Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sport cars that you have to own atleast once

Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently read that a car enthusiast has got to own a VW GTI once in their life.

I can scratch that one off my list.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Originally Posted by Chiung' timestamp='1389660216' post='22963538
No list of sports cars is complete without the unique style and awesome power/handling of the Chrysler Crossfire, or the rugged and Teutonic SLK55 AMG. The mere label 'AMG' elevates a car to sports-car super-stardom.

LOLWUT

Cant tell if serious, or just bagging on that one dude
I was confused when i read this yesterday too
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the OP said he "drove", not owned those cars....correct me if I'm wrong but owning a car is very different from driving one.

I've driven all sorts of cars over the years but to own it and really understand the car is totally different.

Anyways the ones that stand out in my mind are:

A) GT3: It's an amazing car that makes you never even touch the radio dial. Hearing the motor revs climb as you drive on mountain roads make you feel like a true race car driver. It's so sticky and well connected that it's dangerous to go back to driving a normal car after being in the seat of a GT3 because you might forget how normal cars cannot take such a turn!

B) NSX: It's got the most unusual driving position (cab forward, mid motor, super lightweight that the 290hp makes it feel more like 400 in other cars). The steering is also something you have to experience in real life. Owning a Targa is another benefit in sunny weather. We got married in this car and it will forever be part of our family.

C) Lotus Exige: I did not own this car but a friend let me borrow it for a weekend and it left such an impression on me I almost sold one of our s2000's for one till my wife reminded me don't even think about it. It's surely not a practical car but I think it's truly the cloest car you can be to a motorcycle and you don't need to wear a helmet!

D) F458: I was fortunate to have a buddy go back to HK for a month and left me with this toy for safe keeping in our heated garage. Drove it up to Half Moon Bay Ritz for Sunday brunch and took it to a friend's wedding in Carmel. This machine makes me feel like I'm high all the time and I can't stop smiling. The revs build so fast from 30-100 rolling that it's almost Busa' fast. The shifts snap off insanely fast and the sound is the most intoxicating sound ever. My wife drove it back and even she was impressed by it's sheer handling and speed. This car is on my bucket list when our kids grow up.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theoretic Bucket list for the average Joe is tough. So much generation gap and practicality that should exist. Slightly above average Joe.. . I'd say for the 22-60 year old right now.. .

-S2000
-well setup Honda FWD 92-2000, pref the ITR on proper shocks and sways - A good one is more than just rice. I did up a 95 Civic with K20a2 engine and proper suspension.
-E36M3/E46M3/E9x M3 - just good enough at everything that they're almost practical lol!

Haven't owned a E46M3 or E9x M3 yet but from what people that I know say, they're worth it.

Kinda hard to suggest others that I haven't owned but I feel that in my future I should own a non-base model Vette of sorts, a P-car, a 5.0 mustang of sorts, VW Golf ___ (looking forward to the 2015 Golf R).
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by robhoy
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1389587232' post='22961938
One of the few cars that really strikes a chord for me is the BMW z3M Coupe. Preferrably the S54 version. I am 99% sure most S owners would really appreciate this car after the drive. The tough part is getting past the looks but this thing is not only a hoot, its a rare gem in its own right.
It's funny how many people hate the looks of the M coupe. There are a couple of them I see regularly out at Cars and Coffee events, and personally I think they're absolutely stunning! You do have to see them in person though, pictures don't do them justice for some reason. If only I could get a ride in one...
I totally agree with you, Rob. I love the way they look. The only reason I don't have one is because I want more from a "fun" car and my wife won't let me get another daily driver with a stick. My current Si creates too many problems when I need her to drive my car but she can't / refuses to learn how to. I think it would be my ideal daily driver. I don't care about back seats, it's fast enough to be fun but not so fast that it will get me into trouble, and it is a classic as far as I'm concerned. When I see most 90s BMWs, I think, "old BMW." When I see a z3 coupe, I think, "timeless BMW."
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 PM

Sounds like your wife is the problem - not the car. SMH.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I think the OP said he "drove", not owned those cars....correct me if I'm wrong but owning a car is very different from driving one.

I've driven all sorts of cars over the years but to own it and really understand the car is totally different.

