Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SUV for towing

Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
2009-10 VW Touareg TDI can be had for around that price. 7,700lb towing capacity, 400 ft/lb tq, 18/25 mpg, 4x4, vinyl "leather" interior is base model, but they do have a leather option.
In theory this is a good choice. In reality, this the second most unreliable vehicle after any Land Rover
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Dually crew cab and call it a day.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an '06 Yukon. Last year of that generation, so by far the fewest reported issues. Mine has a 5.3L engine and 4.10 gears plus the towing package. Rated for 8500# (7500# with the "normal" gear ratio). I paid $10.6K for it in the Seattle area with 160K miles.

I plan to tow my V8 Miata to the track with it when I'm done, and a camping trailer or boat otherwise. It will pull any of these easily.

<edit for typo>
Old 05-06-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You don't want all-time AWD on a tow vehicle. It's tougher on your diffs, tougher on your tires and you have a lower tow rating as well.
Oh I might have misstated that. I dont mean AWD only. I mean that when you turn the AWD on it STAYS on for as long as you want. The Pilot cuts the AWD off over 18mph.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Driven
Why not rent? Unless you are tracking twice a month, it's usually cheaper to rent than to own a truck. You can get a F250 for $90/day or less from Enterprise Truck rentals

I borrow a trailer and rent a truck for track events that are further than 3 hrs away. Usually costs me $500 or so, with gas, for four days of renting.
Because that money's gone at the end of the day. I like the idea of having some (instead of zero) equity when it's all said and done. Plus we need something to carry the garbage to the dump and larger supplies from Lowes.

As much as I hate my wife's Jetta, the Touareg isn't a bad idea at all.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used pickup (brand of your choosing) and call it a day; it's the right tool for the job.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Used pickup (brand of your choosing) and call it a day; it's the right tool for the job.
Went down that road with the wife and hit a dead end Believe me, I want one but already have 4 vehicles at the house.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by Driven' timestamp='1430859200' post='23602583
Why not rent? Unless you are tracking twice a month, it's usually cheaper to rent than to own a truck. You can get a F250 for $90/day or less from Enterprise Truck rentals

I borrow a trailer and rent a truck for track events that are further than 3 hrs away. Usually costs me $500 or so, with gas, for four days of renting.
Because that money's gone at the end of the day. I like the idea of having some (instead of zero) equity when it's all said and done. Plus we need something to carry the garbage to the dump and larger supplies from Lowes.

As much as I hate my wife's Jetta, the Touareg isn't a bad idea at all.
If you're not tracking a lot, that $2000/yr is what you'd lose in resale value (or more) anyways... but, having a vehicle on hand for random trips to lowes and such is nice.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SamySnead
Should be able to find a newer AWD Durango R/T with ~50k on it in that range. I'd highly recommend one with the 8speed but in that price range, the NAG1 trans may be the only choices. Have an '11 a Citadel myself and its superb compared to the lousy interior quality of previous Dodge vehicles.
This is what I was going to suggest myself - an 11-12 R/T would fit the bill with its 7k lb tow capacity, and you can get a lifetime warranty for a Dodge through FCA. I have a '12 Citadel and love it.

It is a midsize, lots of room for stuff inside, and not too wide, so its easy to drive and park. Built on the same chassis as the M Class Mercedes, and its American, so buying used is easy. Mine is also as well appointed as a Lexus, and that helps for the cross-country road trips.

If you want a more truck-like truck, look at a last gen Pathfinder SE/LE from 08-11. I'd mention 4Runners, but they are overpriced used and not that nice to drive imo.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

<$25k I think one of few good choices will be a last gen pathfinder as well. If you get one with a V8 the towing capacity is pretty darn good. I was considering going this route to have a people mover and an occasional tow vehicle, but don't foresee myself towing that much, so ultimately decided against it.

Nissans are pretty darn reliable and aren't too pricey. You could go for something like a 4Runner, but they're more expensive for what you get imo. I did consider a Pilot briefly, but their reliability is questionable, especially for towing (not to mention the capacity might not cut it for you). Honda's auto trannies aren't something I'd trust towing with quite a bit.

Quick Reply: SUV for towing