Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Solstice too small...damn.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 12 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm not a golfer so I will have to take your word for it... or we could ask the guys on the Solstice forum what clubs they used. He did say two bags with the top up.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3299
Jeebus Chriss, you gotta be kidding.... Thats the trunk?!?!?!?!?! Since the S is my daily driver I need a little trunk space, hell even my MX-5 had better trunk space than the solstice. I had high hopes for the car but in typical GM fashion (of the 5 vehicles I have owned, 3 were chevys) ergonomics has eluded them.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MulderATO,Jul 13 2005, 04:03 AM
Jeebus Chriss, you gotta be kidding.... Thats the trunk?!?!?!?!?! Since the S is my daily driver I need a little trunk space, hell even my MX-5 had better trunk space than the solstice. I had high hopes for the car but in typical GM fashion (of the 5 vehicles I have owned, 3 were chevys) ergonomics has eluded them.
For better or worse that's the trunk. I offered my opinion of why it's the shape it is above but I would love to hear GM's take. Really it looks like it offers more space than people thought but it's an odd shape. I will be curious to see this on the dealer's floor. It could be better than it appears, it could be much worse. Think of it like the pass through rear seats in many cars. Two cars may both have "folding rear seats" however, one may have a very large pass through. Others (like the recent Camry) fold to reveal an opening that is only 15" by 25" (far smaller than the forward wall of the trunk. Another example is the Miata trunk. A friend of mind had both a first and second generation Miata. In theory the trunk on the second generation car was bigger. Well the second generation car had a very shallow trunk with the spare tire under the floor. The first generation trunk had deeper, non-flat floor and the spare tire taking up some of the regular trunk space. He said the older, smaller trunk was actually better because it had the deep spot in the center. He could fit a bigger box in the old trunk because the new trunk was so shallow. When it came to taking trips in the Miata again he preferred the older car. He also mentioned that he used the space where the soft top folds (up or down) to hold larger bags. That something I think few roadsters (Miata, Z3 any others?) can do.
Basically it looks like the Solstice has more than the EPA's 1.8cf rating. The question is can that extra space be used effectively or not. It certainly won't be a selling point but if it may not be that bad in person (then again it could be really bad).
As for ergonomics, we have yet to see if they are good or bad.

BTW, contrary to one of the claims above, the bag is full sized and two can fit with the top up.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:56 AM

LOL at people (especially S2000 owners) complaining about lack of cargo room in GM's new sportscar!

If your main concern with your next car purchase is the ability to carry multiple sets of golf clubs in your vehicle, then a small, covertable sports car is probably not the ideal car to meet your transportation needs anyway...

Andrew
Old 07-13-2005, 05:04 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Jul 13 2005, 01:40 AM
If you want trucks then go to GM or Ford.
Actually I prefer the Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline over the domestic offerings.

Anyways you should look at the new Miata, same price range but much better car.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.....spending ten of millions in R&D money and marketing momey to design and market a convertible has literally no useable trunk space........when all its competitors and 99.99% cars out there have more trunk spaces......

Who would do such thing?

Oh it was GM...now it all make sense now.

Oh yeah, people who argue Solstice is a toy, of course it has no trunk space....people should not expect...blah blah blah

Miata has more trunk space, S2000 has more trunk space, Boxster has more trunk space, 911 vert has more trunk space.............

Maybe Solstice is sooooo special people who expect it to have a usable trunk is just dumb.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Jul 13 2005, 05:38 AM
Hmm.....spending ten of millions in R&D money and marketing momey to design and market a convertible has literally no useable trunk space........when all its competitors and 99.99% cars out there have more trunk spaces......
But that's just it, we don't know if it has no usable trunk space. The fact that you can get a full size set of clubs in the trunk with the top down (and two with the top up) suggests that it does have some useful trunk space.

Then again, Toyota decided it was OK to release the MR2-S with less space and without the benefits of good looks. So perhaps it should be GM and Toyota are clueless.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lotus Elise has more trunk space... like anyone who buys an Elise gives a shit about trunk space.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 AM

My 96' miata had almost no room for cargo at all in the trunk, I had no problem with that whatsoever. I bought that car to drive, not to lug around golf clubs. Same went for the S2000, it could have had no trunk at all, and I'd still have bought it. I'm just waiting a post now saying the Solstice is junk because it doesn't have enough cup holders or a picnic table that folds out with accessory ports in it.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mav,Jul 13 2005, 05:04 AM
Actually I prefer the Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline over the domestic offerings.

Anyways you should look at the new Miata, same price range but much better car.
There is certainly no guarantee that the Miata is a better car (probably will be but who's driven both?). I personally don't care for the look of the new Miata.

Having driven a Titian and a new F150, it was a really close call but the Titian is ugly (IMHO) so the Ford won. The Honda is really ugly (again IMHO) plus it's rather expensive. I'm not in the market for any of them and if I was I would drive all before making my choice. Given how lousy the last Accord I drove was (great interior, terrible handling) I certainly won
Old 07-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

The recent Toyota MR2 spyder has the same lack of trunk space and has not exactly been selling like hotcakes. (although I think the Solstice and Sky are better looking)

Lack of a trunk will cost them some sales but how much is anybody's guess. I still like the car (from a distance never driven one) but as a commuter car toy, and trunk space does not make THAT much difference to me. But being able to take a weekend jaunt in a $25K new car would be nice. Without that you are limited to the twisties within a few hours drive of your house.

I could give a rats about golf bags. I will learn that game when I am to old to do fun things.

Quick Reply: Solstice too small...damn.