Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR

Old 03-22-2023, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
These are two completely different cars. Not sure what there is to discuss?
You’re right they’re two completely different cars. Most people wouldn’t cross shop these two, I guess I’m just a Honda fanboy debating if I should go electric.

Originally Posted by silvio1522
By your own admission, you ordered the wrong car. Do you want me to tell you otherwise, or what?
You’re absolutely correct hahaha

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Do you want to shift gears or not ? One is faster the other has a real tranny, one is quiet and comfy the other is less so.
I do want to shift gear and rev match downshift, but I also want rollercoaster instant torque on demand. Can’t have it all right? Haha

Originally Posted by Iilac
If you like to drive, get the FL5. If you just need A to B transport, get the Tesla.
Yup yup

Originally Posted by Bullwings
One has been impacted by 19 recalls since it was first launched in 2020, one has not. One of those recalls impacts the steering wheel falling off while driving - not what I consider "safer".

The one with the 19 recalls also just got a massive price cut, along with all of the other cars that the brand makes. Last I checked, less money usually doesn't help with improving build quality...

Edit: I was wrong. It's 20 recalls.
https://www.cars.com/research/tesla-model_y/recalls/

Type-R for 2018 to 2023 only has 1 recall (on the 2019 model) for fuel pump.
https://www.cars.com/research/honda-...-2019/recalls/
blah over the air software update is not a real recall to me.

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What are the parameters of this discussion?
I’m not sure myself

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I ordered a Model Y LR mid-Jan for the wife when the price was cut to $52,990. We did white interior, so $53,990 plus destination minus the tax credit (limbo right now on exactly how much). A lot of vehicle for the money for the net cost.

But, our date keeps getting pushed too.
I like Tesla for their easy to order a car system because I hate dealing with dealerships. I ordered on 2/3 and the original delivery date was within February, but estimated delivery date keep getting pushed back and now it’s almost the end of March and I still don’t have a VIN assignment. My latest estimate delivery date is between 3/30-3/31. We also ordered a long range model back in January and took delivery of that vehicle within a week delivered to our driveway.

In the meantime I’m calling every Honda dealer to get a CTR allocation and they all want a minimum of $12K markup on a vehicle still in transit and they couldn’t give a definitive time of arrival. I sure love Honda but I hate dealing with their dealerships.

I also have a Ford Maverick order from a year ago that hasn’t been fulfilled. I get an email fro
Ford every now and then to say please be patient with our supply chain challenges.

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I’d buy the CTR and walk, bike, or ride the bus for my commute and trips around town. Save the R for drives that are worthwhile.
I’m buying a CTR to drive it enthusiastically every day.

Originally Posted by darcyw
If you want to Beta test, get the Tessie. But remember, gas is cheap. Batteries are expensive. Buy a typeR and demand to pay MSRP, nothing more. Or move to Canada where we only pay MSRP

There are other considerations philosophically but I'll leave that for another day.

darcy
Im not buying FSD, no beta here bro. Gas is not cheap, I don’t keep cars for that long to worry about the battery.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:53 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by i VieTEC
I like Tesla for their easy to order a car system because I hate dealing with dealerships. I ordered on 2/3 and the original delivery date was within February, but estimated delivery date keep getting pushed back and now it’s almost the end of March and I still don’t have a VIN assignment. My latest estimate delivery date is between 3/30-3/31. We also ordered a long range model back in January and took delivery of that vehicle within a week delivered to our driveway.
I placed the order for the Y LR on 1/15/23. We are taking delivery this Saturday (two days from now) on ours. Selling the LX570 to Give me the VIN. Bittersweet on selling the LX, but we have parking issues as it is with all the vehicles and paying insurance and hassle of parking for a car that's going to sit every day of the month except for maybe one or two (bad weather days or whatever) doesn't make sense.

So, bold move buying a Model Y and selling one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet (it's still a tank with 118k miles but definitely is a bit worn with the 2 younger boys on the inside and scratches, small dings, etc. for a hard life 9.5 years on the outside, so it's time for it to move on to someone else, I suppose.

We shall see how the Tesla EV experience goes. Wife is excited for it and it is fun to drive. She likes the fart horn noises too.
The following users liked this post:
i VieTEC (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually just went through the same decision. Trying to decide between the Model 3 Performance and the FL5 was difficult. I've had alot of seat time with the M3P, it was lightning quick. Seats were comfortable, handled well for a heavy car, great tech, and I loved the one pedal driving. Several issues swayed me though: 1) I hated the climate control and music interface - give me physical controls. 2) Range Anxiety and cold weather performance would greatly impede my ability to enjoy long road trips. 3) Electrification is coming, I wanted to enjoy a car that is fully petrol and manual (I'm sure my next car is going to be the next gen M3P or MYP).

Luckily I got my Type R for 4K over and a week wait, guess I was at the right place at the right time. I love the FL5, its so much better in every area than the FK8 with the exception of acceleration. I love the interface between me and the car, the controls are perfect! Seats, shifter, handling, and brakes are incredible. Because the car is so much more understated than the prior generation, you blend into the crowd, which is my preference. I don't think you could go wrong with the M3P. I just wanted to enjoy my inner kid one last time.
i VieTEC (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:15 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

blah over the air software update is not a real recall to me.
Sure. Okay... I'm sure that these are all fine. If you're cool with your suspension falling apart and then your seat belts and seat failing following the subsequent crash due to said suspension failure...

