Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Clean C5 Z06? And allow for some flex in the $25k budget for the right one. H/C/I and tires down the road, if he somehow outgrows the car stock. And plenty of parts and knowledgeable owner base for him to learn to do stuff on his own. I think it hits your priorities pretty well too.
1. I think he'd spend more if he needed to do so.
2. Not sure what "H/C/I" is, but since you said, "and tires," I guess you're talking about rims and tires for winter?
3. He's not a gearhead, he'll never mod a car; doesn't care that much.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
I've never looked, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a 370z for $25k

If that's his dream car, why not just buy that?

(Sorry if the answer to the above question was addressed in your post, but to be honest... it was pretty difficult to read.)
1. "Difficult?" Ha! That's why I number, ha!
2. He's never even driven one.
3. Back in 09 he wanted Mitsubishi Eclipse; I simply told him how they hold up to about 80k miles, then problems. Maintenance!
4. This is why I want him to drive some of these cars, to find out what he really might like, or even someone suggesting something we've not thought of.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by S2K Al' timestamp='1368408595' post='22537878
Clean C5 Z06? And allow for some flex in the $25k budget for the right one. H/C/I and tires down the road, if he somehow outgrows the car stock. And plenty of parts and knowledgeable owner base for him to learn to do stuff on his own. I think it hits your priorities pretty well too.
1. I think he'd spend more if he needed to do so.
2. Not sure what "H/C/I" is, but since you said, "and tires," I guess you're talking about rims and tires for winter?
3. He's not a gearhead, he'll never mod a car; doesn't care that much.
Ah. Heads/Cam/Intake, and tires to keep the thing pointed in the right direction after that. Having seen some of the cars mentioned in the original post, I took your soon for at least a car fan (if not a gearhead) and figured he'd at least appreciate the C5, if not seriously consider it. Even if kept stock, I think he'd be plenty happy but the mod bug always bites.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Ah. Heads/Cam/Intake, and tires to keep the thing pointed in the right direction after that. Having seen some of the cars mentioned in the original post, I took your soon for at least a car fan (if not a gearhead) and figured he'd at least appreciate the C5, if not seriously consider it. Even if kept stock, I think he'd be plenty happy but the mod bug always bites.
[/quote]

1. He wouldn't even know what a C5 is, and that's not a work car for the winters here in Indy.
2. When he needed tires for his tc, I researched it for him and told him to get the Continental DWS, and upsized the tire size a hair; he was not intersted.
3. I'm surprised he even cares enough to want a different car, but riding in some of his friend's cars lets him know what he's missing out on! He didn't learn it from me; I've always settled for less, until the S.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Considered an Evo at all?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thank you for the kind words. As for the post above mine, I am also curious on how you and your son feel about the Evo? Can anyone chime in on the pros and cons with the Evo? As I would also like to know if this is a good winter and summer car?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
I've never looked, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a 370z for $25k

If that's his dream car, why not just buy that?

(Sorry if the answer to the above question was addressed in your post, but to be honest... it was pretty difficult to read.)
This. And yeah it was hard to read. He could also look at the G35/37 as I bet you could find one of those in that price range as well. I will also echo the Mustang, GTO, Camero, G8 GT choices as they would all fit the bill and can be had in the price range.

Also kind of curious if you both love low end torque so much what on earth are you doing on an S2000 forum?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oneloveknk
I thank you for the kind words. As for the post above mine, I am also curious on how you and your son feel about the Evo? Can anyone chime in on the pros and cons with the Evo? As I would also like to know if this is a good winter and summer car?
Had an IX RS for 6 years. Evo's are a beast and worth every penny as long as you're not a panel-gap freak or care what your friends think of how the interior looks. Not sure what would make a great summer car, but mine was unstoppable with Blizzaks in the winter. Problem is most Evo's have been torn up, abused and poorly maintained so good luck finding a good one.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1368409281' post='22537899
Since you live up north...STi /thread
1. STI, not the first time I've heard that!

Skip STI, just pay less for the WRX and add a mod or two to his liking. It would be much easier to find and probably cheaper to insure.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM

I think he should buy what he can afford. If he has the cash for a Z car then great. If you have to help him financially, don't.

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car