Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Speed vs. Style

Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed vs. Style

I was reading the specs on the new Viper! 500HP/500lbs torque and the new Mustang SVT, With these numbers, will people still buy Ferraris, Porsches, and M3s whose prices are far higher and with lower performance #s? This is interesting, if something looks better, performs lesser, but priced higher, would you still buy it? Your thoughts...
Old 05-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's about the total package. Can a Mustang be built up that will outperform a Ferrari for less money? Absolutely.

Which would I rather drive? The Ferrari. Some of that is the beauty of many Ferrari designs...some is the mystique of the prancing horse...some of it is that bond between driver and machine...there's a lot to it that is more than mere performance numbers.

No matter how much money and performance goodies you toss at a Mustang, it's still just a Mustang.

If given a choice between an S2000 and a brand spankin' new BMW Z or Porshe Boxter what would I choose? S2000. More than the money, I like the style and the feel of the S2000. Honda aimed for a drivers car and they hit the nail on the head. It just happens to be cheaper than the others...so much the better for me!
Old 05-16-2002, 02:35 PM

Brant excellent reply. I've just noticed that the automotive landscape is quickly changing. 400HP just doesn't seem so exotic anymore. And most cars, under $70K can do sub 5 0-60s... The Cayenne has a 450hp version, the SL55 does 476hp, now this Viper and Mustang...
Old 05-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Former Moderator

When I was a kid (okay, not THAT long ago...) I was totally enamored with the idea of huge power. I thought that it was all about a bigger stick rather than knowing how to use a smaller one more effectively.

I started to realize that the cars that I got really excited about were the sweet handling ones more than the ultimate power ones. Granted, I like the thrill of acceleration as much as the next person, but it's about the total package. I want to feel good in the car...feel one with it. It's about the total package. It's about style. Not necessarily flash, but style.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it would have to be TOTAL PACKAGE. A combination of all the attributes- performance, handling, brakes, feel, quality, design and xenon lights (lol). What makes a ferrari is differernt than what makes it a mustang. When you buy ferrari you buy a museam piece. You buy heritage and history. You get a car that is exclusive and hand built. With the same token, if mustang was to re-deisgn a car and make it hand built and use the same quality and technology - i can gurantee you that the price would be in the upward of 80 or 90k. why? cuz R & D itself would throw the price up. If it's not mass produced then the few cars that is sold would have to take the cost in consideration of the price.

my 2cents.
LIL Raja
Old 05-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Former Moderator

It's not just price and exclusivity that do it, though. I mean, I actually really like the Mazda Miata as a total package. It's got style...it's a BLAST to drive..and it's, basically, dirt cheap (especially used).

Is it the best styled? Nah. Is it the fastest? Not even close. However, there is something undeniable about the total package (at least to me) that makes it a great car.

I also love the original VW GTI...the early 70s Datsun 510...the BMW 2002...

These are all, essentially, cheap cars, yet they seem to inspire me as much as cars like the current M3...just in a different way.

They had style...a weird style...but style...
Old 05-16-2002, 05:23 PM

This is the dilemma that I ran into when I bought my current car (01' 911 Porsche Carrera). I used to drive an SLK 230 (souped up a bit), and I was looking to get into a new car. At first I was going to get a Vette' because I thought it offered great performance for the money. But I really got ripped by the people around me saying that it was a lower "class" car, cheesy, etc (and visions of greasy Italian guys with fatty gold necklaces in Adidas outfits were swimming in my head). The I decided between the Dodge Viper and 911. Both around the same price. The Viper was by far more powerful, and attention getting of the two. But it also had a terrible interior, handling was poor for a novice sports car driver, and the chassis flex was awful around corners (also called cheesy by some people....that was tough to swallow). The 911 had a better chassis (handling, body structure, interior) but was a bit slower. But of the women I have gone out with they tell me that I made a much better choice, it has a certain "classyness" associated with it. I think it really depends on what you are looking for. The american car crowd will never get imported cars, and the import crowd will never look at doestics very well. You have to figure what's important for you.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Former Moderator

Porsche is a funny subject for me. I love the history and the style of Porsche. Since I was a little kid I have wanted a 911. I fell in love with a mid-80s 911 Turbo. To me, twitchy and unrefined and viceral as it was, THAT was a Porsche to me. I mean, I get the early years...and to this day I get weak kneed whenever I see an old 356 (and not just the Speedster), but I just don't get the same feeling with the new water-cooled Porsches.

Don't get me wrong, they are exceptionally well designed and handle worlds better than the older ones, but there is just something I find missing. I can't explain it, but the total package feels somewhat diluted now.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:53 PM

I understand what you are saying aboutthe 996. A lot of people say that about the 996 model. Although the 2002's sound better than the 99-01's. I actually got aftermarket exhaust, headers & airflow to make the sound a little nastier, and give it a little more go. I think the NSX & 911 are alike in that they can be everyday drivers, but also very sporty when driven hard. A lot of people think sports cars must have an edginess to them. BTW, I am not bagging on all American cars. I like them too. It's just what you are looking for in a car. I actually had a 2000 Mustang GT for a while.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:45 PM

From your discussion, I've realized that aside from power and beauty, the car must be unique? I must say uniqueness is a big factor. Then again, I wouldn't drive a Panoz or something that unique? Am I being confusing here?

Quick Reply: Speed vs. Style