Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

local dealer by my house in CT had an 2012 evo with 10k miles on for 28k. Loaded. I was tempted to sell the S for it.... There are definitely a lot of nice cars out there for that price range.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1368652627' post='22544980
Civic Si.
1. He didn't buy one 4 yrs. ago, for the same reasons he's not interested in it now; he wants low end torque.
My 2012 has plenty of torque down low...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1368656248' post='22545056
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1368652627' post='22544980']
Civic Si.
1. He didn't buy one 4 yrs. ago, for the same reasons he's not interested in it now; he wants low end torque.
[/quote]

1. Wow! I didn't expect that. I guess it is relative, b/c I don't even think teh S has plenty of torque down low; 1st time I drove teh S, I was shocked at how little a 240hp engine had over my 160hp del sol Vtec.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM

1. So tired, all day long, all day long driving cars, some twice to replace 28 yr. old son's 09 Scion that he bought new, but now, with all debt paid, and income doubled, he finds he needs more torque, ha!
2. Went to bed at 2 a.m., got up at 7 a.m. b/c of playing on cmp. Friend comes over to get cashier's check that I'm lending him to complete the buying of a business b/c of liquidity issues and time frame issues (He has much more money than I, but the humor is that he used to make fun of my being so poor back in the 80s, ha!). Don't you wish you were my friend? It's just house equity, you know how poor I really am. But that is a subject for a thread that will never be written since this isn't a business thread.
3A. My son was meeting me around 2 p.m. I went to Subaru and drove a WRX (265hp, 245 torque), only a 5 speed, and liked it; always said for my next car, instead of a Corolla, I would get a Subaru. Nearly, $30k, can't get for $26k base, sunroof a must, and have to get package of $29. The Sti is "only" $5k more, but I found out it isn't any more powerful 0-60, but 60-120 it is, which is not the kind of drive my son wants, the other Sti perks like the brake upgrade would not matter unless you are tracking your car, so the $35k WRX Sti isn't the one either.
3B. Oh, I almost forgot, before I went to Subaru, I went to the Hyundai, and talked about the Genesis, 4 cyl, a turbo, 274 hp and torque, the 6 not a turbo, 348 hp and 295 torque. No manual to drive. We talked about the Volester: 201hp and 195 torque, no turbo to drive.
3C. I then went to Toyota, and after talking with me, I didn't even drive the newer 180 hp Scion 6speed.
4. Went to Carmax, and drove a Mini-Cooper S, even with a tubo, only 168 hp.; I came back after only 200 yds, what I bunch of nothing, even worse than 3 yrs ago when I was shopping before I bought the S. Wouldn't start, salesman couldn't find hood release, even with guide, I couldn't either, he couldn't find battery, I found it looking at the guide, but we finally figured it out, then the salesman put the charger terminals on backwards, I smelled burning and saw smoke. I disconnected and reversed polarity; no harm done, ha! Eliminated it from list of cars for son to drive, I think his tc would have beat it, ha!
5. Then drove a Mazdaspeed 3, plenty of torque; son would have to drive it. They are about $24k, with 263 hp and 280 torque, a definite "must-drive."
6. I then went to Honda and drove the 6 cyl. Accord, 6 speed., base about $25k, but we found out, all the cars with a base of about $25 were really about 29k with options you "must" have, like a "sunroof," in my son's opinion. 278 hp and 252 torque. Too smooth, reminded me of my daughter's G27 Infinity Sport, with 320 hp and 282 torque. Not really particularly fun, like the more visceral WRX, or, the S!
7. I then went and drove the VW GTI, another $24k, but $29 with "must-have options. 200hp and 207 torque. I loved it; it didn't have the pull of the WRX in 1st, but it pulled in every gear, surprising so, with its lower numbers.
8. Met up with son at 2ish. He drove the WRX, didn't like the torque lag, especially noticed between 1st and 2nd, but liked it.
9. Drove the GTi, liked, no torque lag since the turbo engages at 1800 rpms, liked it.
10. While there, and waiting, we drove the Beetle turbo, same engine as in the GTi, and it was a blast, very spunky, good gauges. My son is not going to drive a retro beetle, but I would love the convertible for a personal car, no problem.
11. We then went to drive the Mazdaspeed 3, son had some trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd in it???, and he hated the car, said it was a family version of the WRX, ha! (got his dad's dry humor!) I was surprised at his reaction since it had the #s, and pulled well, probably due to not being "smooth" enough, having trouble shifting, strange; that was the 1st surprise of the day.'
12. On my insistence, and urging, which didn't take much, we went back to drive the WRX, which was becoming my favorite, difficult over the GTI, but b/c of the "rally" body style, with its hood scope, I thought it made the perfect "kid's car" for the 20 something crowd. The stunning "Rally Blue" was a love it or hate it color, my son and I weren't quite sure either way, too much like a blue on a Yamaha MC I had once that I wish I would have waited for the red or even silver.
13. I thought this 2nd drive, 3rd for me, would cinch in the WRX, but it did just the opposite for my favorite son. So, we went and did the forbidden, go drive the Mustang.
14. Earlier, at Carmax I didn't drive a V-8 Mustang, my mistake. My son, Daniel, drove the V6,305 hp, and 280 torque, and liked it, but we found out the 6 cyl. is faster than the V8 (??????, sales guy), but the V8 had more torque, so Daniel has to drive the V8, 420 hp and 390 torque; we had gotten there :15 before closing time, so we'll have to go back. My son didn't go over 60 mph test driving it; he did hammer it to get there, but he drove it easier than I would have. He is a good lad; he also is afraid to get a ticket, which he never has!
15. B/C of the winter snow tire situation, Daniel was going to forgo any rear-wheel drive, but when he found out that even the all wheel drive WRX needs winter rims and tires b/c they put summer compound on them, it opened up the can of worms.
16. We were both beat at 7ish when we finished up. I have no idea where this is going to end up, since he didn't grab onto the WRX like I thought he would.
17. When he realized the $25k really meant $29ishk, he is open to spending $35k if it will keep him from having to buy again in 4 yrs. like when he bought the Scion b/c it was the right thing to do at 22 yr. old, but realizes he should have bought this car, then. But, he had sschool debt he wanted to retire and didn't know he would be getting paid more than he deserved this soon. He would have kept my del sol, but it was totaled by a woman hitting him.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 PM

