Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sti/Evo vs S2k

Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=20aeman,Oct 2 2010, 11:18 PM] Well, a parking lot with cones is a low speed simulation of a "real" racetrack.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Oct 2 2010, 11:39 PM
Ummm... sort of I guess.. but they're two entirely different beasts. You don't get nearly up to speed, or have the straightaways like a "real" track, which allow more powerful yet lesser handling cars catch up and/or pass. Furthermore, my point was that.... how is AutoX not indicative of "real world handling"? If anything it's emphasis is on driver technique and handling, and really nullifies a cars "power".

I guess real world handling then, is indicated by public roads.... then a Toyota Echo passes the test just fine, so why need more? If that's not what you meant then... I have no idea what Chris S meant, because AutoX occurs in the real world. Lastly, everything that I've ever seen shows a stock s2000 eat a stock evo/STi in the corners, that's where it nullifies those cars. How else would it keep up with and/or pass a car with more hp, awd, and a faster powerband?
An autocross car is setup with quick reflexes, the ability to change direction quickly and with little effort. This translates to instability at higher speeds.

A good autocross car does not make a good road race car and vice versa.

The autocross plays to an s2000's merits. Which is fine, but that advantage doesn't automatically apply itself to the real work, or other forms of racing for that matter.

And as far as a stock s2000 "eating" an Evo, your evidence is anecdotal at best.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Excuse my flamboyant adverbs, I'm tired and trying to entertain only myself.

Obviously different styles of driving, require different types of setups, and utilize different methods especially in the suspension area. The OP however asked, which car Handles better. In any area where handling is key, the s2000 will shine in comparison. Whether it's a faster car or not is a different story altogether, and I would most likely give that to an STi/Evo.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 AM

No, handling is purely subjective. Whether one car "handles" better than the next is a matter of driver preference.

For example, I like cars with steering feel. I will gladly sacrifice agility for stability. I prefer a very mild understeer at the limit.

To me, an M3 handles "better" than the S2000. Because it better meets my expectations of what I feel to be "good handling".

And the definition of "good handling" is different with each person. Someone can have completely opposite preferences, where they would be under the impression that the S2000 handles better. No party is wrong.

Except for *maybe* the slower party.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 AM

Fair enough

Leaving subjection in the matter creates a world of problems then. I guess someone could subjectively say a Prius handles better than say, an Elise then? I see what you're saying, but I'm trying to remove as many variables as possible. Given the difference in power performance, and similar say... nurburgring lap times, it would leave one to assume that where the s2000 lacks in power, it makes up in handling and vice versa. I'd be a fool to try and argue a subjective argument, though as it is.... subjective.

Although from driving both, I'd be hard-pressed to imagine the front-lift induced understeer as being "appealing" but to each their own
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not often I need to pirouette my car around a cone on the road, and never on track. Auto-x courses typically demand extreme directional changes @ low speeds, and ideal setups are different than for roads or road courses. Nothing wrong with autocross if that's what floats your boat, but it's not necessarily indicative of how well your car will perform beyond the parking lot.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 AM

for using pirouette in a sentence
Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Oct 3 2010, 08:39 AM
for using pirouette in a sentence
for Chris wearing a tutu when he wrote that.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an S2000 for 5 years and an evo for 4 until I wadded it up at infineon a couple of months ago.
http://carwoo.com/blog/carwoo-founder-car-...g-day-accident/

From the beginning the evo understeered more then the s2000, but a large bar in the back fixed it for the most part. The evo's steering feel was light years better then the s2000, but the understeer never really went away. It just took more for it to rear it's ugly head. Ultimately, this helped lead to me being 'wheels-deficient' at the moment.

The evo's limits were higher and it makes you feel like you can do anything, but the at the limit understeer is less then optimal. I think the sti is probably worse (more understeer), but I have never driven one for more then a few minutes.

Next time you should search though. If you post on an old evo/sti vs s2000 thread it goes to the top and anyone who has new info (like i do) can just add to the thread and then everyone who has this question can read all the info in one place. Now we have about 500 of these stupid threads to comb through to find anything worthwhile.

kthxbye
Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9wvKyZa34 [/media]

Quick Reply: Sti/Evo vs S2k