Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru WRX/STi reliability

Old 10-11-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive always wondered about the reliability of subaru also. im buying a car next year and i cant choose between the is300 and the wrx. ill probably go with the wrx because its more "sporty" but its gonna be a tough choice.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:26 PM

is 300 is overdue for a remodel in a bad way. great car, I have had both the auto and the man, just time to be updated imo. I have tracke the crap out of my Is's and l;oved them, they have a small understeer problem that can be fixed with sway bars. the subi is more of a racer. with more mod potential and less concern that you are trashing your lux car.

MATt
Old 10-11-2003, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your responses folks. What about the reliability of the turbo unit in the STi. Will regular driving and moderate abuse blow the turbo unit before it's time?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:53 PM

If you are Lucky it will blow before its time, then you have subaru cover the labor on installing you new bigger turbo. people were doing this with their Audi s2's too.

But seriously, a turbo timer for 70.00 will prevent this from happening, it was my first mod, and the dealer will do it for you.

MAtt
Old 10-11-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by CG
I'll go along with pierceman. Subaru puts on some big Subaru only type autocross events. I have never heard of a Subbie not going home from one of these events under it's own power. In a couple of weeks I'll be driving a modded WRX several hundred miles to an event. I'm not in the least bit worried about it not bringing me back home.
Have fun at that event, man! I had my car at the Richmond event just a few weeks ago. There's a picture of it in the photo gallery if you're interested.

Anyway, I just wanted to note that my Impreza, I have a Cusco 21-22-23 set on 22 and it gives me very neutral handling. When set on 23, it gives me just the right amount of oversteer. The "Subaru understeer problem" is fixable with a $150 bar and 30 minutes of your time.

-Matt

PS - The only problems I've had with my Subaru is that it randomly shuts off. However, the source of the problem was found just a few weeks ago: My knee kept hitting the key in the ignition! In short, Subarus are reliable.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:54 AM

I also have the Cusco swaybar set along with Zero 2Rs. It works really well, I can change the understeer/oversteer easily with good range. I also found that when I replaced the plastic swaybar links, it made the transition more immediate and improved the feel quite a bit. It was worth the $100 for the Kartboy kit.

Terry
Old 10-12-2003, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fuse
I've had my WRX for almost 2 years now...and it has taken my abuse trouble free.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
Old 10-12-2003, 08:49 AM

Also, the STi 6 speed is rock solid compared to the WRX/RS 5 speed.

-Matt
Old 10-12-2003, 10:01 AM

I'm also coming from Hondaland and contemplating the puchase of an STi. Presumed reliability is one of the major reasons I favor it over the Evo... that may or may not be valid.

One of my concerns about either car is the turbo. Does anyone have any thoughts about intrinsic problems with factory turbos? I would expect a factory-tuned turbo setup to have a much longer life than an aftermarket kit; but I'm not anticipating that it will go 1/4M miles.

The STi sure is a fun car to drive!

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX/STi reliability