Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru 216A (subaru version of FT-86) confirmed!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope they make it....
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I really.. really.. REALLY dont want AWD is my sports coupe.

But also, coming from an N/A S2K, it would be nice to be able to make more power, much more easily. So it would be nice to have turbo

If toyota makes it w/ turbo, im toyota all day long

If toyota makes it N/A and RWD, with Subie making it Turbo and AWD... I have no idea what'd i'd do.
I may just take the toyota anyways and just get used to getting sh*tted on by the subies
Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Nov 2 2009, 10:26 PM
We can do just that, problem is it'll cost too much. You see manufacturers introducing better alloys, more advanced techniques, etc etc, but it's gradual because they need to figure out ways to make it cost effective. And in the case with sportscars that ultimately need more power, more power=more weight, it's plain and simple. You couple all that with all the R&D necessary to meet every increasing emission requirements and it becomes quite a cost game.
You missed my point. Which is that with PROGRESS, with advanced design and analysis tools, with advanced construction techniques, and with advanced engine design and management, you can make cars stronger with less weight, more powerful with smaller/lighter engines, and you can build them CHEAPER.

Note that "more advanced" doesn't mean "more expensive". Quite the opposite! More advanced means BETTER, but CHEAPER to build.

The PROBLEM is that all those advances were used to give us MUCH bigger/heavier/more-luxurious cars, with improved power/weight (power gains have outpaced weight gain), for the same price point, rather than giving us lighter-weight, less-luxurious cars with even greater improvement in power/weight, for LESS money.

The market has demanded bigger/heavier/way-more-powerful/same price.
Unfortunately, that's not exactly what I had in mind. I wanted smaller/lighter-weight/slightly-more-powerful/*cheaper*.

Where the market (apparently) wanted a 3300 lb. 350Z/370Z with 287/330hp with 17"-19" wheels, I'd have preferred a smaller/lighter-weight ~2800 lb. (or less) 250Z with ~225-250hp and 16" wheels. Which would've been cheaper.

Your point on power vs. weight is kinda backwards. What today's sports cars *need* is NOT "more power", but rather "less weight". And anyway "more power" isn't what has brought us increased weight. Larger cars with more amenities/features and reduced NVH is where most of the weight has come from.

But basically, the public has been (wrongly) led to spend as much as they possibly can (more even!) on their cars (and homes), which has led to automobiles becoming rather outsized and heavy. And less FUN.

Smaller/simpler/cheaper/lighter!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Oct 30 2009, 09:23 AM
Have you even seen the interior of the latest Subarus? Plastic on the interior is nice, seats are immensely comfortable (best seats I've had in any car including Honda/Acura), stock radio isn't bad (yes they all come with one) and Nav is optional. Your stereotype = the fail
Its not a sterotype. Are you telling me that Subaru hasn't sold a "top of the line" sports car with crappy plastics, no radio, cloth seats, hot pink decals, and lots of ground clearance? Yes, they may have gotten better in the last couple of years, but that doesn't mean that I am wrong for pointing out that they have done it in the recent past. It was a humorous post. relax fanboi.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kremlin,Oct 29 2009, 09:36 AM
Try crashing both cars into a brick wall at 30mph and I'm sure the reason for the weight will become very apparent.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Nov 3 2009, 04:56 AM
Note that "more advanced" doesn't mean "more expensive". Quite the opposite! More advanced means BETTER, but CHEAPER to build.
This must be why everything is built in China!!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Looks like the whole car is just a G37 photoshopped.

if anything id expect the 2.5 SOHC wrx drivetrain in this car vs. the 2.5 DOHC from the STI.... mostly because of cost. they can get good performance out of the wrx motor, why jack the tag another few thousand dollars for an extra advertised tenth from 0-60?

im sure they are more interesting in selling a higher volume of lower performance vehicles, than a smaller number of higher performance vehicles with the same profit margin
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo RWD version would be the win.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

turbo rwd, sign me up...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Zdan, you've missed my point entirely on the power=weight. I'm saying that cars are getting heavier, and to keep them competitive, manufacturers are giving them more power. But more power=more weight as well. Let me explain more, if your engine produces more torque, beefier internals are needed to handle that power. More power means the chassis needs to be able to support it, meaning more bracing, then the brakes, etc etc. In the end, you have a heavier car. Best example would be taking a miata and dropping in a blown 600hp v8 into it.
Now, more advance techniques and materials= higher cost until the economies of scale begin to play in. Every manufacturer knows that carbon fiber, magnesium, and titanium are great lightweight substitutes for steel, but cost is the issue. Then there's that bonding method lotus uses on the elise chassis to save weight, light yes, but it's also expensive and not quite proven... and imagine getting t boned and your car needing a new centerpillar or quarterpanel.
And I wouldnt say consumers necessarily want heavy, if they could get a tank's protection in a miata, they;d take it, problem is size in that regard matters. Consumer of all types want light, I mean why not? Light=higher mpg=less wear on components=less maitenance=more user friendly=etc. But it comes at the cost of money.
So take the hachi roku example, that's a 2+2 hatchback that weighs just around 2000lbs that a highschooler working at mcdonalds could buy new. Today, a fiberglass, bonded chassis, 2 seat, stripped down, all aluminum 40K toy elise weighs about the same. So either lotus was asleep at the wheel or toyota really had some black magic back in the 80s. And the elise didnt have to pash US crash regulations.
Now consider the miata, na to the nc, the nc over the nb weight wise is almost negligble from what people been saying, but compare it to the NAs. But then see the level of refinement and safety you have now, it's leap years ahead.
I'm with you though, I'd like a lightweight sport coupe over a higher dollar, heavier, more powerful sport coupe. But let's put it in perspective, closest thing from the past we're describing is the silvia/180sx, both of which weighed about 2600lbs without things like airbags, which grew to a little north of 2700 in the s14 which was a mildly updated s13 chassis but met its requirements at the time. The hachi is an unfair comparison namely because it didnt come with a beefy powerplant designed for 400 crank hp like how nissan's sr20det was.
Only other car to really accomplish better was the rx7.

Quick Reply: Subaru 216A (subaru version of FT-86) confirmed!