Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

states and provinces that require front licence plates

Old 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default states and provinces that require front licence plates

Does your state or province require a front plate? I live in New Brunswick Canada, and our province requires them. It kinda sucks,really takes away from the looks of our cars. I have been taken the chance with the S2K, only got stopped once, officer didn't notice. 84 dollar fine here.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Virginia requires them. I used to leave the front one off, and for years only got warnings. But then ran out of luck, and twice got fined like $50. Now I use the plate. It's become invisible to me, so no big deal.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been running my S for a year now with no plate, cops seem to over look the s2k vs my other cars..lol
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM

they require them here (california), but ive never had one. My license plate sits in the little slot behind the seat just in case, but no cop has yet to care. knock on wood.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Got pulled over here in OR for going a little to fast, i kind of knew the cop from highschool so no ticket... But he said make sure you get that front plate "visibly mounted" so i'd argue that sticking it in the right hand corner of the front windsheild is mounted....
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM

I spent most of my life living in New Jersey that requires them, but that was before I ever owned any modern valuable sports cars. When I moved to Pennsylvania, it was nice not needing them anymore. If I ever moved where one was required, I'd not bother using one, and try and get away without needing it, because I can't imagine one on my S now, and it would bother me too much. if the tickets started piling up, I'd cave and put it on.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Texas requires them. I've driven my S for 6 1/2 years without one and have never been pulled over for not having it. The city I live in even said they were going to crack down a couple of months ago on people without them. A week later I drove down one of our busiest streets for about 3 miles and counted 23 vehicles without them. The front is too prety to screw up with an ugly plate.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 AM

No front plates here in PA. But it really stinks that all the surrounding states require them though because if you are buying a used car from NJ, NY, MD, etc, you pretty much know the front bumper is going to have been ruined from the plate mounting. My S2000 is originally from NJ, and I nearly cried when I saw the gashed, scratched up condition of the front bumper paint when I first removed that awful black plastic front plate holder. I ended up getting the whole front bumper repainted to fix it.

Andrew
Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Required in MN.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:36 PM

The New Brunswick Corvette club was lobbying the government, to get rid of front plates, but the school bus drivers fought back, and they won the fight.

My Trans Am has a nice looking front end, but it unfortunatly now has holes in the nose.

Quick Reply: states and provinces that require front licence plates