it's a work of art in it's construction.The ability to have the ECU reflashed(06'+ cars) and the tuning by a giant like Hondata makes the car feel as smooth as stock.I've driven one several times ( and have ordered it) and it really will blow your mind.Doesn't have the massive torque down low of the C6 but it builds up acceleration that to me is even more thrilling.Just a thought,7500 more(clutch upgrade and install included) and you'll have a car thats incredibly fast,is still a drop top and you'll still save at least 10k.Something else to consider.
Personally I would never take a hosing on a car as nice as the S2000 especially one as new as yours but then again I really love the car.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Aug 17 2008, 01:22 AM
Ugh..

Dan
DO you get tax benefits for your trade in? If so, that 21k trade in will be more like 24k
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Gawd, if I could get inot an 08 z51 convert for $50K new Id jump on it, especially with thier true 0% intrest.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by archtop,Aug 17 2008, 06:04 AM
Maybe because you have a hardtop a Vert isn't important to you.For me that was the single thing I missed most when I gave up my S2k for the C6.To me the coupe is beautiful but the C6 vert looks out of balance and was way too pricey. There is too much wind buffeting after 50mph with the Targa removed which was unacceptable for my taste .I also hated removing the top( Chinese fire drill).Although I got fast at it I was so used to pushing a button (even doing it at a stop light) that I just left the top on.
If it's more power you want you should consider getting the Kraftwerks supercharger.Man that thing is sweet and it's a work of art in it's construction.The ability to have the ECU reflashed(06'+ cars) and the tuning by a giant like Hondata makes the car feel as smooth as stock.I've driven one several times ( and have ordered it) and it really will blow your mind.Doesn't have the massive torque down low of the C6 but it builds up acceleration that to me is even more thrilling.Just a thought,7500 more(clutch upgrade and install included) and you'll have a car thats incredibly fast,is still a drop top and you'll still save at least 10k.Something else to consider.
Personally I would never take a hosing on a car as nice as the S2000 especially one as new as yours but then again I really love the car.
Yeah, I'm not a huge drop top guy.
Not that I dislike the open air, I just can't stand the canvas/vinyl top. Now if it's a hardtop convertible, that's a totally different story.

You have a valid point about the KW supercharger. It'll make my S a totally different car, and possibly make me love my S all over again.(I still love my S, but not as much as before)
But there's nothing like a stock factory monster.
Anyone can make a certain car go faster by modifying, but it's still not designed/engineered for that much power.
I could slap on a KW kit, and it'll be fast as a C6 but what about the transmission? Can it take enough torque without sweating like the TR6060? Now what about that infamous differential?
See my point?

Maybe I'm just in need for something different. I've never owned a V8 muscle before, and among the ones I've driven so far, Corvette was the one that impressed me the most.

Dan
Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nearwater4me,Aug 18 2008, 02:50 AM] Yeah, I'm not a huge drop top guy.
Not that I dislike the open air, I just can't stand the canvas/vinyl top.

Quick Reply: Test drove an '08 "base" C6 coupe