It's literally a bunch of loose bolts being missed over and over and over. Speaks to poor build quality and quality control.

Last edited by Bullwings; 03-23-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Sure. Okay... I'm sure that these are all fine. If you're cool with your suspension falling apart and then your seat belts and seat failing following the subsequent crash due to said suspension failure...

It's literally a bunch of loose bolts being missed over and over and over. Speaks to poor build quality and quality control.

fake news bro.

Originally Posted by HwangTKD
I actually just went through the same decision. Trying to decide between the Model 3 Performance and the FL5 was difficult. I've had alot of seat time with the M3P, it was lightning quick. Seats were comfortable, handled well for a heavy car, great tech, and I loved the one pedal driving. Several issues swayed me though: 1) I hated the climate control and music interface - give me physical controls. 2) Range Anxiety and cold weather performance would greatly impede my ability to enjoy long road trips. 3) Electrification is coming, I wanted to enjoy a car that is fully petrol and manual (I'm sure my next car is going to be the next gen M3P or MYP).

Luckily I got my Type R for 4K over and a week wait, guess I was at the right place at the right time. I love the FL5, it’s so much better in every area than the FK8 with the exception of acceleration. I love the interface between me and the car, the controls are perfect! Seats, shifter, handling, and brakes are incredible. Because the car is so much more understated than the prior generation, you blend into the crowd, which is my preference. I don't think you could go wrong with the M3P. I just wanted to enjoy my inner kid one last time.
Which dealership sold you the fl5 with $4k markup? I want the same deal
Old 03-23-2023, 12:18 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

fake news bro.

I can tell you from alot of experience, it's not fake news, as the documented recall notices should absolutely indicate.
i VieTEC (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I placed the order for the Y LR on 1/15/23. We are taking delivery this Saturday (two days from now) on ours. Selling the LX570 to Give me the VIN. Bittersweet on selling the LX, but we have parking issues as it is with all the vehicles and paying insurance and hassle of parking for a car that's going to sit every day of the month except for maybe one or two (bad weather days or whatever) doesn't make sense.

So, bold move buying a Model Y and selling one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet (it's still a tank with 118k miles but definitely is a bit worn with the 2 younger boys on the inside and scratches, small dings, etc. for a hard life 9.5 years on the outside, so it's time for it to move on to someone else, I suppose.

We shall see how the Tesla EV experience goes. Wife is excited for it and it is fun to drive. She likes the fart horn noises too.

Ugh, don't sell the LX for a Model Y. Not saying don't get the Model Y, or maybe I am, but don't sell the LX.

Your car collection seems to be taking... interesting? turns as of late. ZR1, GT4, LX, BRZ, now Model Y, lime green automatic 911. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were content creator, lol.
QUIKAG (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I can tell you from alot of experience, it's not fake news, as the documented recall notices should absolutely indicate.
I was just messing around. Thank you.

I just received my VIN assignment for the Model Y Performance this afternoon. Plan is to keep this vehicle for maximum 1-3 years
TheDonEffect (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

fake news bro.

If you are serious PM me
Old 03-29-2023, 10:31 PM

2023 MYP white/white
Order date Friday 2/3/2023
Fremont Built date Thursday 3/23/2023
Delivery Date Friday 3/24/2023
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-w0kdjzl.jpg
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-wjcvg5m.jpg

So we took delivery of this 2023 Model Y Performance at the Burbank, California location. The delivery process went smoothly and the vehicle appeared flawless upon first inspection. The drive home was nice and the acceleration was impressive for a midsize SUV.

Then the next few days we began to discover a few minor flaws. We followed the instructions on the Tesla app and reported the defects for service. This process was a nightmare, every time we reported a new flaw, the previous report disappeared along with the flaw associated with that report. We had to write all the flaws in one report or it would only save the latest report and discard the earlier. I spoke with one service advisor at the Van Nuys location and her response to my complaint was you bought a Tesla for the technology not the built quality. Oh and then Tesla told us that we reported these defects outside of the 100 miles or after 24 hours and they would charge us. I politely stood my ground and they agreed to take care of it at no cost.

I actually enjoy driving the car very much, it’s an excellent commuter. The engineering is great on this car, but I don’t understand how it could be so poorly assembled. Having said all the negative things, the short term verdict is this is still one of the most impressive vehicle I have ever owned in terms of the way it drives.

For reference, my previous cars: 1987 Toyota Camry, 1998 Honda Accord, 2002 Acura RSX, 2008 BMW 135i, 2006 Lexus IS350, 2008 Honda CRV, 2013 MBz C250, 2016 Kia Sorento, 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Mazda CX-5, 2020 Honda Odyssey.

DEFECTS:
Torn speak mesh on passenger front door
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-trth0bl.jpg

Minor interior trim defect
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-dlcysuj.jpg

Front fender alignment misaligned. Interestingly this almost self resolved without intervention.
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-ieiiixg.jpg

Front driver side A pillar
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-k4ydpka.jpg

Rear hatchback gap on right side
Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR-dmlr8xb.jpg

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y Performance vs FL5 CTR