Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

STI or s2000?

Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thought about it, and and they are pretty pimp, but they are unreliable just like the corvette is. I heard an intake, the simplest of all mods, is like 650 bucks!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 AM

i dont think STI was built for economy car. it was built for rallys and racing. lol what kind of economy car cost 30k with 18 mpg or less.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:54 AM

OO I didn't even notice the transition from STi -> STI. I would say STI since you had an S before.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by USCGS2k,Nov 17 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm driving a 2000 Corvette right now. It's fast as hell, but I hate it. I used to have an s2000, before that a WRX. I enjoyed the s2000 the most, it responds much better than the corvette, and its transmission is not clunky like the vette. The STI has mad tuning to be done and a lot of power to get without spending loads of money. I know in the s2000 to get any real power at all for a decent price you got to supercharge. The vette will completely blow the doors off of either one stock, but I'm trying to sell it and get an STI or another s2000. What do you all think?
I've owned all three, however, the Corvette was a MY95. I recently sold my '05 STi and purchased the '06 S2000. Why did I do this? The simple answer is real-wheel-drive and fun factor. I spend a good amount of time on the local road courses and I try to make a track event or two, every month.

The Subaru is absolutely bulletproof. I cannot begin to tell you how tough and reliable the STi is. The STi was devastating on the race track. The car could carry unbelievable speed through the corners, at corner exit and had good power for the straights. The AWD gave me great confidence that I had not had in any previous sports cars and allowed me to clock good lap times. However, I felt that this car was not challenging, nor did it improving my driving skills.......the STi does everything for you and covers up mistakes very well. The car made me look like a better driver than I am and over-confidence is not a good thing. In addition, I did not feel the car was as fun on the track as my previous cars.

If you decide on the STi and spend any time on the race track keep in mind that you will be shelling out alot of money for tires and brake pads. Both my Toyo RA1's and front brake pads would wear out every three track events. My biggest issues with the STi were; the crappy seats (replaced with Bride Zetta III's), terrible radio, and super thin paint (I actually had to purchase a second tube of touch-up paint, a first for me......in 18 months of ownership). Other than that, the car was awesome and deserved a longer stay in my garage.

So far, I'm really happy with the Honda. I have attended two track events with just 2,200 miles on the odo. The car was definitely designed and engineered to be driven on the track. I was surprised at how comfortable the S is on the race track, it feels like it belongs there (the STi did too, but the there is more attention to detail in the S). The transmission and pedal placement make each gear change perfect, I have not missed one down shift yet. Most importantly the car is a blast to drive on and off the track. I don't miss the STi at all.

Many will disagree, but I feel the S2000 needs more power in the low rpm range and I plan on purchasing one of the "roots" style superchargers when they are released for my model year. I have had a long history of V8 powered muscle and sports cars and I like having the extra punch in the low end. I was extremely happy with the performance of my old BRP supercharged '03 Miata, the roots supercharger converted the tame car into a well rounded sports car. I purchased the S2000 because I missed the fun and performance of the FI'd Miata.

I won't tell you which one to buy, but you really can't go wrong with either choice.

Mike
Old 11-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you have owned both before and you are still having to ask us here (on a S2000 site), I would say buy the STI.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 PM

Not really a valid comparison. One is N/A, one is turbo. One is 2door, other is 4door. One is RWD one is AWD. Go with what is more practical for what your goals or intentions are for the car.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

obviously the most common answer would likely be the s2k because you are in a s2k forum, but good question. If i didnt live in Canada i would Choose EVO over both. Overall I'd go for the sexy yellow s2k.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Nov 17 2006, 04:44 PM
STI = disconnected from the road and slow reflexes

S2000= razor sharp turn in and you are much more in tune with what the car is doing
i don't think they are that's disconnected, come on, it still beats 90% of the car in the price range stock.

there's lot of assumption and myths to the STi, to say the least, both are great great cars, drive both before making the purchase.

look for the Evo if you like what you got in the Sti also, ugly, yes, cheap interior, yes but nothing squeeze more juice for that price.

but if i have to do it all over again, new/stock, i'll pick up an/a evo/sti
Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 AM

I have not owned an Sti or driven one, but I did own an Evo 8 so I can speak about how easy it is to get an extra 100 hp out of those cars. They are definitely teo different cars as most have stated. There is a fun factor with rear wheel drive. I had never owned a rwd car until my 06 350Z and now I have an 06 GTO. I don't think I can go back to awd or fwd now.
Nothing like hanging the tail out there around a curve.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rdrcr,Nov 18 2006, 12:54 PM
Many will disagree, but I feel the S2000 needs more power in the low rpm range and I plan on purchasing one of the "roots" style superchargers when they are released for my model year. I have had a long history of V8 powered muscle and sports cars and I like having the extra punch in the low end. I was extremely happy with the performance of my old BRP supercharged '03 Miata, the roots supercharger converted the tame car into a well rounded sports car. I purchased the S2000 because I missed the fun and performance of the FI'd Miata.

I won't tell you which one to buy, but you really can't go wrong with either choice.

Mike
Ummm...you think members on a car enthusiasts' forum will disagree with more power? One of the main reasons why people get gears is to take care of that exact problem--no torque down low.

USCGS2k - The choice is simple. If this will be your only car, get the STi or EVO. If it will be a weekend/track car, then the S2000. DONE.

Quick Reply: STI or s2000?