Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo 9. Car spools at 3k and they usually aren't beat to hell like STI's
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1373531842' post='22659722
[quote name='i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1373492465' post='22658851']
Cheesus, Mary and Broseph. Two months later, it's time to sum up where this thread stands so far:

Wants:
-ALL THE TORQUES
-Convertible
-Good winter driver
-Not too big
-Not too small
-Manual a plus
-Reliable
-Not a "family car"
-Not too expensive
-No lag
-No turbo
-Coupe

Budget:
-$25-35k
Or maybe $25-50k
Or maybe as cheap as possible.
Or maybe one year's salary.

Does not want:
- Civic Si (no torques)
- 370z (too pricey)
- RX8 Turbo (Dad says no)
- Mustang GT (Can't drive it in snow and ice)
- Corvette C5 (Not a work car for the winters here in Indy)
- STI (Too expensive)
- Mazdaspeed3 (hated the car)
- Evo (Too expensive, not reliable, not convertible)
- Accord v6 (Too smooth, too big)
- S4 (too expensive)
- Camaro (Too big)
- 3 series (Too expensive)
- 350Z (No torques!)
- 370Z (Did not like)
- Z4 (Maintenance worries)
- GTO (Too old, not convertible)
- S2000 (No torques!)
- XKR (Not a convertible, maintenance worries)

And here we are.
"Evo[/b][/s] (Too expensive, not reliable, not convertible)"

Evo is a bargain. And not reliable? Out of all the cars listed in this thread, the Evo stands with the Vette and Hondas as being a car with ROCK SOLID reliability. Evos are some of the most reliable cars on the road, PERIOD, even with 2x more whp than they come with from the factory. Anyone telling you otherwise is ignorant. I came from Hondas to BMW's to now Evo's so I KNOW what reliability is. There are tons of people out there with 400-550 whp on the stock motor and E85 who have 50-100k miles on their setups on the stock engine. Hell, my car had 96k miles on it when I got it, I drove it for 15k miles with a 370 whp/360 wtq stock turbo E85 setup and beating the shit out of it, no problems whatsoever, stock compression is still strong.

And for the last 5k miles I've driven it at these power levels, on E85, daily, no problems whatsoever:

Just lease the Evo, it doesn't come out to more than buying it if you keep it after the 2 years. I did the numbers on my friend's lease of his 2013 Evo done at $270/mo.
1. He's not going to lease, and kiss nearly $10k goodbye for a 2 year stint with a car.
2. If he's serious about a 'vert being a deal breaker, he'll miss out on the virtues of an Evo, but I'll send him your info.
3. I look at a car's maintenance in the 2nd 100k, not the first 100k, about any car will hold up for the 1st 100k; resale values tell the truth about what the 2nd 100k will do.
4. Your experience with the cars you have owned is a valuable resource.
5. Since the Evo is built on the Lancer platform, I am surprised to hear they are rated so well; I was going to buy a Lancer in 05 b/c my wife liked the way it felt, but they wanted the same price as a Corolla, so I passed and got yet another boring Corolla, b/c reliability was #1 on my list.
[/quote]

Um...

1. Evos have some of the highest resale of any cars, PERIOD. Evo's and STI's have insane resale. Evo 9's are 2006 MY cars and the avg pricing for them is $20-26k USED. Guess what they retailed for? $28-34k...

Evo X's resell for $22-28k used, they usually sell for $35k~ new.

2. Convertible is overrated.

3. Uh... 100k? Evos, like I said, are some of the most reliable cars around. There's a guy on EvoM with a 2003 Evo who has 300k+ miles on it. He drives it like 100 miles a day, every day. I think he's at like 400-500 whp, can't remember.

