Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Suggestions? ZX9R --> ?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Suggestions? ZX9R --> ?

I am currently riding a 2003 ZX9R, and am considering selling it to get something more modern. I haven't ridden many different sportbikes, especially the newest models.

The die hard kawi fans tell me to stick with the 9R. I am not exactly brand loyal personally, though would ideally prefer a Kawi or a Honda. At least one friend is trying to convince me to go with a 600, claiming modern ~600cc bikes make almost the same power as my 9R.

What I like about my current bike: comfortable riding position, lots of torque, soaks up the bumps nicely and I can ride it all day, plenty of power when I wind it up.

What I dislike: specifically, the way the bike turns. I am 160 lbs and find that I really need to use my weight to make this bike turn. It just isn't as tossable as I had hoped (previously rode my SV650 for several years so it was a big change). I am told a professional suspension tuner can do a lot to change this, but I am not going to find anyone like that anywhere near me.

Is there a happy medium? Some riders tell me going back to a smaller displacement bike is not really an option after riding a bigger bike. I virtually never carry a passenger. I live in MT and there are a lot of long, straight, flat and boring open roads but there are also phenomenal winding mountain roads that I like to ride when I get the chance. Unfortunately, in the end this only amounts to about 5 times a season and most of my rides wind up being around the outskirts of the city.

Does anyone have suggestions on a model I should consider? Some of the older 600cc bikes I have sat on really had me laying down on the bike. The 9R is upright by comparison and I like to be comfortable. I am not racing and the nearest race track is 600 miles away, so as much as I'd like to do track days on my bike, it is much more practical to do them in one of my cars.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBRs are somewhat comfy. It doesn't make you lean forward as much. Higher handle bars easy riding position. Talking about 600cc here. I road mine up and down california (7hrs)... but I can't say it was a pretty ride haha.

What about 650r? Those are standard position has great torque and good for city riding!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

I am just not sure whether I can deal with a 40% drop in torque! I wish I could ride all of these bikes but the dealerships around here aren't interested in letting you test ride.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 PM
viK

It be great if could ride them before buying lol

I'd let u ride mine if u were near by, not one of ur model choices though, i do hear hondas are comfy and reliable and the zX6r getting good reviews
Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM

zx-14

great bike, I was almost dragging knees/exhaust on my test ride
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

The ZX-14 is definitely way more bike than I need! I am looking for better handling than my 9R offers. I would not consider a bike that is heavier. Don't get me wrong, I love the ZX-14 it just isn't for me.

I am going to try and find someone local who will let me try their CBR1000RR. Definitely more power than I need, but it is lighter and should handle much better than my 9R.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '99 ZX-9R, and it was a great bike. Def. more comfy than most other sportbikes then, even moreso vs. curretn ones.

You could also get good comfort and better agility in a CBR 929 or 954.

If you don't need as much wind protection, I highly recommend the KTM Super Duke. The Duc Hypermotard is also a blast, and comfy for shorter distances.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM

I sold my 06 636 today but still have my zx14. I just took the 14 to alaska and back from texas and it handles the twisties well but there is no comparison to the zx6r.

If you are looking for something that handles significantly better, it's going to be lighter and tighter, so ride quality and comfort is going to suffer. This is how it works.

I had a 954RR and it was a good in between. The bars were much less aggressive than today's SS's and it even had a trunk.

I will say this for sure, modern 600 SS's have such accurate and rapid transition and corner entry it will shock you if you are a good rider and can utilize it. My 636 had 135hp and with the lighter weight will probably feel just as fast.

In all honesty, the 14 and 636 don't even feel all that different acceleration wise. The difference is when you drop the hammer on the 14 you are at 160 when you hit 120 on the 636, they both feel fast just different deliveries.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 AM

The honda Interceptor might be up your alley. I saw a show recently where they rode a couple up to laguna seca from so cal and they all loved it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys- I will look into some of these other bikes mentioned.

Quick Reply: Suggestions? ZX9R --> ?