Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru STi Intercooler spray????

Old 01-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru STi Intercooler spray????

Ok I was looking at Subaru's site yesterday and I wasn't positive if the Subaru STi really had this or not, but then I read this and now I know it does. Here's what it says:

Engine Type: Horizontally opposed 4-cylinder intercooled high-boost turbo with die-cast aluminum-alloy block and aluminum-alloy cylinder heads. Intercooler has driver-controlled manual water spray cooler with low-fluid indicator.

Now this intercooler spray thing, I'm guessing its for it to cool the intercooler obviously, but why? I mean is it mandatory or what? What type of effect does it have on the intercooler and what happen's if the driver doesn't use it? The Lancer Evolution has the same thing... anybody know...?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 PM

it sprays the ic with cold water, thus cooling the air inside it even more. colder air is more dense, so the colder the presurized air is, the more you can cram into the engine.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cfusionpm
it sprays the ic with cold water, thus cooling the air inside it even more.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

my evo has this function too, but i have not noticed any real difference...... i have only tried it about 2-3 times and thought it was a little gimicky... (just one more thing to break).

I will try spraying right before I drag race in about 2 months and see how if it gets me some better times.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:01 PM

it's computer controlled on/off butoon or something manual?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:38 PM

Manual, although I did not see this button in the cars at auto shows.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Evo gets auto/manaul spray, and the STI gets manual only spray. The spray button on the STI is to the lower left of the steering wheel next to the headlight level adj. button.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:33 PM

The intercooler spray is useful, but typically only when the outside ambient temp is very high, or when the motor is heat soaked for whatever reason.

If you're just trolling down the highway at 70 on a 60 degree day and activate the spray, it isn't gonna do much for you.

However, if you've been sitting in traffic on your way to the drags on a 100 degree day, it'll definitely be noticeable.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 PM

Even though I strongly think this IC sprayer thing is bullshit, have owners experimented with using rubbing alcohol instead of water, or will that cause too much damage to the rubber lines/parts?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i remember reading someone was going to try liquid nitrogen or something goofy like that.... apparently a few drops in water turns it very cold..???

Originally posted by JoeD
Even though I strongly think this IC sprayer thing is bullshit, have owners experimented with using rubbing alcohol instead of water, or will that cause too much damage to the rubber lines/parts?

I never wanted to turn mine on at the track for fear of it dumping shit on the track.... just what someone needs as they threshold brake at 120mph is to hit my stream of washer fluid...... I have no idea how much comes out, etc..... but I didn't feel it was worth anything........

Quick Reply: Subaru STi Intercooler spray????