Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Speeding Ticket From A Cop That Paced You?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket From A Cop That Paced You?

I know this isn't the right forum but I just got a ticket by a cop that measured my speed by his odometer. He didn't have a radar or a laser gun. He said he paced me 1/4 mile. Basically I want to fight this ticket in court because there is no actual proof that I speeded. I was wondering what king of chance do I have to fight this ticket? Btw, he got me going 73 in a 55 zone. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:40 PM

www.ticketassassin.com

Good luck, I can't offer any more advice than that though. I think the judge is likely to rule by his work before yours.

Quick2k
Old 07-22-2004, 09:14 PM

I believe you can obtain when his speedometer was last calibrated for accuracy. I got ticketed in the same fashion last year, and it sucked.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 PM

oh man that sux, so how fast honestly were you going?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c'mon, a cop car's speedometer is no more or less accurate than a radar or laser gun in determining the speed of another car. the bottom line is that you got caught driving way above the speed limit. just accept that fact, and live with the consequences. furthermore, when a cop paces you, he usually does so with an intent to allow you to slow down. in your case, you didn't even know that the cop was behind you all that time, so i don't even know what to say to that. for me, whenever i drive above the speed limit, i constantly scan my surroundings for cops with my own eyes. anyhow, i guess you have the legal right to fight the ticket, but chances are, short of the cop not showing up at court, you will most likely not get off from the violation. most if not all jurisdictions permit a cop to cite a speeding violation via pacing the vehicle, so unless your jurisdiction specifies otherwise, you have virtually no outlet.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:16 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In most cases being paced is just as good as radar for the cops, maybe even better. Chances are he had a camera rolling recording the speed as well as your car and plate. You might beat the ticket, but only if you get lucky.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out - http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/index.html

These are the guys who got the 55mph limit repealed, and they have some good advice.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:45 AM

why were you driving so slow? =)

go to court and get the points removed or reduced. they just want your money! if it was for safety the speed limit would be 45mph.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The reason why I'm kinna mad about this ticket is that the traffic that day was going about ~80, I was actually going slower than the traffic flow.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:09 PM

Look for a book called "Beat the Cops", it has some good advice in there.

One trick it taught me was to postpone your court dates. When you get your court date, you can ask to be rescheduled because you have a conflict with work, etc. The system is so full, everytime you push your date back, it can get re-scheduled months later. You can probably re-schedule a couple of times, pending you have good excuses.

I had one trial pushed back a whole year. Have a case prepared when you go to court, but the chance that a cop will show up to a traffic violation a year old, is pretty slim. I was lucky, and the cop never showed. Only cost was the $4 for parking at the court house, and the ticket was dismissed.

I have used www.ticketassassin.com on my last speeding ticket when I was just passing through CA. It's been over one year, and I am still waiting for a decision.

Or, look for a good traffic lawyer in your area. It will probably cost about $200, but there is a good chance the lawyer will get you off.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket From A Cop That Paced You?