A) GT3: It's an amazing car that makes you never even touch the radio dial. Hearing the motor revs climb as you drive on mountain roads make you feel like a true race car driver. It's so sticky and well connected that it's dangerous to go back to driving a normal car after being in the seat of a GT3 because you might forget how normal cars cannot take such a turn!

B) NSX: It's got the most unusual driving position (cab forward, mid motor, super lightweight that the 290hp makes it feel more like 400 in other cars). The steering is also something you have to experience in real life. Owning a Targa is another benefit in sunny weather. We got married in this car and it will forever be part of our family.

C) Lotus Exige: I did not own this car but a friend let me borrow it for a weekend and it left such an impression on me I almost sold one of our s2000's for one till my wife reminded me don't even think about it. It's surely not a practical car but I think it's truly the cloest car you can be to a motorcycle and you don't need to wear a helmet!

D) F458: I was fortunate to have a buddy go back to HK for a month and left me with this toy for safe keeping in our heated garage. Drove it up to Half Moon Bay Ritz for Sunday brunch and took it to a friend's wedding in Carmel. This machine makes me feel like I'm high all the time and I can't stop smiling. The revs build so fast from 30-100 rolling that it's almost Busa' fast. The shifts snap off insanely fast and the sound is the most intoxicating sound ever. My wife drove it back and even she was impressed by it's sheer handling and speed. This car is on my bucket list when our kids grow up.

the thread tittle says "own".

I had a different experience than you with a Ferrari, and this was one of the "driver's Ferrari", a 360 Challenge Stradale. I thought it was not that special the first few weeks. Only after a few months I learn to appreciate what makes the car special.

I test drove an NSX also and didn't think it was special (in the city at low speed). I think I need to really push it in the mountain/track/twisties to really understand what the car is all about. One of these days I will like to own an NSX.

nrye, there's an old saying: happy wife, happy life. Just saying....
Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1390246791' post='22974420

the thread tittle says "own".

I had a different experience than you with a Ferrari, and this was one of the "driver's Ferrari", a 360 Challenge Stradale. I thought it was not that special the first few weeks. Only after a few months I learn to appreciate what makes the car special.

I test drove an NSX also and didn't think it was special (in the city at low speed). I think I need to really push it in the mountain/track/twisties to really understand what the car is all about. One of these days I will like to own an NSX.

Cars are/will always be subjective just like rims or any other luxury item we buy. What works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the neck, this is why we have choices.

If I had to drive the NSX everyday in SF ~ I'm sure it will be one of my most hated cars because it never was meant for that purpose. Probably same with the Ferrari....

I've driven most of the early 90-late 2000 era Ferrari at some point including track time. Had a chance to pilot a F430 down Route 66 and got killed but who cares it sounded amazing, in fact none of them were disappointing. Even when I drove the 308 back on around LSD and Chicago's worst streets was a fun experience besides parking. F-cars are built to instill emotions and each model does it well.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Cars are/will always be subjective just like rims or any other luxury item we buy. What works for one guy doesn't mean it will work for the neck, this is why we have choices.

If I had to drive the NSX everyday in SF ~ I'm sure it will be one of my most hated cars because it never was meant for that purpose. Probably same with the Ferrari....

I've driven most of the early 90-late 2000 era Ferrari at some point including track time. Had a chance to pilot a F430 down Route 66 and got killed but who cares it sounded amazing, in fact none of them were disappointing. Even when I drove the 308 back on around LSD and Chicago's worst streets was a fun experience besides parking. F-cars are built to instill emotions and each model does it well.
yup... one man's dream car is another's nightmare.
I think NSX is a much better DD than pretty much any Ferrari. At least it's more comfortable and easier to drive.
NSX is on my "to get" list. One of the dream cars growing up and it's now within reach.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM

I've only owned 2 cars.

My first purchase is the E36 BMW M3, which drives like a damn dream. It would be nice if it had an extra 100 hp, but it drives so damn well, whether it be LA traffic or canyon roads.

My second is the AP1 S2000. Good price, so I jumped on it. We all know how much fun it is.

I'm looking for a new DD in the next few years. There are a lot of options for me and I have time, but hot hatches are at the top of my list.

Quick Reply: Sport cars that you have to own atleast once