Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me out of trading S on STi

Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Thank you again for the indepth reply Yama! That's great info from someone who knows subarus. The Internet has so much conflicting information on what power they can/can't handle.

Basically I would want the car at stage 2, maybe slightly more. It's going to be my DD, it will not get tracked and I will not be launching or slamming gears in it. I'm generally very gentle and conscious with manual transmissions.

The power level that I would want would be the highest reliability possible as the car is my DD, I would like a 12.x second quarter mile reliable DD. is this possible with an Sti or legacy gt?
Stage 2 with bolt on mods will be super reliable on the STI, just make sure your tune is running safe and check your oil level OFTEN since the EJs are very thirsty. Stay on top of your basic maintenance and you should never have any issues. I've had 2 STIs and 1 WRX and had absolutely ZERO issues with any of them and they were all at least stage 2. The STI 6-speed is very tough too, you don't need to be paranoid about it blowing up or anything. The WRX guys bitch about weak transmissions but they are strong too. Almost every time the issue is driver error from some tard slamming through the gears not knowing how to properly drive an AWD manaul transmission.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Long story short: buy...

I have considered Legacy GT, I don't like the new model though. So 04-08 it would be, but I need something sporty to keep my sports car itch scratched.

What to do??
What do you mean by transmission issues? Are you talking about the gear whine? The diffs in the STis are pretty much bomb proof as well.

Not sure about the oil thirsty engine; I beat the piss out of my sti and the oil level has been exactly the same for the past 6 months.

Just don't set the diff to full lock and drive around town taking sharp slow turns and then complain the tranny is making noises and is lurching.

Some people will say "lol STIs stall all the time when taking off/reversing roflol" this is due to the "hill assist" feature, once you figure out its temperament, you won't have issues with it.

FYI: MY 08 STi is stage 1 bms intake/93 tune, 76000 miles, original clutch/flywheel/diff. Nothing but regular maintenance and fluid changes have been done.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And don't be worried if it gets in the 11's or 12's. What's the point? Stage 1 or 2 STi is quick enough for daily street use and having fun time, and easily enough to get you thrown in jail overnight. Drifting the car effortlessly when it rains is a highlight for me (in school zones, during the day, near children and mothers, or course).
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You will regret. I went from WRX > s2k > STI > s2k > STI > s2k. The two STIs I had for a combined time of about 10 months. I kept thinking I wanted a bigger more practical car and then I just greatly missed the s2k. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it.

I think I have decided against the Sti. It's too expensive for what it is IMO. I have also decided against getting rid of the S.

My dilemma is either buy high mileage legacy gt or regular legacy or something else for $10k or less.

This all really stemmed from the thoughts of not selling our current house and renting it out but I have decided against that headache as well. So the need for all possible cash for a house purchase in the next year as gone away.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant see where you're from because im on my phone, but are you actually in a climate where you would require an awd DD ?
I would imagine there are cars out there that will get better MPG and have the same quality ride for that 10k and probably lower mileage. Unless you want decent power too
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you are keeping the S now are you buying a car cash or financing? If you had 10k cash to spend personally I'd just get a low interest loan for maybe 5k to put on top. You can get a really nice Legacy GT for 15k and will be MUCH more fun than getting the NA version!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd like to spend $10k or less without a payment. I'm looking at CRV's now.

Yes, I live in the Northeast, in PA. So Awd DD is a nice thing to have. I just bought Fiance an Acura RDX so we are covered with the family vehicle area.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to spend $10k or less without a payment. I'm looking at CRV's now.

Yes, I live in the Northeast, in PA. So Awd DD is a nice thing to have. I just bought Fiance an Acura RDX so we are covered with the family vehicle area.
A family will fill up an RDX quickly!

You should be able to grab a first gen CRV for under $5k. They are bulletproff; just make sure the timing belt is up to date.

An older 4runner could be had for under $10k.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not replace my s2k with an STI but I bought one for my wife cause i wanted one. Horrible horrible decision. Traded it in for a BRZ just about 2 months ago and im loving it. 2 days after I sold it the ej25 in it gave its last breath away. The ej25s are just horrible engines, many have blown in stock cars right out of the showroom.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading S on STi