Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is the STI that bad?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ This is one of the issues with buying high performance for only a few dollars. The evo is not supported well by Mits at all. I know a guy that works as a service tech for mits on evos. They gave him a whole class on how to spot anything that would allow them to void an evo warranty. Stupid things like after market BOVs were said to void entire warranties. They would try to use suspension mods to void engine warranty work.

I bought my evo knowing that if something breaks I will most likely have to fix it. We have a great Evo community up here that will do great work, for low prices...so that made me feel better about buying a car with pretty much no warranty.

My buddy has a subaru and our local subaru dealership is great. He lost parts of his tranny 2 times in his WRX and they gave him no hassle at all. A lot of other WRX owners weren't as lucky.

These cars are full of technology and cheap. If you need to have the warranty to be able to afford the car make sure you know what your dealership networks are like before changing the car.

edit: my comment on 'affording the car' was a shot at anyone on this thread. I just said it to make sure people understand that these cars can be very expensive to fix and the dealerships and factory support can be a real crap shoot. The good news is that they are pretty reliable in general, IMO.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I understand the point you are trying to make about modified cars, but I was making a point about a company that will not fix a drivability issue on a stock car a few months into warranty. Or a company that says buy our in house performance products that don't void your warranty and then voiding it when you have the same drivability issue.

There is some internet theory about what causes this stutter problem and if you do a couple searches you will find lots of information that it is common on all subie turbo models. The supposed inside information theory (take this with a ton of salt) is that Subaru is well aware of the problem (they have many reflashes for it even though it offically does not exist) but they made the decision to go forward with a faulty fuel map because to fix it would lose ULEV certification. What no one seems to figure out is that the problem goes from servere, to mild to no problem at all depending on the car. Most cars have a little stutter, some have none at all. But Subaru is fine selling it and pretending it does not exist.

If you drove my car and floored it, you would think it is broken or a piece of crap. When the techs ride with me they think it is broken, the Subaru corporate types say "Normal Operation, live with it."

My point is if someone asked me "Evo or Sti?" I would say I have no experience with Mitsu trying to screw me and have had good luck with Mitsu products I have owned, but I do have experience with Subaru trying to screw me and would not buy one again, especially a turbo model. Fool me once.

If you want to spend $40, mod the hell out of it and expect NOTHING EVER in the way of Subaru backing the product, then by all means buy one. All companies sell the occasional lemon, it could happen with a mitsu too, but I won't buy any more subarus. My dealer has been GREAT, its corporate thats the problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jan 17 2008, 09:47 AM

If you want to spend $40, mod the hell out of it and expect NOTHING EVER in the way of Subaru backing the product, then by all means buy one. All companies sell the occasional lemon, it could happen with a mitsu too, but I won't buy any more subarus. My dealer has been GREAT, its corporate thats the problem.
I agree with what you have said, but Mits as a policy tries to not back real problems like your boost stutter by saying things like boost gauges void all warranties, not after you have changed out the turbo to a GT35.

It's all good info to know. I wouldn't say Mits really stands behind the evo. They may do a good job with other cars, but they don't do a good job with the evo, IMO. I know it's partially dealing with the typical evo and suby owners too!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's less than a sec difference between the 1st and 4th place. Yea like you can repeat the course with exact same times, everytime. You won't notice the difference on the streets. It's not to say the car is worth $40k, I actually hate the STi new looks (or old).
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=vader1,Jan 17 2008, 11:45 AM] Someone on the Legacy board brought his car in to try to fix the stutter and they voided his warranty for installing a SUBARU performance intake.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Jan 17 2008, 04:23 PM
This sounds like a review of a shitty dealership instead of Subaru. No one "voids" a warranty. I doubt he would have issues getting his window fixed because of an intake. My dealer won't "void" my warranty because of my self installed SPT intake.

As for Mitsu in a warranty discussion: I've never heard of a company actively going to HPDE to determine which cars are involved to deny future warranty claims.
Yeah, Mits won't 'void' your warranty for a window if you have an intake, but the guy I know who is tech was given a class on things to look for to not have to warranty engine work. I guarantee you a intake was enough to not fix a blown motor. This wasn't coming from the dealership this was coming from the mother ship. Even if they did decide to fix your car the fact the automaker is doing things like you are talking about going to auto-x or HPDEs to look for people who want warranty work or training their techs to look for reasons to not do warranty work doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. I found out most of this after buying my car, but I knew that overall my warranty was probably shit. I have been operating under that assumption for a year and half now.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

There is some internet theory about what causes this stutter problem and if you do a couple searches you will find lots of information that it is common on all subie turbo models
Not all models have the issue. 07+ Sti's do. And guess what you can fix the problem for 80 bucks and 5 minutes of your time. My guess is the solution, albeit outside of Subuaru is similar in your situation.

My downpipe came today. It and a tune should put me around 290-300 at all wheels. Not bad for 32k and 600 in parts.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Jan 17 2008, 04:23 PM
No one "voids" a warranty.
O RLY?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM

I just read Sport Compact Car and they said that installing a 3" exhaust is doing to be a tight fit, hang low and hard.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jan 17 2008, 12:47 PM
There is some internet theory about what causes this stutter problem and if you do a couple searches you will find lots of information that it is common on all subie turbo models.
Umm, no.
Either in stock form or "stg2" no "stutter" from either mine (06 w/38K) or my brother's sti(05 w/45K+). Both sti's are on ots cobb maps, albeit a bit rich.

Try not to mislead others by stating an *absolute* where you have no data points correlating statement.
Jxn

Quick Reply: Is the STI that bad?