Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Had a great talk w/son tonight on the phone while he's driving home; this hasn't happened in the previous decade, so this car hunt is working out just fine for me.
2. I had asked him to call in an email b/c I to know how serious he was about the Z4; I told him if drove one, he would lose control and buy on the spot.
3. He said that after all input that he got, mostly: run!, from the impending maintenance, plus the cost of getting at least an 09, to get the hardtop 'vert, put a damper on what solved 2 problems: softtop, and adequate torque, not to mention the 1200rpm engagement of the same!
4. He wished the 350Z had one.
5. He counts the cost of his choices (unlike many on a car site), and he reiterated that he doesn't have to be in a hurry to do anything, as he gets more information, he will digest it (and be accused of multiple infractions of violating the unwritten rules of "hurry up and buy a d---m car!).
6. He has a real life beyond the car he drives; he'll be ok, buy or not buy.
7. As an accountant, I think there is a 30% chance he just keeps his money for the future; I've taught him, any week you want to buy a car, they will still be for sale.
8. Now, if a real deal comes up out of the blue b/c of circumstances, always be ready to pounce.
9. We have a lead on a fair deal on an older S2, that wouldn't put him out much cash, maybe something like that, where he can basically switch cars w/o much liquidity being used: good accounting.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Wow, I'm amazed this has gone on for 5 pages.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what kind of research is your SON doing on his side?

Also, at this point, why hasn't HE just created a log-in and asked for advice here? I feel like this whole thing is dealing with a middleman. I know: "Don't like/Don't read" and everything, but man, this is just getting kinda clumsy. I can't be the only one who feels this way...
1. He knows the attitude of online sites; don't think he'd have the patience to put up with the abuse that is done online when others do things different, like has been exhibited here by some. Plus, he knows I'm here, and in my main club, asking quesions, and he knows how much abuse I've had on both sites, since most (not all), are against anything non-S, and certainly have no patience for someone who might take forever and a day to part with his money! I've told him, there are always cars for sale next week, next month.............., never be in a hurry unlesss you have done enough research to know he market, and recognize teh "steal" when it comes along, and usually they aren't adveritised. I bought a 1965 Mustang, fully restored except for interior, gas tank, and radiator, for $2k once; kept it for a year and sold it for $5k.
2. I teach Middle School, High School, and presently an alternative H.S., so I can deal with the "difficult" ones that don't play nice; it's how I earn my living.
3. He works long hours, has other committments, but I know he's doing research, that's how he found out about the BMW Z4, not that we didn't walk around a few at the dealer looking for used 328s, but with $50k pricetags, we didn't look too hard, and I've taught him (however unfair), to beware of upkeep of the same).
4. Good analogy about the middleman; you are correct!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
You aren't. I have never seen someone all over the map, I can't really identify because I know exactly what I want in a car down to the color and options when I go to buy.
To the OP, even with a broad range of enthusiasts and knowledge, how are we supposed to answer that BMW post? There is just too much there to sift through most of which we have no experience with. I will say that I would be looking at the 06-08 M Roadster just because I think it's the best driver's car out of the bunch. Hardtop convertible on 09+ would be awesome, looking at $$ though.
1. The "M" great recommendation from what I've read!
2. The only reason I asked about the Z4 is because of the "other cars" type of main topic that was available for what I thought, this sort of thing.
3. I ask b/c I have read where some have owned the Z, and I'm sure others have friends with them, and could point me into the, "run" or the "pursue it" direction.
4. My boring friends don't drive bimmers, they drive 450SL Roadsters, 1951 Hudson Hollywoods (really! I know more about antique cars than sport cars), 57 Thunderbirds, Cadillacs, Lexus, nothing exciting).
5. They think I never grew up and am immature for driving a Roadster at my age; hey, I'm just deprived, and I put away my MC after 2 accidents that I still bear the injuries from.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
if the bmw z is affordable its slow and unreliable, the s2k is a massive upgrade on a z unless you get a newish one and in that case you could get a way better car for that much
1. He's after low-end torque.
2. In college, he never drove my S, didn't care for it; lately, with the time we've spent test driving cars, about 4 days and 10 cars, he's starting to "get it"
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Note to Daniel:

1. I can't access yahoo, but the guy who emailed me in the club who has the 04 S2 for $16k (not $17K like I said), emailed me back saying his bottom price is $1x.x, and mentioned that Carmax offered him $1x. Like I said, an individual rarely is asking what he'll take, this case, he is coming off $x.x, which is a better price.
2. I know that it is a good price for an 04 b/c my friend Powell who I helped search for months, for a $10-12k price car (usually the 2000-2002 yrs.) there was never an 04 that cheap.
3. If you wanted an S; you wouldn't get one cheaper, but it is the Suzuka blue on blue (which is rare, instead of blk interior.)

4. By the way, if you got an S, snows wouldn't be a problem, I'd sell you a set for half of what I got in them: $600 + $200 = $800/2 = $400, snow tire problem solved.
5. And, you could find a hardtop, difficult, and it could cost you $3K; black or blue would work.

6. Not trying to influence you; I'd rather you spend $22k, and get a lower mileage one, but, you could buy this at this price and keep your tc, and not mess with hardtop or snows, altough, you could be looking at a softtop replace in 3-6 yrs. b/c that would be normal, a 10 yr. life; maybe it's been done?!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM

1. Daniel drove a 370z 'vert today; he was surprised he didn't like it (after loving the 350z 06 or 07 that had some basic mods); after driving mine, is seems too big like the Mustang.
2. There were no manual 'verts anywhere in the city, so we drove the automatic 'vert just to get the feel of it, which, as stated, was disappointing.
3. I think the coupe had a smaller "feel" to it.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM

1. Well, I think he's dismissed the Z4, b/c people on the site have put the fear into him (unless he could buy in warranty, and sell it before out of warranty).
2. This only leaves teh 370Z, which after today, isn't as aattractive, I wonder why the 350Z he drove seemed "smaller?" Could be the difference between a coupt and a conv.
3. Since he laments the S having little 1st gear torque off the line, I did tell him about the 4.77 and the 4.56 gears he could do that others love.
5. Since he was willing to spend $1k for a "remap" of a GTI/Beetle/WRX, then the 4.56 gear expense shouldn't be too bad; I would like to do it myself, but I don't want to swap out my diff.; I want it done to my diff that I have had since 9k miles.
6. I wonder if I called hardtopguy, he could do that in a day if I drove to Cleveland where he is. He's teh closest to me for driving; I know there is a "Billman" on the other site that does it, but he is much further away from me, maybe in the summer.
7. If my son could drive mine, altered with the 4.56 maybe that would sway him to an S.

1. Drove 2012 28i; it was "fine," nothing to write home about.
2. Whaat I don't understand, the automatic 28i I drove seemed to have more pep, which is impossible, and since we're talking about subjective evaluation: I didn't have much expectation wiht hte auto., but did have with the manual, so maybe that's what dashed my hopes.
3. I love my S! Maybe driving the 30i or 35i, would do it for me, and I know the M would, but Daniel is scared away from them at this point, since he knows he needs to buy one still under warranty, and sell it before it goes out, and he could just get the 370Z instead.
4. I certainly would not incur expense to switch out just for more torque; I'd be more likely to get the 4.56 gear for $1500, which I've always had a secret yearning for, and I was advised not to do the 4.77 in the AP2, but the 4.56 b/c of the freeway driving to work that I do (which will be 0 next year b/c of work location change).
Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

http://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sal...-roadster.html
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM

1. Bay area, a little far from Indy.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM

You say he wants torque? How about a GTO?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car