Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is the STI that bad?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper,Jan 16 2008, 03:45 PM
The only gripe I have with the older impreza bodies is they are made from tinfoil.
However...they were way lighter than the new '08 WRX's.
So, would you like a light, flexy, car with 300hp or heavy stiff car with 300hp?

I have a little experience in the construction of impreza's and from what I've seen...they need help in structural integrity.

Damn what the hell?!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM

The new evo looks fairly terrible but the new STI looks [i]awful[i/]. The STI is a fast machine and it's turbo, just like the last one, so with a reflash you are going to increase power substantially. I'm starting to wonder if the MR/STI group has peaked in terms of bang for the buck at this point. I could stomach the old sti's/evo's and they actually look fantastic against the newer models, all IMO of course.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do love how busting a picture up somehow makes someone an expert regarding stiffness.

Newsflash; the STi has been stiffened over the base cars a number of times through the years. That is in fact a non argument. Not sure why I even bothered to respond to such bullshit.

Regarding this entire thread -- you are basing your (stupid) topic on an Edmunds.com article. Seriously -- that should be enough to punt this worthless piece of shit to the back page. For whatever reason (read speculative 1 series wanna be owners) it is not.

Wanna compare Japanese spec 2.0 liter cars to the American iterations? Hell I say go for it. The only problem is many of the people here don't even know what they are comparing. Thus you end up with an endless debate of stupidity.

The reality is the EVO is a nice car; any generation. The only fault the car continues to carry is the fact that Mitsubishi makes it. As for the whole Sti bit:

1. Let us get this out of the way for anyone looking to buy the cheapskate BMW. The 1 series does in fact not compete with either the EVO or Sti. They are AWD 4 door vehicles with real parts (differentials) not psuedo brand made vehicles down marketed with inferior parts for the masses. The fact that every review of the 1 series thus far has indicated an underwhelming understeering pig with a fake rear diff would you think be enough to silence many of the fanboys. Oddly this is not the case on this board -- given the past hatred of anything Honda I must say I am shocked; I see a lot of potential owners due for a lot of dissapointment. Horsepower is in fact not everything and as a 118D owner since 2005 I'm here to tell you it is a great car; but it has issues.

2. The American dollar is worth shit. The fact that you can get a base version of either the STi or EVO for about the same money as before is a blessing. Any company with half a brain is going to raise the prices to account for the falling dollar. Sooner or later everyone is going to take this tack.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM

breakiing an embargo here LOL
car and driver results
1) EVO
2) STI
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as the numbers posted by the op, I hardly call a ~1 second difference bad by any means. In fact, 1 second is probably due to human error more then anything else as its less then a 1% difference.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Sweeper,Jan 16 2008, 03:45 PM] The only gripe I have with the older impreza bodies is they are made from tinfoil.
However...they were way lighter than the new '08 WRX's.
So, would you like a light, flexy, car with 300hp or heavy stiff car with 300hp?

I have a little experience in the construction of impreza's and from what I've seen...they need help in structural integrity.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 AM

wow...so I hear it both ways, in the video posted above the sti wins out, but in the other things i read the evo is better....???

Is this because the JDM STI is hugely faster than the USDM one, and also better than the JDM Evo X?

Do I get it now?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg,Jan 17 2008, 02:00 AM
200% agreed. it's the only (and quite major) complaint i have about my car...but worry not a roll cage is going in, i just need rear seat passengers to wear helmets or wrap the entire bar with heavy duty foams...wouldn't want brain matters all over my car in case things go south...

GC chassis though much less rigid, is much lighter and feels more neutral (less tendency to understeer) than the GD...there's pluses and minuses for everything; at least the light weight means i'd never have to make as much power to be as quick as the newer chassis.

were you seam welding the damn chassis? unless you're a pro it's an 80-100 hr job...
So this is an issue with pre-08 model sti's? It never really crossed my mind that the base of a rally bred car would lie a flimsy frame. I asked this ? over on IWSTI.com (forums) and they told me the chassis was very stiff but didnt back it up with any facts.

I guess there is some type of way you can measure the rigidity of a chassis.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 AM

I don't how its relevant to compare the 08 Impreza to a GC that's 2 generations ago. Yes, it's heavier than its variant designed 18 years ago . The GD was a 5 star crash rated car and to it's credit the 08 is only about 60lbs heavier than the car it actually replaces, which is quite an achievement considering that we are in an era where all cars are getting much heavier thanks in part to ever more stringent safety regs.

The S2000 is quite a porker compared to the S600, but I guess it's a little stiffer
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Drive an STi with what is known as boost "stutter" and see if you want one. It is not hard to find people complaining about it on Subaru boards. Subaru denies the problem exists but offers different ECU reflashes to fix the non-existant problem.

The customer service really sucks. They will tell the thousands of people who call to complain about the problem that they have never heard of such a thing. And the reflash loses HP.

If considering, buy the Evo. I have the stutter on my 2.5 outback turbo which was mostly cured by a reflash, but at a loss of hp and huge dip in gas milage. A COBB AP will fix the problem, but why should customers who drop $30-$40 on a car be treated like crap by Subaru. The dealer has been great in trying to help, but the company has been a major PITA.

I can not recommend them. Especially if you buy one to drive it hard knowing that they have been no help with the 1 problem I have had on a freaking station wagon. Someone on the Legacy board brought his car in to try to fix the stutter and they voided his warranty for installing a SUBARU performance intake. The subaru intake is supposed to be covered under warranty but he installed it and not the dealer so they voided his warranty to make him go away.

I would say do not spend $40k and cross your fingers that you do not have warranty issues.

Despite my problems I am keeping my Outback and probably going the cobb route, but will never buy one again. I have had better relations with Honda covering things out of warranty on a car I bought second hand than one I bought new from subaru and was less than 6 into warranty.

Quick Reply: Is the STI that bad?