Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Supercharged Widebody NSX Plays the Temptress

Old 05-18-2023, 02:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The New Owner Response

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Supercharged Widebody NSX Plays the Temptress
By Brett Foote

Want a full JDM-ified NSX but don't want to hack one up? This wild widebodied first-gen is calling your name.
FWIW, I bought the car. I didn't "ruin" it, the mods were already done. I decided to save a piece of JDM in the US history and got me a great, low miles, NSX in the bargain. Cars have stories, this car has a great story.

I've had/have previously long owned two AP1's and two AP2's and still have one of each, the AP1 a track only and the AP2, a tastefully modded 2007.
The trashing and negative comments from keyboard warriors have been going on for DECADES on this car. What happens in person every weekend is a completely different experience.
It is an authentic 1990's show car built by the US distributor for Endless Brakes, Zeal Suspension, AME wheels and Falken tires. The distributor is good friends with the owner of BSM in Japan who has the "sister" BSM Widebody NSX. This was created just for this show car.
At its core, it is/was a very low miles (39,000), cosmetically modified, '91 NSX with the desirable "optional" Comptech supercharger and $7,300 worth of the best BBK in existence, nice adjustable JDM coilovers and a full custom mega-buck JDM audio/video system.
The biggest issue with the car when sold is that it never had ANY of the known repairs/upgrades required for an early '90's NSX. All of those mechanical fixes cost almost as much as the sale price. It took ten months to complete. I was not able to drive the car for almost the first year I owned it because it had a 20+ year old timing belt and needed many other upgrades. The decision was to take the engine out and just do EVERYTHING all at once at one of the NSX guru's in the US.
New SOS ABS system (they all failed), Stage 3 clutch, engine out for timing belt/water pump and full head job (just for age) with ARP studs, rebuilt HVAC system plus new condensers, rebuilt axles and replaced every belt, pulley and hose in the car. Rebuilt the window mechanisms (another 100% PIA required repair) and many, many more small items (steering wheel wrap w/blue stitching, shift boot, custom negative ground fix, a lot more.

Since I got the car out of the shop I have driven the ever loving piss out of it, about 4,000 miles a year, going to several C&C's or shows every weekend through the season.
It is an awesome build with about 100 whp more than stock, great handling and brakes. Still does "NSX things" very well, just on steroids.
I made the investment, drove it 500 miles the last two days and am at an annual NSX event this weekend with over 75 other East Coast NSX's and thankfully NSX values have skyrocketed since my purchase.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:32 PM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

You must be at the mid-east meet, I was thinking about going but just got home from 9 days and 3600 miles for RTD. Are you going to bring it to Atlanta for NSXPO?
Old 05-18-2023, 05:59 PM
Jub

Received 417 Likes on 327 Posts

The car actually looks pretty good. The only angle that I strongly dislike is the rear. The front and sides look fine. I read the words before I looked at the car and expected the body kit to be way worse.

It's clearly well done at least and I'm sure it drives great. The interior looks super nice too. If you're ever at Hunt Valley's C&C, I may make it there from time to time this year in a Laguna AP2.

Last edited by Jub; 05-18-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by RobM
You must be at the mid-east meet, I was thinking about going but just got home from 9 days and 3600 miles for RTD. Are you going to bring it to Atlanta for NSXPO?
Hi Rob,
Yes, I was at a FnF X Premiere event with the Futbol Club in Northern Virginia Wednesday and then at the NC Mid-East Meet all weekend. It is always a blast and a great NSX community to be a part of. Luckily they eventually "accepted" me LOL. Turned over 50K miles on the way back so it is double "ruined" now LOL.
SL

Last edited by colnagotifosi; 05-22-2023 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jub
The car actually looks pretty good. The only angle that I strongly dislike is the rear. The front and sides look fine. I read the words before I looked at the car and expected the body kit to be way worse.

It's clearly well done at least and I'm sure it drives great. The interior looks super nice too. If you're ever at Hunt Valley's C&C, I may make it there from time to time this year in a Laguna AP2.
Hunt Valley is a very regular stop for me Saturday mornings in season.
I drive it about 4,000 miles a year going to all the DMV C&C's and shows and if the weather is nice, and I don't have an annual show or a new thing or a monthly event, I can often be at Hunt Valley Horsepower and then at Jake's Grill at 10:30 for a beef sandwich! Your comments amuse me but has all been commented before. The funny part is that most people LOVE the rear and think Pagani saw it and copied it. Others can't abide by the fixed front headlights and one-piece front clip. So it is usually about one end or the other, in any case, it is all personal taste. I'll tell you this, it is a virile, powerful, fast and fun NSX and so much fun to drive and to drive hard.
SL

Last edited by colnagotifosi; 05-22-2023 at 05:26 AM.