Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Some thoughts of an Internet Salesperson...

Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres the interesting part - none of the dealers that said no brought out goons and threw me out of the dealership.
I had three Ford dealers turn down my invoice offer for a 98 Cobra back in 1998, at one the "manager" (aka head crook) actually got red in the face and started talking loudly.

Down the road another dealer did the deal for invoice. The issue here is any dealer worth a shit understands that an invoice deal is over and done with quickly. The car slinger gets his 100 bucks and moves on, higher volume replaces the dealers losses in the long run.

Now, the sleazy high school dropout sales folks on the other hand don't like this approach as it requires they actually work a bit more. They would much prefer to collect 25% on anything 500 bucks more than MSRP as commission -- and not just 100 bucks for doing nothing but sitting there with a vapid look for 20 minutes.

I have never, not once met a car sales person who was smarter than a light pole, but I have known more than a couple who understood the volume game well enough to make a decent living.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariusx,Mar 1 2005, 08:59 PM
The implication is that they know the dealers business costs and overhead enough to make that determination. That, I find somewhat insulting.
I have no problem with fair, reasonable and civil negotiating
I've been out of the business for a long time but in my day the service department paid the bills and sales/F&I provided the gravy. I don't know how long you've been in the business but with the attitude you are exhibiting here you should find a new career or you just came out of a sales meeting where they fed you this line. I heard the same stuff for the first time over 20 years ago.
Of course you might have just had a bad month. Screw the commission sell the stuff that has spiffs on them. I made $7000 one Saturday on spiffs and the total over invoice was about $200 for the 8 trucks I rolled out.

Originally Posted by Steve C,Mar 1 2005, 09:12 PM
]I have never, not once met a car sales person who was smarter than a light pole, but I have known more than a couple who understood the volume game well enough to make a decent living.
You haven't known many car salesman then. Some of the brightest most creative people I've known were in car sales, not necessarily the most ethical but definitely not dumb.

Mark
Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good opening post, then crap responses, IMHO.

Who's greedy, the salesman working for commission, or the buyer insistent on paying "invoice" and minimizing the commission?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Personally, in my car-buying experiences, I know more about the car than the salesperson does. What exactly is he or she doing to earn my money? Waste my time? Raise my blood pressure? Insult my intelligence?

To be honest, I could do without the whole process. I wish I could just order a car myself, from the factory, and pay the price they'd be charging the dealership. Then just pay the destination charge to either my home or some parking lot that used to be a car dealership
Old 03-02-2005, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,Mar 1 2005, 09:53 PM
Good opening post, then crap responses, IMHO.

Who's greedy, the salesman working for commission, or the buyer insistent on paying "invoice" and minimizing the commission?
Everyone's greedy, that's not really the point. Point is, if you don't have a starting point, like the invoice price, in mind, then where does the negotiation begin?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 1 2005, 07:12 PM
I have never, not once met a car sales person who was smarter than a light pole, but I have known more than a couple who understood the volume game well enough to make a decent living.
You did fine up to this point. I guess you just always get the bad ones (or they're drawn to you - sorry, couldn't resist). I've met a few that knew what they were talking about. However, knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence. Perhaps you're mixing up the two?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:48 AM

Frankly I dont feel sorry for them.

When my girlfriend was shopping a CR-V, they offered $470/month over 60 months! This was roughly $3000 over sticker for a CR-V. We didn't even counteroffer, we just got up and left.

Finally when we got a killer deal on a Civic at another dealer, the sales manager afterwards tried to push an extended warranty for $2000. When we refused, he gave us a speech that, "It's not illegal for dealers to make money" and then tossed over the paperwork when we were done.

Asses
Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

As I use to tell customers when they reacted badly to full pop offers "I didn't think you were a fool but if you were I sure didn't want to miss you" . This usually took the edge off and we could get down to selling them a vehicle.

Mark
Old 03-02-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dariusx,Mar 1 2005, 04:59 PM
I did not suggest that it was insulting to negotiate, but rather the notion of a customer presuming to know how much a dealer needs to make. The implication is that they know the dealers business costs and overhead enough to make that determination. That, I find somewhat insulting.
Here's something interesting for all car salesmen who may deal with me in the future- I DON'T CARE HOW THE BUSINESS IS RUN! There are two things I care about - the car and what I'm going to pay for it. Are you losing money on my transaction? I don't care (as Steve C said in one of his posts, you'll make it up elsewhere) Are you making money on my transaction? I don't care (if I'm satisfied with the price, I'm not going to complain)

When I bought my new cars ('98, '00, '05 Accords) I paid below invoice. When I bought my used s2000, I paid below the average price but I'm sure the dealer made a profit (it was traded in at there sister Acura dealership)
Old 03-02-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I have a hard time with people expecting me to care how they are doing in business. I don't want someone have to go on welfare, but last time I checked being a car salesman isn't the only gig in town. When my wife bought our Odessey they were real nice up until we declined to purchase the extended warranty....it's just pathetic when they put the sad face on...it make s me want to laugh and/or punch them.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts of an Internet Salesperson...