Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla

Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dogas,Oct 6 2006, 07:19 AM
I believe this car has the potential to change the auto industry. It is the first good looking, high performance electric car with a long range. They are using this car to fund production of cheaper, more accessible electric cars.

It's not going to be immediate, but over the next 5-10 years. If this car (and subsequent Tesla cars) are a hit (and I believe they will be), expect to see a lot more electric cars on the road. Some manufacturers will take advantage sooner than others, and they will be ahead of the curve. Other manufacturers will have to play catchup.

Why do I have the feeling that Japanese auto makers will jump on this first?
because they always do. thats why they're head of the automotive industry right now.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Oct 6 2006, 08:16 AM
The majority of power in this country comes from coal, and as efficient as power generation may be there are huge transmission losses. So unless you are charging next door to a hydroelectric plant it is not near as clean a deal as you may think. Not to say that electric vehicles are bad, they may one day be the backbone of transportation, but we need to be fully knowledgeable about what we are being sold.

A true zero emissions auto would be magic.
In many metro area's in the US you have the option of selecting 'green power'. A person paying 100K to by an electric car to be greener already selects green power. If you charge up at home you are significantly cleaner.

Oh and BTW they do have true zero emission cars. They run solar car challenges every year. Not that I would want one, but it is possible.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Oct 6 2006, 01:33 PM
In many metro area's in the US you have the option of selecting 'green power'. A person paying 100K to by an electric car to be greener already selects green power. If you charge up at home you are significantly cleaner.

Oh and BTW they do have true zero emission cars. They run solar car challenges every year. Not that I would want one, but it is possible.
Yes, you can select 'green power' but there is simply a limited supply so you get whatever is on the grid... baseline power generation in this country is coal, gas, nuclear. Even in California with its environmental laws and the benefit of imported hydro power and in-state geothermal gets well over half its power by burning fossil fuel.

A tremendous amount of R&D has gone into solar in the last forty years but it is nowhere close to being a transportation alternative, especially on rainy days.

Any car has some amount of emissions just sitting. The plastics, rubbers, lubricants, etc. all have measurable evaporative emissions, so zero is not really an accurate description.

Not being negative, just sorting the hype and the facts.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kickass car, cut the price in 1/2 and I'd be a likely buyer!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM

Last weekend I went for a spin in the Wrightspeed X1 (0-60 in 3s). Acceleration was unlike anything I've experienced in a car before. Power comes on instantly, and just stays on all the way to top speed. The chassis is from an Ariel Atom so the handling and brakes are razor sharp. Actually the electric motor version of the Atom is more comfortable than the gas-powered, due to the absence of the extreme noise, vibration, and wind being sucked through the intake (cf. Clarkson's joke about that). Compared to the AC Tesla, the X1 is faster, more elemental, and more raw.

According to Ian Wright, the CEO of Wrightspeed, the Li ion battery packs alone are worth $40k, so no telling what asking price would be. The guy was giving rides out rather freely, so be on the lookout for appearances if you're really interested.

http://www.wrightspeed.com/
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Oct 6 2006, 04:17 AM
the fact that they try to market this car as zero emission is BS. there may be no emission coming out of the tailpipe (or lack thereof), but the electrical powerplant that produces the electricity for the car may most likely produce emission of some level.
If you think this is bad.... try telling GM that fuelcell crap as it is 4x more polluting as it takes 4x the electricity to produce hybrogen.

At least EV does not REQUIRE petroleum. But petro car REQUIRES it. How can you make it better? Not drive?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by protokultur,Oct 6 2006, 01:53 PM
Last weekend I went for a spin in the Wrightspeed X1 (0-60 in 3s). Acceleration was unlike anything I've experienced in a car before. Power comes on instantly, and just stays on all the way to top speed. The chassis is from an Ariel Atom so the handling and brakes are razor sharp. Actually the electric motor version of the Atom is more comfortable than the gas-powered, due to the absence of the extreme noise, vibration, and wind being sucked through the intake (cf. Clarkson's joke about that). Compared to the AC Tesla, the X1 is faster, more elemental, and more raw.

According to Ian Wright, the CEO of Wrightspeed, the Li ion battery packs alone are worth $40k, so no telling what asking price would be. The guy was giving rides out rather freely, so be on the lookout for appearances if you're really interested.

http://www.wrightspeed.com/
I still prefer the Tesla car.

Why? Because the 2 speed tranny in the Tesla motor is their own design as opposed to Wrightspeed. Wrightspeed uses AC Propulsion's system directly from their shop as Tesla only uses AC Propulsion's patten, and build the electrical system from Taiwain. As a result, the Wrightspeed's maxspeed is <100 mph, while the Tesla's top speed is around 130 mph.

For more comforts and feature at 100k as opposed to what Wrightspeed guys are suggesting (around mid 100k).

Wrightspeed founders are former Tesla Engineers.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Oct 6 2006, 05:02 PM
I still prefer the Tesla car.

Why? Because the 2 speed tranny in the Tesla motor is their own design as opposed to Wrightspeed. Wrightspeed uses AC Propulsion's system directly from their shop as Tesla only uses AC Propulsion's patten, and build the electrical system from Taiwain. As a result, the Wrightspeed's maxspeed is <100 mph, while the Tesla's top speed is around 130 mph.

For more comforts and feature at 100k as opposed to what Wrightspeed guys are suggesting (around mid 100k).

Wrightspeed founders are former Tesla Engineers.
On top of that, the Wrightspeed doesn't looks more like a project than an exotic. the Tesla roadster is slower, but it has a practicality of a real car (air conditioning, stereo, windshield, etc)

As for electric engines being "dirty?" well, I'd have to add that it is true that gas engines cant' get higher than 20% energy from oil, and coal burning/nuclear power is much more efficient and has a higher yield of energy than what a gas engine produces. So, no matter where you live and what energy source they use to get electricity, its always going to be cleaner than a gas engine or hybrid.

I hope the Tesla does well. They need to sell this car (actually, its sold out) to get more investors in their company; their next project is an electric sedan under $30k I believe.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:31 AM

250 miles per charge... 10 hours to fully charge...
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Invest Invest Invest! Al Gore's already put down a deposit.

I don't think this will be like the Stefan Erikson Gizmondo scam, but who saw that one coming?

Quick Reply: Tesla