Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me out of trading my S2000(LONG)

Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you thought about a viper?

has everything the C5 has, same power, much better seats, and much more exotic bling.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM

The Vette uses old pushrod technology, gets lousy gas mileage, doesn't hold it's value well, there a dime a dozen and it's union made. Personally I'd stick with the S.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Jan 14 2010, 07:41 AM
Hmmm, my impression was that the C5 steering felt HEAVIER at all speeds, but with little/no feel whatsoever. Kinda like there was a viscous device sapping steering input force without giving any feedback.

Only drove one once, though...
@dan, did that car have aftermarket front wheels, and/or bigger tires up front? If anything I personally found the vette steering a touch too light, and figured id get a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel if I found it bothered me.
@s2krally

Yes I have considered a viper, two things prevent that car from being right.
One, its no fun on the street without being dangerous. I have no driven one, but everyone I have talked to about it say that the limit is VERY high(No low speed oversteer fun) and when you do FIND the limit, it trys to kill you. If I were going for fastest track times possible, a viper would be above the vette for sure, but I want to enjoy the car in all aspects of driving.

Two, they NEVER sound good, this is really a minor detail, but I strongly dislike the exhaust note of the viper. Ive checked youtube for modded exhaust/cams ect, and all of them sound crappy IMO.

It is a damn good looking car though...

Thanks again guys
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Let me give you some input.
I've had an '07 Silverstone that I traded in for an '08 C6 coupe.

First things first, the power/torque in the Vette is VERY fun. It definitely puts the S2000 to shame.
Of course this would mean that the Vette will be faster on most tracks with minimal effort.
It's also a better daily driver IMO. While the seats have virtually no grip, it's more comfy for a DD. Softer suspension and the heavy "feel" of the chassis is also a plus. Tons of hatch space.

You said you wanted great handling, great power, and good looks that has 2 seats only, then it might be the car for you.

But if you're looking for a more fun car to drive, I'd say it's not.
I probably had 10 times more fun in an S2000 than I have in my Vette.
1st gear from red light and I'm already beyond the speed limit in a Vette. While the car is only about 400 lbs more than the S, if feels MUCH heavier.
Also, not as tossable as the S.
Revving that 2.2/2.0 inline 4 rowing through the close-to-perfect gears were really fun.
But I wasn't smart enough to fully appreciate that fun factor and wanted more speed, more power, faster straight line acceleration.
Now that I've had quite a few cars, I'm slowly starting to appreciate the fun-ness(?) in each sports cars.

Honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd probably slap a Kraftwerks kit in the S and get a decent DD for daily commute....
But that's just me.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

Dan
Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 AM

What was it about the RX7 that it was "almost" perfect?

With 40K, you can do a LS7 FD.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boosted NSX?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 AM

C5 is SOOOOOOO out of date. Either trade up to a C6 of keep the S.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should keep your S because otherwise your screenname would be inaccurate.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shoes59,Jan 14 2010, 07:59 AM
The Vette uses old pushrod technology, gets lousy gas mileage, doesn't hold it's value well, there a dime a dozen and it's union made. Personally I'd stick with the S.
The Vette gets almost as good gas mileage as the S2000 does. From MSN Autos 2009 S2000 18/25 mpg, 2009 Vette 15/25mpg. Overhead cams are also old tech they have been around a looooong time.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Jan 14 2010, 09:01 AM
Let me give you some input.
I've had an '07 Silverstone that I traded in for an '08 C6 coupe.

First things first, the power/torque in the Vette is VERY fun. It definitely puts the S2000 to shame.
Of course this would mean that the Vette will be faster on most tracks with minimal effort.
It's also a better daily driver IMO. While the seats have virtually no grip, it's more comfy for a DD. Softer suspension and the heavy "feel" of the chassis is also a plus. Tons of hatch space.

You said you wanted great handling, great power, and good looks that has 2 seats only, then it might be the car for you.

But if you're looking for a more fun car to drive, I'd say it's not.
I probably had 10 times more fun in an S2000 than I have in my Vette.
1st gear from red light and I'm already beyond the speed limit in a Vette. While the car is only about 400 lbs more than the S, if feels MUCH heavier.
Also, not as tossable as the S.
Revving that 2.2/2.0 inline 4 rowing through the close-to-perfect gears were really fun.
But I wasn't smart enough to fully appreciate that fun factor and wanted more speed, more power, faster straight line acceleration.
Now that I've had quite a few cars, I'm slowly starting to appreciate the fun-ness(?) in each sports cars.

Honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd probably slap a Kraftwerks kit in the S and get a decent DD for daily commute....
But that's just me.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

Dan

And as said previously, DON'T GET A VETTE UNLESS IT'S A C6!

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading my S2000(LONG)