4. Thanks.

5. An Evo is built on the Lancer platform, but it has no factor on reliability. The Evo shares very few parts with the Lancer. Mitsubishi built these cars rock solid. The Evo is actually more reliable than the STI, only ignorant people believe otherwise. The STI has ringland issues that blow motors on stock tunes, 4G63/4B11 in Evo 8-9 and X have NO such issues. 4G63 is probably the toughest factory 4 cyl ever made.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totaled my evo 9 after 4 years of ownership, got 95% of what i paid for it from the insurance company....had no mods to speak of.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Evos have some of the highest resale of any cars, PERIOD. Evo's and STI's have insane resale. Evo 9's are 2006 MY cars and the avg pricing for them is $20-26k USED. Guess what they retailed for? $28-34k...

Evo X's resell for $22-28k used, they usually sell for $35k~ new.
You are 100% correct with this statement. I see evo 9's sell for 23-28k all day long on the local craigslist. Very impressive considering that 7 years ago, and 30-90k miles ago, they only cost a few thousand more in brand new condition.

If you are looking for a car with an insane resale value, the evo is hard to beat.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Also, I would have to give another vote to the Evo in this situation. If I had to sell both cars and get one "do everything" car, it would be an Evo for sure. Fast, reliable, awd, aftermarket support, a community similar to that of the s2000, high resale value, etc. I really have a hard time finding the downside to that car.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My evo x with just bolt-ons and a tune netted me 100whp over stock....wow it's nice not tuning the s2000 anymore..lol

Love the evo. Lots of power runs low 12s and handles great.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I need to test drive a modded evo x. I can test drive a new one but I know I won't care for the stock power. Should be a place you can test drive modded cars before buying new haha.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Cheesus, Mary and Broseph. Two months later, it's time to sum up where this thread stands so far:

Wants:
-ALL THE TORQUES
-Convertible
-Good winter driver
-Not too big
-Not too small
-Manual a plus
-Reliable
-Not a "family car"
-Not too expensive
-No lag
-No turbo
-Coupe

Budget:
-$25-35k
Or maybe $25-50k
Or maybe as cheap as possible.
Or maybe one year's salary.

Does not want:
- Civic Si (no torques)
- 370z (too pricey)
- RX8 Turbo (Dad says no)
- Mustang GT (Can't drive it in snow and ice)
- Corvette C5 (Not a work car for the winters here in Indy)
- STI (Too expensive)
- Mazdaspeed3 (hated the car)
- Evo (Too expensive, not reliable, not convertible)
- Accord v6 (Too smooth, too big)
- S4 (too expensive)
- Camaro (Too big)
- 3 series (Too expensive)
- 350Z (No torques!)
- 370Z (Did not like)
- Z4 (Maintenance worries)
- GTO (Too old, not convertible)
- S2000 (No torques!)
- XKR (Not a convertible, maintenance worries)

And here we are.
The thread was hilarious before this post, but after this, I'm just going to stop reading. Because it's just stupid and the search for the seemingly "perfect" car simply doesn't exist.

EVO -NOT RELIABLE?! Are you serious?! Those motors are built like tanks.
Accord - Too smooth. Like one can never have enough of it. I hate smooth silky skin, I'd like mine to be all dry and scaly. Like Ashy Larry.

350Z - No torque, does he even know what torque is?

And then there's the complain about certain cars being too old and certain cars being too expensive. Come on man, if you don't want an old car, then it's going to be more expensive. If you don't want an expensive car, it's going to be older.

That post goes down as one of the most epic crying post of all time.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
I really have a hard time finding the downside to that car.
The car is near perfect except for the disgusting interior and "boy racer" look.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by bkowa092' timestamp='1373676614' post='22663213
I really have a hard time finding the downside to that car.
The car is near perfect except for the disgusting interior and "boy racer" look.
I can't really disagree with you here considering that looks are subjective. I have always loved the exterior but agree the interior could use some work. I think the car provides enough positives to offset the negatives though.

As far as the boy racer look, I think a few simple mods can help dull the appearance (if that's your goal). Removing the wing and giving it a nice subtle drop (instead of slamming it) can really make the car look much more sophisticated.

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car