Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1371432744' post='22612371
5. If he drives one, he'll probably really like it, unless the size throws him, he's rejected the Genesis, Accord 6, Mustang b/c of size.
Are these too big or too small?
How about this? 2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe? Plenty of low end torque (390 hp), cool, and beautiful. Saw this on cars.com for $22K with 60K miles
1. Looks good to me, but it's not a convertible, and a jag? I'd be afraid of maintenance!
2. 390 torque does sound awesome, though!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1371940494' post='22625154
[quote name='doddg' timestamp='1371432744' post='22612371']
5. If he drives one, he'll probably really like it, unless the size throws him, he's rejected the Genesis, Accord 6, Mustang b/c of size.
How about this? 2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe? Plenty of low end torque (390 hp), cool, and beautiful. Saw this on cars.com for $22K with 60K miles
1. Looks good to me, but it's not a convertible, and a jag? I'd be afraid of maintenance!
[/quote]

I did not know he wanted a convertible, most XK's are, the coupe is much rarer actually. I've been driving Jag's with that engine for almost 10 years and never had a major engine issue. The engine for that car is one of the most reliable V8's out. Do some research and you see, don't go by old cliches about the marque. Brembo brakes, ZF transmission, chain driven engine...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1371958519' post='22625398
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1371940494' post='22625154']
[quote name='doddg' timestamp='1371432744' post='22612371']
[/quote]

I did not know he wanted a convertible, most XK's are, the coupe is much rarer actually. I've been driving Jag's with that engine for almost 10 years and never had a major engine issue. The engine for that car is one of the most reliable V8's out. Do some research and you see, don't go by old cliches about the marque. Brembo brakes, ZF transmission, chain driven engine...
[/quote]

1. Interesting; I've never heard anything good about the Jag, and reliability, never even looked them up in Consumer's Report or the Red Book.
2. I wouldn't expect major engine or tranny issues, but a plethera of the usual electrical and electronic gremlins that seem to plague modern cars when they get 80-100k miles on them.
3. People rose up in droves when I talked about the BMW Z4, baisically saying you can't afford the maintenance after the warranty goes away. I can't imagine that the Jag is rated better?
4. A dear friend from church looked at, for months, a Jag, and finally bought it, a used one a few years old for $10Kish, and he mentioned that the only thing he read were tranny issues; I'll be watching him, sorry I don't know the model, more of a family car, though.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You rejected the mustang GT on the 1st page because you felt it could not drive in the snow but you are looking at a c5 vette? I don't get it.

Sounds to me like he just needs and awd tuner car to enjoy the hobby a bit. Evo, WRX, STI
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 AM

[quote name='07RioS2k' timestamp='1372082688' post='22627101']
You rejected the mustang GT on the 1st page because you felt it could not drive in the snow but you are looking at a c5 vette? I don't get it.
Sounds to me like he just needs and awd tuner car to enjoy the hobby a bit. Evo, WRX, STI

1. You are correct to point out the inconsistency; we have discovered with proper snows, the Mustang can be driven year-round, many do it; however, doing that with the Vette, no matter the claims of those that do it, is more troublesome; I have
told him if he went the Vette route (which I doubt, but he has surprised me before), to keep his tc for a winter car, much like your suggestion conceptually.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's his reasoning against getting an evo?

Great torque
Fast
Great feeling transmission (5speed)
Awd
Handles great

There too many things that one car has that another doesn't
An evo does the job great in many areas...except no convertible.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Great torque
Fast
Awd
Handles great
1. $35k price tag, yet still not his dream 2 door, convertible car, and it's a Mitsubishi, which has not been rated like the Honda and Toyota, or even Subaru, as far as I know.
2. I could be wrong, I've not even researched the Mitsubishi's reliability b/c of my attitude toward them due to what I've seen with people who have had them, which hasn't been many.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
Originally Posted by civdaddy' timestamp='1372217324' post='22631073
Great torque
Fast
Awd
Handles great
1. $35k price tag, yet still not his dream 2 door, convertible car, and it's a Mitsubishi, which has not been rated like the Honda and Toyota, or even Subaru, as far as I know.
2. I could be wrong, I've not even researched the Mitsubishi's reliability b/c of my attitude toward them due to what I've seen with people who have had them, which hasn't been many.
You kind of have to exclud the evo from the other mistubishi line. They are a specialty car and are the only mistubishi I would ever own.

Also I have an evo x and its pretty damn fast. Runs almost low 12s and has Gobbs of torque. Just bolt-ons and a tune.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Summer is half over dude......
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Cheesus, Mary and Broseph. Two months later, it's time to sum up where this thread stands so far:

Wants:
-ALL THE TORQUES
-Convertible
-Good winter driver
-Not too big
-Not too small
-Manual a plus
-Reliable
-Not a "family car"
-Not too expensive
-No lag
-No turbo
-Coupe

Budget:
-$25-35k
Or maybe $25-50k
Or maybe as cheap as possible.
Or maybe one year's salary.

Does not want:
- Civic Si (no torques)
- 370z (too pricey)
- RX8 Turbo (Dad says no)
- Mustang GT (Can't drive it in snow and ice)
- Corvette C5 (Not a work car for the winters here in Indy)
- STI (Too expensive)
- Mazdaspeed3 (hated the car)
- Evo (Too expensive, not reliable, not convertible)
- Accord v6 (Too smooth, too big)
- S4 (too expensive)
- Camaro (Too big)
- 3 series (Too expensive)
- 350Z (No torques!)
- 370Z (Did not like)
- Z4 (Maintenance worries)
- GTO (Too old, not convertible)
- S2000 (No torques!)
- XKR (Not a convertible, maintenance worries)

And here we are.

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car