Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Suggestions? ZX9R --> ?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=S1000RR,Sep 27 2009, 07:26 PM] can it be any more obvious?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Great pics! The ZX14 is a beautiful machine. I would love to make a trip like that on a bike one day.

I definitely do NOT need any more power than my 9R offers. I realize it is "slow" compared to the modern liter bikes, but seriously it is dangerously fast as is and I know people modify them for even more power as needed.

What I want is a bike with the power/comfort levels of my 9R but with even better handling. I have been reading on a bunch of sportbike forums and have found a lot of good threads. The advice seems to vary:

1. Get a pro to fine tune your 9R suspension, it will totally alter the handling characteristics of the bike; you simply won't find a modern sportbike as comfortable.

2. The 9R is a heavy pig, any modern liter bike will handle better and have a lot more power too.

3. The 10R, while more powerful and better peforming in every possible way, is miserable to ride for any length of time by comparison.

4. Sell 9R, buy 08+ CBR1000RR and never look back!

It's tough to make sense of the info I find online. People are so biased- the Kawi fans all basically swear that the 10R is the only bike that can replace the 9R. I am sure most of the posts I read are by people who haven't even ridden half of the bikes they are comparing.

In the end, I guess I need to take my time and try some bikes out. I can look at all the specs, but I can't tell how much a weight difference of 30-40lbs will feel when tossing the bike around, and I can't tell how comfortable a bike will be to ride while sitting on it in a showroom. One thing is for sure, the new CBR seems to get props all around!!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 27 2009, 09:17 PM
You're totally missing the gist of the OP's request
I clearly stated that the '06-'07 10R has excellent wind protection and decent comfort. It's not a couch like the ZX-14 is, just depends on what your personal priorities are...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sahtt,Sep 28 2009, 10:05 AM
Chris, this guy has been posting moronic posts all over the forum.

Like you said, he maybe read and comprehended 10% of the OP.
Get lost, asshole. No more stalkers, please.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rwheelz,Sep 28 2009, 10:59 AM
3. The 10R, while more powerful and better peforming in every possible way, is miserable to ride for any length of time by comparison.
You may want to actually ride one before you make such blanket statements. I take multi-hour spirited rides on mine all the time. The ZX-14 is a whale. The CBR is downright hideous, but if you think the 14 looks good, I can see why you might like the CBR.

FYI: Kawasaki has a new 10R coming out by late summer 2010 that is rumored to be a true monster. I'm either getting the new Beemer or that...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwheelz,Sep 28 2009, 12:59 PM
I definitely do NOT need any more power than my 9R offers. I realize it is "slow" compared to the modern liter bikes, but seriously it is dangerously fast as is and I know people modify them for even more power as needed.
Your bike is not slow by even current stds! Do you realize that the '98 ZX9R was the first stock production bike to generate generate a sub-10 sec. 1/4 mile? It was ~9.98-9.99 @ ~140+mph, def. not slow. I suspect the bikes size/weight may actually help in launching it.

I can't think of anything even today that will compare on power, comfort, and handling combined. Sportbikes have been getting smaller, lighter, and more track-focused, and that has come at the expense of comfort.

A 954RR would prob. be your next best bet, offering better handling but being somewhat down on power vs. the 9R. I found them to be pretty comfortable aside from the seat, which was too hard.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

For long distance touring, buy a Beemer touring bike. They still handle pretty well, or a Kaw Concours. A true sport bike has never been about comfort and never will be.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S1000RR,Sep 28 2009, 01:50 PM
For long distance touring, buy a Beemer touring bike. They still handle pretty well, or a Kaw Concours. A true sport bike has never been about comfort and never will be.
He wants to consider a new bike to retain what he likes about his 9R, but w/ improved handling.

How is your advice remotely close to solving his problem?

Try putting yourself in his shoes and understanding his needs instead of just blurting out what you prefer.....
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Try grasping the big picture. I'm not sure this guy really knows what the hell he wants, heck, now he's talking about a new CBR after he saw jon boy's post. The big picture is compromise bikes accomplish neither objective particularly well: touring or sport. True sport bikes today are narrow focus, track ready machines. The old school knock-off sport bikes have mediocre brakes and suspension, and do nothing well. The 929, for example, is dog slow, with mediocre suspension. This guy already thinks his 9 has more than enough power. For long straight aways and easy switch backs, BMWs touring line will perform extremely well, while offering the ability to carry hard bags for long trips, in addition to superb wind protection. Do the research. Figure out what you want.

Btw Chris, you need a job.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

S1000RR- I am neither making blanket statements, nor am I unsure of what I want. The statements I made above "1,2,3" etc were simply repeating information I have found while searching on sportbike forums AS STATED IN MY POST. As I have already said, I have not had the opportunity to ride a 10R or these other bikes. Some of the posts I found while searching were by people who had sold their 9R for a 10R. Tthey said that it was much more tiring to ride, specifically because it had a less comfortable riding position, and because it didn't "soak up the bumps" as well.

I completely understand that a bike that is geared more toward performance is inherently less comfortable. I am very happy with the overall package of the 9R, and I am in no hurry to get rid of it. I just thought that with 6-7 years of additional development, there might be a better overall package that suits my wants/needs than my current 2003 model.

Yes, I saw JonBoy's thread on the incredible CBR1000RR pricing, and have included that bike in my searches. This hardly makes me a member of the "Honda fanbois" legion that you refer to. How could I not include that bike as an option given the combination of the pricing and the unprecedented amount of positive press the bike has received? I am not going to say you are wrong, because I haven't ridden one, but there is absolutely no doubt that this is a bike people should at least be considering. I could buy that bike in JonBoy's post and have it shipped to me tomorrow if I was really dying to get onto a CBR.

True sport bikes today are narrow focus, track ready machines.
THIS part of what you are saying may be the most informative. Maybe there really isn't a better overall package for me despite 6+ years of development. I already have two bikes (still have my previous bike, a 2002 SV-650) or I would be considering adding a touring bike. I hardly need two, let alone three, especially since I also have a car hobby. My wife is incredibly understanding, but I don't want to push the envelope when I feel like I have it made!

Quick Reply: Suggestions? ZX9R --> ?