Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test Drive: E46 M3 Coupe vs. Convertible.

Old 08-11-2003, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my parents are in the market for a new car. Of course, I had to *egg* 'em on to buy an M3 hehe. Although their eyes were on TSX , I insisted on a test drive and they obliged.

There happened to be a Ti. Silver M3 'vert AND a Ti. Silver Coupe on a two different dealerships nearby.

The Convertible:
MY03. Only 2000+ miles on! Gray interior. All the BMW bells and whistles except nav. The interior materials and fit were top notch. All the buttons were within my reach especially that little SMG stick thingy. The seat was very firm and supportive, not too different from that of S2000 with plenty of leg room. However, my parents behind me weren't as comfortable as myself as the convertible fold down tray took up most of the rear space of the car.

After a quick tutorial on SMG, off we went. As soon as we hit the street, the sales man kept encouraging me to "step on it!" despite my wish to get to know the car for the first few minutes. Ok, so I stepped on it and whooosh!! The acceleration was just incredible! After tach hits 5k, I think you can say buh-bye to *almost* everything on the street. It was just as good as hitting VTEC except I was going a lot faster. Loads of torque everywhere. And downshifting is just a pure pleasure...one click and it even does the perfect throttle blip for you. I could only imagine what I would feel if I ditched all my passengers and did the same thing.

The Coupe:
Same color combo. MY03. SMG. Only 5500+ miles. Loaded. First, thing I noticed was my parents were much happier with MUCH more rear room. Driving impressions were same as the vert version except it DID feel faster than the convertible...probably because of the lighter weight. This would be my choice if I was ready to buy. But my parents thinks the car is too "brutal" for their taste.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:48 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gymniac
This would be my choice if I was ready to buy.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 AM

So, is it going to be your car, or theirs?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curios, how much less legroom is in the back seat of the convertible ? I have always thought about this car. Can two adults fit in the back ?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:59 AM

[B]So my parents are in the market for a new car.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rai
[B]Well it is going to be their car after all.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Rodan
So, is it going to be your car, or theirs?
Nah, not mine...but it doesn't matter now they are going for the TSX..hehe. I kinda knew that already but I just wanted show them what *ELSE* is out there .
Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fanman
[B]I'm curios, how much less legroom is in the back seat of the convertible ?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by WRS2K

Your butt speed meter is way off cuz you'll get a kick in your pants when you see that stock S2000 staying right next to you until the turns come up where it'll out-brake it and out-transition the porky pig.
You may be right. I have to admit that I was rather *excited* before the drive and that may have clouded my objectivity. All I remember is that even with 3 passengers, the car pulled and pulled. But then again, it's not like I had a punk-as* racer on a stock S2000 racing me as a reference right at the moment. I know some members here moved on to M3 from S2000 and some that have both in his/her garage. Maybe they can chime in here ?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:08 AM

[B]
Ok, so I stepped on it and whooosh!!

Quick Reply: Test Drive: E46 M3 Coupe vs. Convertible.