Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is the STI that bad?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically it is status quo. Evo is just a little edgier and quicker on a track, STi has more grunt and offers more as a normal car.

I will give edmunds credit for ranking the car with the "worst "performance numbers in 1st place, that is a refreshing poke in the eye to the mag racers.

For my $35k the STi is still the car that is holding my attention because I would love to have it's blend of practicality and performance. Seems like unless you drive it back-to-back with an Evo you will never miss what it gives away.

...or should I say I would never miss it, the same can't be said of the Car Talk forum who all drive at maximum attack all the time...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jan 16 2008, 06:01 AM
So basically it is status quo. Evo is just a little edgier and quicker on a track, STi has more grunt and offers more as a normal car.

I will give edmunds credit for ranking the car with the "worst "performance numbers in 1st place, that is a refreshing poke in the eye to the mag racers.

For my $35k the STi is still the car that is holding my attention because I would love to have it's blend of practicality and performance. Seems like unless you drive it back-to-back with an Evo you will never miss what it gives away.

...or should I say I would never miss it, the same can't be said of the Car Talk forum who all drive at maximum attack all the time...
+1 I'm planning on getting one unless a drive in the EVO X changes my mind. I need to think about how comfortable the driving position is in each car as well.

Yup, that was a track test in Edmunds. I'm not looking at both of these cars for a track car. It'll do DD duty and some twisties on the weekend. If I wanted a track car I'd buy something with only 2 doors.

The main points for me are....
The EVO has comfort access available, and a kickass stereo system but no telescoping steering column, also the seats don't have the height adjustment available. They are Recaros. Their MR keeps having problems, don't like reading that.

The Sti has better functionality, and I love the Boxer Engine over the inline 4. It doesn't have the cool options like the Evo does, and the stereo is lame and not worthy of a penny, wish it came without a stereo altogether. I feel better about the Suby in the reliability department and long term. I can't wait to sit in one, dealership is going to call as soon as they have a few in unsold.

I mention these points because the performance of either is plenty for me. I want AWD, these 2 cars are my choices, and the speed and handling is more than sufficient for me either way. I'd be happy with either one, just want to get the one that fits me the best, and pre-drive that is the Sti. Those laptimes are so close that any difference on the street is not going to be a big deal to me either way. Invoice pricing is all I'm going to pay anyway
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM

What do you mean by "is the sti that bad?" It's a couple 10th's of a second slower than an evo in this particular test.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only + on the track for the last series STI was the weight distribution compared to the evo. This time it's got the power/weight too. That didn't seem to help much. If you aren't going to have it on a track it doesn't really matter much. It's a few tenths slower then the X, but almost a second slower then IX...which is a bit, but there are a lot of factors so who knows. I drove both the IX and last gen STI when I was buying and that made my decision very easy, but the evo isn't for everyone.

edit: to answer your question onehot the sti isn't bad at all. the evo IX is just totally awesome! j/k
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM

I dunno. the new STi have been gaining 40whp from just a reflash!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is both of them look better than 1 series.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Jan 16 2008, 10:40 AM
All I know is both of them look better than 1 series.
You are trying to light a fire with a certain member of these parts
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Jan 16 2008, 09:56 AM
I dunno. the new STi have been gaining 40whp from just a reflash!!!
if my motor ever blows i'm swapping a new STi motor in
Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg,Jan 16 2008, 01:07 PM
if my motor ever blows i'm swapping a new STi motor in
The only gripe I have with the older impreza bodies is they are made from tinfoil.
However...they were way lighter than the new '08 WRX's.
So, would you like a light, flexy, car with 300hp or heavy stiff car with 300hp?

I have a little experience in the construction of impreza's and from what I've seen...they need help in structural integrity.

Quick Reply: Is the STI that bad?