Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR

Old 04-10-2023, 05:43 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
I don't want to take this thread on a tangent but question for you guys regarding the tax credits and EVs.. For shits and giggles I started poking around looking at different EVs and I ran into a couple articles about tax credits.. What's the current state of the federal tax credits? I guess it used to be just based on car models but the "Inflation reduction act of 2022" now puts many different qualifications and stipulations on the EV tax credits? It looks like it is also income based..? If you're >$300k AGI for a couple no bueno?
Rules changed in 2023 for tax credits. Sedans $55k MSRP cap, Trucks/SUV's $80k. Income limitations as well. Yes, if you're over $300k AGI, you are not eligible for a tax credit.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
But...you almost literally cannot see out of the back window. How can you claim great visibility...but not see out the back?

My brother and his wife bought a Model Y (white of course) Performance AWD for their second vehicle. I drove it yesterday. First time driving an EV, of any kind. I liked the steering, quite a bit. The rest, meh. 0-60 speed is impressive, but after a few miles that was a bit boring. The rest, not a fan. For $60k I'd expect better interior quality than my MkVII GTI. A center mounted tablet to do everything is dumb IMO. Lack of any instrumentation in front of the steering wheel gave me golf cart vibes. Frameless door windows amplify the cheapness vibe (to be fair, I felt the same way about my Porsche). The amount of storage space and "people" space was pretty good, but this isn't a small vehicle so one would expect as much. It didn't feel like it has an extra low center of gravity to me. Though it didn't drive like an SUV either, because if we're being honest it isn't, which was good.
I meant front visibility with the narrow air pillars and low windshield line. I do agree rear visibility sucks.

We really like our Y for what it is. Drove it around quite a bit this weekend. It's quick, smooth, quiet, tech works good, good interior room for the overall exterior size. Lot of car for low/mid 50's and high 40's with tax credit. Charging is cake too with this literally $200 WoShion charger my Dad sent me a Woot deal on. It's $400+ normally, but it was under $200 brand new with this 'flash sale' or whatever it was. Works awesome, charges the car at 38 mile/hr at 40 amps. Just plug it in, 5ish hours later, it's at 90% charge and you have another 250-300 miles of driving for $6-7 worth of electricity. As an aside, the same day we charged my wife's Tesla for $6-7, I filled up the TRX with premium for $111.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 07:10 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Aha, yes I agree that front visibility was great and while I hate the dashboard/display set up at least everything was kept low. In difference to so many manufacturers more or less "slapping" a tablet up high above air vents in middle of the dash.

The one they got was $62k, and they decided to lease it because they don't want to deal with depreciation/battery life issues. So no tax credit. The local utility company, however, did cover the install cost for the Tesla charger in their garage. So they only had to pay for the hardware. Bro said it charges roughly 40 miles per hour. It might be the perfect vehicle for them. My brother owned an E92 M3 until about a year ago, but he never did anything with it. 5-6 mile commute to work and really nothing else. No mountain trips, no track weekends. Was being wasted in that application.
QUIKAG (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:16 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I was driving along the highway this weekend, and literally had 4 white Teslas surrounding me at one point.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I was driving along the highway this weekend, and literally had 4 white Teslas surrounding me at one point.
Time to get one too and assimilate!
Old 04-10-2023, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Aha, yes I agree that front visibility was great and while I hate the dashboard/display set up at least everything was kept low. In difference to so many manufacturers more or less "slapping" a tablet up high above air vents in middle of the dash.

The one they got was $62k, and they decided to lease it because they don't want to deal with depreciation/battery life issues. So no tax credit. The local utility company, however, did cover the install cost for the Tesla charger in their garage. So they only had to pay for the hardware. Bro said it charges roughly 40 miles per hour. It might be the perfect vehicle for them. My brother owned an E92 M3 until about a year ago, but he never did anything with it. 5-6 mile commute to work and really nothing else. No mountain trips, no track weekends. Was being wasted in that application.
It really is awesome for what it is and it's intended application. If this one stays good, we will like have at least one Tesla and/or another electric vehicle in our household going forward. For a daily, they are tough to beat. There is a reason they sell a metric crapton of them. They work very well for what they are supposed to do.

A big auto enthusiast here in Texas (he goes by SW) has a fleet of muscle cars, muscle trucks, Ferraris, Vettes, etc. His favorite daily now? Model S Plaid. He's on his 3rd one now and just loves it for a daily runabout car. Many of his car buddy's called him a heretic for forsaking ICE for a daily, but he says it's awesome and he loves it. Of course, he still has 10-15 ICE cars at any given time for the weekend cruises, etc.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:56 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-not-be-an-ev/

The best "EV". LOL.

With the solar roof option, you can pretty much drive free. Batteries charge while you're parked, and while driving, battery efficiency increased over non-solar equipped trims as AC, radio, and a number of other auxiliary systems can be powered by the panels - excellent for the sun belt regions (TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA, etc. etc.), but still useful in the summer for other regions.

Expect a 10+ month delivery time if you want to buy without ADM.
QUIKAG (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 04:44 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Given finite resources, Toyota’s argument is that it makes more sense to build eight 13kWh plug-in hybrids than it does to build one 100kWh fully electric vehicle.
It's annoying beyond belief that Toyoda is being slammed by clueless shareholders over the above.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-not-be-an-ev/

The best "EV". LOL.

With the solar roof option, you can pretty much drive free. Batteries charge while you're parked, and while driving, battery efficiency increased over non-solar equipped trims as AC, radio, and a number of other auxiliary systems can be powered by the panels - excellent for the sun belt regions (TX, NM, AZ, NV, CA, etc. etc.), but still useful in the summer for other regions.

Expect a 10+ month delivery time if you want to buy without ADM.
The new Prius is way nicer and almost breaks the stereotype of its past. Probably the perfect overall "boring" daily commuter for the buck.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:33 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Curious how plush the new Prius is as a commuter. Is there a Lexus version?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR