Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me out of trading S on STi

Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

I made sure to switch map to sport sharp when driving the Sti. I took it wot from 2nd gear until mid 4th and I really felt like the S would've blown its doors in. Whether that's right or wrong I don't know but that's what I felt like.

Anyway, wrx is a no because I don't want to be worrying about transmissions and motors. I realize Sti has the ring land but I'm looking at the latest model. It will get Cobb pro tuned basically immediately.

And yes, I love my S dearly but im trying to be as honest as possible with myself and I know that insuring 3 cars is dumb when I'm trying to set myself up to have current house as rental property and saving for new house as well.

If I did switch to Sti, I would absolutely go hatch. If I'm going practical, I'm going all in!

Still kicking this around, it would be an easier decision if the Sti wasn't so damn expensive.

My problem is the stock Sti felt slow enough that i feel like i would regret buying it the second i took it off the lot.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Long story short: buying another house in two years, getting married in a month, kids right after, I live in Northeast in PA.

I love my S dearly, but with only having a 2 car garage, a S plus beater means beater is outside in winter. Also, I'd feel like of like a jerk driving around newborn kids in some beater car for the sake of having S in garage that I won't have time to drive.

I'm also trying to be as financially smart as possible with cash. Buying STi is more overall debt, however I wouldn't be out the cash I plan to spend on winter beater this coming fall.

I am torn what to do. I drove a 2012 Sti and honestly it felt slow. It had 10k miles on the clock, not sure if something was wrong with it or not, but it really felt sluggish to me. My S for reference is intake/exhaust that's it. The Sti shifter was horrendous of course, and the prices for them are outrageous for what you get IMO. for $35kish I want everything, I want leather, I want the performance, etc. Not a WRX interior with suede seats. Sti also will need a few mods $1000 to get it to what I want. More cash out the door.
Of course? I have both an STi (and have driving A LOT of STI's) and an S2000 and the STi shifter is very good. At times, I like it better than the S2000 shifter.

The "slow" you're feeling is more than likely the fact that it's a bigger car, but it's not slower than your S2000.

I'm afraid of a WRX because of their transmission issues, AND the transmission is not something I think I could live winith everyday. It's atrocious. I just drove my buddies 2012 from Cleveland to State College this past weekend (4 hour drive) and loved the power, but sloppy handling and tranny was worst than most forklifts I've driven.
How hard do you plan on driving this car? Not only are the newer WRX transmission better, but it takes a good bit of power to break one of these. Something along the lines of A LOT more boost and E85. As far as sloppy handling... You're comparing an S2000 to a bigger sedan that in it's natural state, will plow through turns like it didn't want you to make that turn.

I have considered Legacy GT, I don't like the new model though. So 04-08 it would be, but I need something sporty to keep my sports car itch scratched.

What to do??
If you keep comparing any car in this class to an S2000, you're not going to be happy. This is why I have both the S2000, STi, and a DD.

ALSO, you won't be worrying about the motor with a newer WRX. The 2.5L WRX motors have very, and I mean very little differences between it and the STi.

To the person that mentioned the interior being nice on the Evo. I think the Evo crowd will disagree with prejudice.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
The GR hatch is awesome. Perhaps you didn't switch the OEM Map to sport sharp via the selector between the seats. Makes a big difference.

A 2012 only needs Stage 1, a Cobb AP stage 1 map to unleash it.

The new one comes out in 12 months. It will be lighter, faster, and get better MPG. It will have DI, and won't have the ringland problem possibility as they've relocated the turbo under the engine. It will also handle much better. The pre prod version is circling the ring right now and the videos show a very flat cornering car without the body roll of the previous gen.
These are not related, at all.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Why not an Evo? The interiors are quite nice in those, and is basically the same thing as the STI
have you ever seen the inside of an Evo? And they aren't the same thing, an Evo is better.

Problem with a WRX is there is nothing under 3500, and nothing above 6000.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a 13' STI and it was such boring drive. Left totally un-impressed.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

If you're looking for that more "raw" feeling, the newer STi's definitely will not fill that order. 04-07 STi's will offer more of that, but when comparing it to a "sports" car, you have to remember that this is NOT a sports car. The S2000 is a blast to drive, but for very different reasons, I really like my 2005 STi. My STi is a bit far from stock, but I kept the stock appearance and drivability with my parts selection. It's a pretty tame car until you open up the wastegate, then it just gets LOUD and slams you in your seat.

I'm one of those guys that can't stand the "Subaru Rumble" and put an ELH on the car.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Thank you yamasho for the in depth response! I thought the wrx motors were not forged at all vs the Sti motors everything forged except pistons?

What i want is to be able to safely run stage 2 or a little more without worrying about the transmission or the motor. from what ive read online, the wrx motor is at the edge of reliable at stage 2. Also, I much prefer the stiffer more balanced handling of the Sti versus the wrx.

I wish the Sti weren't so expensive. It's really tough for me to buy one used out of fear of abuse and the ring land issue.

Yamasho, what are your thoughts about purchasing one used?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Evo is totally out, not even considered. My opinion but the car to me is one of the ugliest on the planet. I can't stand the exterior or interior.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep your s and get on older CR-V.

-you get to have your toy

-You get a daily that's great in the snow (assuming you get AWD)

-you can get a 1st or 2nd generation for cheap (I much prefer the 1st generation)

-Insurance, gas, and maintenance is cheap

-you don't have worry about exposing your new STI (or whatever you get) to winter driving conditions

This saves you the most money and you get the best of both worlds; a fun sports car and a utilitarian SUV with tons of room (for it's size).

My wife has a '97 that's going strong at almost 200k miles.

Is it fun to drive? Not really, but that's not the point (although my wife loves that it drives like a little truck).

While basic, there's nothing wrong with the interior; no reason to feel bad about loading kids in an older CR-V.

We have been thinking about getting her something newer, and if we do, I plan to keep her CR-V as my daily.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was unaware of tranny issues on the GR. I havent had any, and havent really heard of enough occurances to think of it as a common issue. The WRX/STI is a commonly modded car, and from what Ive seen, a commonly beaten car.

From my experience half of the people that make noise about the motors being problematic havent even owned one and are just reciting what theyve heard. The other half that do own the car are typically modded and likely account for less than 1% of the WRX/STI population.

You want a car that is cheaper as you mentioned your hesitation on buying the STI. You want a car that is fast since you mentioned you wanted to run a stage 2 tune. You want a car that is reliable which is the reason you wont consider the WRX ( i still am not sure where you gathered the WRX is less reliable than the STI).

I thinks its a pretty common saying that you can choose 2 of the following 3 : fast,cheap,reliable.

Given that, I suggest if you want GR, I recommend the WRX. Its cheaper than the STI, its as reliable as the STI, and can be made just as fast as any STI.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading S on STi