Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR

Old 04-05-2023, 07:48 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

While I agree there certainly are a lot of white Teslas around, I'm actually a fan of white cars. Why? Call it stupid but compared to say a black car, they aren't going to be as hot when sitting out in the sun. After having a couple black cars I like that the car won't be hot to the touch when sitting out in the summer sun.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I'm a fan of white cars too, my Land Rover and 911 are both white. Getting excited about a white tesla is difficult though, damn near every tesla I see is white.

There are other colors out there other than black and white, and grey for that matter.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:27 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I'm a fan of white cars too, my Land Rover and 911 are both white. Getting excited about a white tesla is difficult though, damn near every tesla I see is white.

There are other colors out there other than black and white, and grey for that matter.
I agree on the excitement thing, but having put a few hundred miles myself on it around town and a total of 500 to date, it's actually a really great car to zip around town in. Great visibility, tech works great, interior is comfy, the ride on our 19" wheel Y long range (supposedly it has a bit more "comfort" oriented in '22/'23 models that aren't the Performance one) is actually good, and that instant, effortless thrust is a lot of fun. Smoked a guy revving his GT350 this past weekend away from a light up to 90ish before I lifted. Actually, my wife took a video. I'll get it uploaded for fun.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:37 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Here's the short clip. You can hear him revving his engine, so he was just asking for it. It's just effortless to clip off approximate 4 second 0-60 runs in the Y and mid/high 12's at 109 or so in the 1/4 with zero thought. A GT350 to get those times requires a perfect launch and banging through the gears to blow by the Y by the end of the 1/4 mile.

I will say the GT350 sounds a million times better than the Y.

The following 2 users liked this post by QUIKAG:
i VieTEC (04-14-2023), sam_spider (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:00 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Lol, yeah he was definitely egging you on.

Love how she's telling you to go go go
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Yeah, Teslas made muscle cars obsolete. Btw, the GT350s aren't anything ridiculous in a straight line, alot of the DI coyotes will beat them too, those things are like s2000s. But they do sound quite good though.
QUIKAG (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 05:59 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

A friend of mine paid extra to have a while Tesla a few years ago before it was the free option, now they swapped the free colors and everyone has his same car lol
Old 04-06-2023, 07:03 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Tesla did not make muscle cars obsolete. I'm sorry thats a ridiculous statement lol
WolfpackS2k (04-10-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 08:38 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 04-06-2023, 11:25 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Here's the short clip. You can hear him revving his engine, so he was just asking for it. It's just effortless to clip off approximate 4 second 0-60 runs in the Y and mid/high 12's at 109 or so in the 1/4 with zero thought. A GT350 to get those times requires a perfect launch and banging through the gears to blow by the Y by the end of the 1/4 mile.

I will say the GT350 sounds a million times better than the Y.
Same thing has happened to me in the f’in Leaf dude. Last one was a guy in a Mustang GT. Stupidly loud (obnoxious) exhaust. Sitting at a light just revving his engine. Light went green and I nailed it. Leaf ain’t no Tesla, by any stretch, but 0-40 mph it’s quick. So I nail it, he’s getting gapped, I’m WFO, and the speed limit is 40 mph. It’s a suburban street right by the crib. I’ve got him by some car lengths when he finally shifts to 2nd. In 1st he had no chance. So he shifts into 2nd, nails it, and his whole car went sideways to the point he almost slammed into the, whatever the concrete divider thing is. 3 lane road. I was center lane. He’s left lane. I seriously thought he was going to slam into that concrete curb. As he revs it out in 2nd, he finally manages to get the thing straight, catch up and pass me but I had already shut down. I’m not into stop light racing so I just pinned it to 40 mph, and set the cruise on at something like 43 mph so I couldn’t get a ticket but he could. He continued, like the idiot he was, to rev it all the way out in 2nd and I don’t know how fast he was going. Whatever a GT tops out in 2nd. It was probably 60 something mph.

And what’s funny is for all the goo gaa over the Shelby. I really thought I was going to buy one. Drove two different model years. One guy I talked to said first gen, and second gen. Maybe they made some changes, I don’t know. Test drove the first one, and It felt like a boat to me. Hood seemed massive, blind spots, didn’t care for the visibility. The Voodoo is obviously fantastic, aurally, but the mid range was weak. It felt like low torque. So I drove the second one, same shit. I mean the next day I test drove an OG M2 and immediately liked the thing 10X more, and it had way better midrange. Car was smaller, but felt like it had more seating room, didn’t feel as cramped, visibility was much better, as well as handling. As soon as I drove that OG M2 the GT350 was a memory and nothing more. Then I drove the M2C and almost jizzed my pants. To this day the Shelby seems like some hype.

I haven’t driven the P model Y but have driven the rest of them. North park was pretty sweet for a few years as the made it easy to drive whatever. The midrange in those rival my sportbikes they are that stupid quick. I remember when I drove the P90D. Got it on 75, lectured the Tesla lady about track time, experience, and she finally relented. I put my foot to the floor and said got damn. And I had just driven a MP4-12C the previous week. F’in mind bending midrange. Still a boat in the corners tho’.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR