Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru BRZ STI to debut in New York

Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1427897990' post='23562524
no turbo...no care
My sentiment as well. I'm amazed at the company that is known for turbo charged boxers is not applying that design to their SPORTS car.
Thats what i think is compounding it. If it was honda doing this to the civic SI, it wouldnt be a big deal because honda isnt known for turbocharged engines like subaru is. Especially when they say "this is the better version of our sports car, but it's still not our signature motor style"
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know about you guys but i'd much rather have a powerful, high revving Naturally Aspirated engine. Instant throttle response and less shit to break.

If you want turbo charged it's not hard.... It wont take long for the Aftermarket world to catch up and develop a bolt on turbo kit.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys.... I thought of something. Its april fools day. Last year they spoofed that the twins weren't going to continue production.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Guys.... I thought of something. Its april fools day. Last year they spoofed that the twins weren't going to continue production.
This is not some elaborate April fools hoax, the New York Autoshow started today, and this vehicle (along with several others posted today) were unveiled there.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/s...new-york-2015/

That being said, Autoblog is now reporting that the concept car IS turbocharged:

The Performance Concept sends a tangible message about the motorsports heritage and engineering capability of Subaru Tecnica International. STI started life as the motorsports arm of Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries. Appropriately, the concept car uses a racing powerplant. Under the hood is the same turbocharged, 2.0-liter boxer-four that powers the BRZ GT300 from Japan's Super GT series, estimated at around 300 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang

This is not some elaborate April fools hoax, the New York Autoshow started today, and this vehicle (along with several others posted today) were unveiled there.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/s...new-york-2015/

That being said, Autoblog is now reporting that the concept car IS turbocharged:
Ah, the school blocked everything I tried to find on it. Had a chance now. That's freaking cool.

If its the same weight, one wouldn't need to try to get more power. 300hp is a nice power to weight ratio. I'd love an NA motor though
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another "concept" yawn. BRZ owners must be getting tired of being teased.

Looks nice though and would be a fun car.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

So is it turboed or what?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

There is a Subaru made somewhere that is something like a BRZ, track-only and has a 2.0 turbocharged power plant .

I think the real reason Subaru has never offered this car with a turbo is because it would poach sales from WRX's/STI's.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I think the real reason Subaru has never offered this car with a turbo is because it would poach sales from WRX's/STI's.
Maybe... but if they priced it accordingly, it wouldn't matter. Subaru would make money either way.

Plus... there is still significant differentiation in the 2-door RWD vs 4-door AWD platform

Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I agree, granted there may be some cannibalization, I doubt there will be much. Those who want an awd hatch/sedan won't settle for an expensive, small rwd coupe. I for one would love a factory turbo 86, but I could only imagine what it would cost to get one. Fortunately, there really isn't anything that gets me hot and bothered for 30-50K minus the mustang, but a turbo 86 probably won't be that fast out the box, will void the warranty immediately to get it fast, and will probably go kaboom when you drive it aggressively (I'm not a believer in subaru durability these days).
This car should have came with a a turbo motor as the base motor to keep costs down and reasonable. Consider the the mustang and gen coupe offer a turbo I4 for the mid 20s, could you imagine the fanfare if this car came with a 250+hp I4 turbo motor for mid 20s? It'd probably be sitting in my garage right now if they did.

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ STI to debut in New York