1. It has been suggested, a couple of other V6 manual coupes to look at would be the Altima and Nissan has one (besides the 370z).
2. The Ford ST or SR has been suggested as well.
3. I was hoping this was going to be relatively easy; the saga goes on.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsimaras' timestamp='1368583457' post='22542884
STI they are reliable fun and fast as he77. For 300-400$ you can add 50HP with a protune....I miss mine but still like the S2K better.

As for the comment above EVO is more reliable--hmm not true. STI has a more reliable tranny than EVO and Evo has more reliable motor than the STI but on the whole EVO's are in the shop more often than STI for warranty work.
1. Too expensive.
1. Not really

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3715964977.html
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM

1. It has been suggested, a couple of other V6 manual coupes to look at would be the Altima Nissan, (besides the 370z).
2. The Ford ST or SR has been suggested as well.
3. I was hoping this was going to be relatively easy; the saga goes on.

A. Found out the Nissan Altima only had a coupe manual 6 cyl. in 2012.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1368613133' post='22543441
[quote name='jtsimaras' timestamp='1368583457' post='22542884']
STI they are reliable fun and fast as he77. For 300-400$ you can add 50HP with a protune....I miss mine but still like the S2K better.

As for the comment above EVO is more reliable--hmm not true. STI has a more reliable tranny than EVO and Evo has more reliable motor than the STI but on the whole EVO's are in the shop more often than STI for warranty work.
1. Too expensive.
1. Not really

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3715964977.html
[/quote]

A. The salesman at VW called, and the Stage One APR tune at EP Works costs $750.
B. 1st gear is short anyway, so it is enhanced, 2nd is really good, apparently 3rd is where is really shines!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

1. ... it is an oxymoron for me to be driving the S, but with it's 25+ mpg for a work car, and when you want to sport around, it's there, a good fit.
2. Higher hp, and better torque would get less mpg all the time, and I couldn't live with that; my son, however, only putting 8k/yr. on his car, could afford less mpg.
3. ...
That's not necessarily true. A 2012 Chevy Corvette will see 19/26MPG, 2012 BMW 335i will see 19/28MPG, 2012 Porsche Turbo S will see 17/25MPG, 2012 Audi S5 Convertible will see 17/26MPG, and a 2012 Lexus IS350 will see 19/27MPG for example (all according to Edmunds). Modern car manufacturers have had a strong focus on MPG and emissions while maintaining (as best they can) vehicle performance. Look at the direction even Ferrari is going with the LaFerrari and its KERS system, or the Porsche 918 Spyder. Decent to good MPG can still be had with HP and TQ.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1368715411' post='22546349
[quote name='doddg' timestamp='1368656248' post='22545056']
[quote name='FearlessFife' timestamp='1368652627' post='22544980']
Civic Si.
[/quote]

1. Wow! I didn't expect that. I guess it is relative, b/c I don't even think teh S has plenty of torque down low; 1st time I drove teh S, I was shocked at how little a 240hp engine had over my 160hp del sol Vtec.
[/quote]

Yes. The K-Series in my Si is different from any other Honda I have driven. It actually can get off the line from a dead stop fairly well. In fact, I am to the point now where I hate city traffic with a passion in my S2000 because it is the exact opposite. Highly recommend the Si - fun daily driver and the price is right. Insurance shouldn't be too bad either.

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car