Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Son wants to upgrade car

Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Daniel has discovered teh BMW Z; please give input on why he should not buy due to maintencance costs, or why he should go for it.
2. engines to stay away from, years, etc.
3. Z3 or Z4?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM

1. Z4 09 has the hardtop 'vert.
2. Engines. Should he stay away from the 3.5i and limit himself to the 3.0, or restrict himself even further to the other one?
3. He would want the 09 and up (not that he could afford it) b/c of the hardtop 'vert.
4. Should he not limit himself to the hardtop 'vert b/c the softtop holds up. Is it prohibitive to replace; the S is about $1-$1.5k to get it done: 6 hours labor and whatever top you get.
5. When he was doing a search, he found the hardtop 'vert and turbo, and it spoke to him, ha!
6. Maintenance: starter replacement, muffler, radiator, shocks, brakes, etc.
7. I've heard of oil changes costing $500; never called about it.
8. I tried to steer him away from the Mine 'vert/turbo for the same rumors; I assume the Z4 is built better than what I call the "throw-away" BMW: Mini. If that is an unfair critic, enlighten me!
9. Look forward to you giving info on whether to run, or pursue. Some have come down on everything VW, and Audi doesn't seem to win any contests either, so where does BMW fit into all this?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 AM

1. Some engines sizes:

2012 35i 300/300 (@1400 rpm!!)

2010 3.5si 300/300

2009 3.0si 255/220

2007 M 330/262

2006 3.0si 255/220

2006 3.0i 215/185

2005 2.5i 184/175

2003 2.5i 184/175
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 AM

A note to my son:
1. So, you have a soap opera going, with hundreds waiting, ha!.
2. You have my support to buy a new $50k BMW Z4 for obvious reasons, spending a year's salary on just a ride, or keep what you got and save your $, buy a Beetle to get a convertible,with mapping of course, GTI for practical reasons, a WRX for the fun kid factor, which I don't think you'll do b/c no 'vert, or go Mustang, and dealing with the size, take a chance on a Cooper.
3. Then there is the 350Z and the S2000, which, of the two, I think you'll go with the 350Z, but I've been wrong about 3 times so far.
4. I'm yourbiggest fan, so I can't wait to see what you'll do.
5. Your age figures into this, in 5 yrs. you'd choose differently, and in another 5 yrs. after that, etc. Some look forward to buying a certain car for 10 yrs., buy it, and keep it for 10 yrs.
6. I waited 25 yrs. to get a Miata, and I ended up with an S. I waited for 10 years to buy a 6 cylinder Jeep, after having a 4 cylinder years earlier (that you learned to drive a manual on), but I passed w/o hesitation after researching for a week, and test driving two.
7. Never considered the Z4 (Z3 at the time), b/c of fear of BMWmaintenance, and the Mini for the same, but it didn't have anything (I didn't want a turbo). The 350Z was on my radar (had a 'vert for $15k that was tempting), but I knew nothing about their reliability, and since I wanted a Miata, didn't really care that much.
8. Never considered an American car like the Mustang.
9. B/C of me and the net, you are better informed than I was, and you have more discretionary income than I ever had. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Daniel Dodd | GL Record to Report

You can let them know that I’m not flip flopping as when I started this journey I was reviewing everything and seeking to understand the pro’s and con’s of all avail cars in my market range that are sporty and fast and I have not deterred from that path.
I appreciate their input and it has lead me to consider and make some of my decisions.
If they are tired of providing their input they do not have to read the thread and those that are enjoying the story can continue to come along for the ride b/c we both know you love to talk to anyone who listens and it’s called a forum for that very reason J When they click on a thread of yours they should be well aware of what they’re getting themselves into.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, My s2000 is on Craigslist. It has warranty too for another year.
Dad / Son suzuka tagteam??
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka_indy
Gary, My s2000 is on Craigslist. It has warranty too for another year.
Dad / Son suzuka tagteam??
1. If it is Indy craigslist, I have printed out for him.
2. Oh, how I wish he had made a decision to go that way, since I know that car so well!
3. We saw a Suzuka with about 60k miles for $17k, must be yours, since I remember reading about the warranty, and told him it looked like a good profile.
4. There was one somewhere with 10k miles on it for $21kish, so that would give him a choice for less expensive, and more $.; for $4k ish more $ I told him I'd get the more expensive one, but the fact that it has the same color combo was the killer, ha!
5. I bought my 04 3 yrs. ago w/9k miles for $18.5, so your price was high in contrast, no offense meant; hope you get it so if I sold my 04 with 44k miles, I could get more $!!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Wow, I'm amazed this has gone on for 5 pages.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what kind of research is your SON doing on his side?

Also, at this point, why hasn't HE just created a log-in and asked for advice here? I feel like this whole thing is dealing with a middleman. I know: "Don't like/Don't read" and everything, but man, this is just getting kinda clumsy. I can't be the only one who feels this way...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You aren't. I have never seen someone all over the map, I can't really identify because I know exactly what I want in a car down to the color and options when I go to buy.

To the OP, even with a broad range of enthusiasts and knowledge, how are we supposed to answer that BMW post? There is just too much there to sift through most of which we have no experience with. I will say that I would be looking at the 06-08 M Roadster just because I think it's the best driver's car out of the bunch. Hardtop convertible on 09+ would be awesome, looking at $$ though.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM

if the bmw z is affordable its slow and unreliable, the s2k is a massive upgrade on a z unless you get a newish one and in that case you could get a way better car for that much

Quick Reply: Son wants to upgrade car